What it said .

Early reviews of Johnny's newie that I've seen have NOT been good , with the San Francisco Chronicle's Mick LaSalle giving it that paper's equivalent of zero stars.........

Views: 1208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Yes , and our favorite entertainment magazines have always been an exception to that , mail subsriptions to comic books tend to be at not as much of a discount as has always tended to be true for the " real " Time/Better Homes & Gardens/Playboy type ones .

Richard Willis said:

As I understand it, newspapers and magazines offer heavily discounted subscriptions so they can show advertisers a guaranteed circulation number to justify their ad rates.

...Henry , I watched the mid-60s Filmation TLR series too - In the early 80s i am , now , aware that there was an animated LR series then .

Was it re-runs of the 60s one or new episodes ?

Or both ?????

Do you (or anyone else) know , please ???????

...Check the Videos section ~ JUMP ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!

...I saw it !!!!!!!!!!!

The early 1980s Filmation "Lone Ranger" series was, indeed, a different cartoon than the one the company made in the 1960s.

I have only seen one episode of the 1960s version and found it to be much better than then 1980s version. By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

The 1960s episode I saw was just an action story, and I loved the stylized designs of the characters.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Henry , I watched the mid-60s Filmation TLR series too - In the early 80s i am , now , aware that there was an animated LR series then .

Was it re-runs of the 60s one or new episodes ?

Or both ?????

Do you (or anyone else) know , please ???????

You saw the movie? Me too. Should we start a "spoilery" thread to talk about it?

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I saw it !!!!!!!!!!!

I think I saw one episode of the 80's (late 70's?) series.  Like the ZORRO cartoons of the same period, it was demasculated. NO violence of any kind allowed. So, The Lone Ranger couldn't draw his gun and shoot anyone-- and Zorro wasn't allowed to use his sword.  That's a great big WTF!!!!!!

This is, by the way, exactly why THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN had a "sunsword".  You couldn't exactly find one of those in real life.  (Although, Steve Gerber wondered how they ever got the scene where Thundarr SET FIRE to a field of dangerous drug-plants past the censors.)

The late-60's LONE RANGER cartoons, of course, were like THE WILD WILD WEST on acid.

I didn't realize both LR cartoon series were by the same studio.  (Really???  That's sad...)

I can understand the question, though.  The 1964 JONNY QUEST, when rerun on Saturday mornings in the 1970's, was BUTCHERED beyond all belief.  They CUT the entire first half of the opening credits (all that shooting and explosions!!!), several episodes were cut to ribbons.  In the "Mummy" episode-- INCREDIBLY-- every single shot of The Mummy onscreen was MISSING!!!! At first I thought, "Was this a SEQUEL I forgot about?"   And some episodes-- "The Invisible Monster" and "Monster Island" (??) were NOT show at all.  Somehow, "Turu The Terrible" was shown, but most of the violence was CUT-- and the scene of the insane old man in the wheelchair SINKING into the tar pit was also missing.  Really, there's no point even running a series if you're gonna run it like that!

A year or so after Comico licensed JQ to do their comic-book series, Hanna-Barbera got inspired to do their own revival.  (Some have said the cartoon revival came first-- THEY'RE WRONG.) The comic was wonderful.  The TV revival... almost unwatchable. And that was the LATE 80's.

I don't know that we need a non-spoiler Lone Ranger thread by now, or two separate ones. I'll just change the header.

-- MSA

I think this style assumes kids are stupid and can't clean the lesson from just watching the story.

Lumbering Jack said:
By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

Richard Willis said:

I think this style assumes kids are stupid and can't clean the lesson from just watching the story.

Lumbering Jack said:
By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

At the time, the "lesson of the day" approach was imposed on the animation studios by the networks.

...I suppose there's not a particular lot to SPOIL in it , it pretty much follows the Western/pulp genre formula...Tonto is implied to have Mystic Indian Wisdom/Powers , and the Ranger is given a romantic interest , even as the Ranger , who is - slightly - edgy , as it is - after his older brother's death - his o.b.'s widow (& mother of a child) who is furthermore strongly implied to have been a light romantic interest before the future Ranger went away to law school and o.b. moved in on her - Also , Tonto is give a back story where , as a pre-Civil War child , he is tricked (by a " Sears Roebuck " watch - ananchronism - gift) by evil white men into giving them Indian-only information that leads to said evil white men slaughtering Tonto's entire village/tribe and explains that damfool dead goose on the big T's haid...

...Yeah , MSA , considering that my Thursday night seeing of it - at the end of its 3d week now in a 78-80 seat auditorium , with about 8 (including moi) paying cudtomers , all male , 2 a father/chaild duo , the papa wearing thong sandals...

As for the Ranger's love interest , after all , we are told they everybody was a STRONG Bible reader back then !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 644 Super-Heroines
"Two good ones!"
8 minutes ago
Dave Elyea replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 644 Super-Heroines
"How about EC's Moon Girl (Claire Lune) & her sidekick Starlet (Selena Brown)?"
37 minutes ago
"Cool. Never read any E-Man."
1 hour ago
"Forgot about her.  Oddly enough, I have never read a "Dial H for hero" story."
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Fixed Points in Time
1 hour ago
Dave Elyea replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Fixed Points in Time
"Ok, I promise, this is the last time I beat this dead horse--in that Titans story, Speedy is…"
2 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Okay, I've got the hang of this month's theme although I put all my covers in two…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH 1999 COMICS POLL: By 1999, the Post was carrying 39 comics. It launched its…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion The New Season (2022)
"YOUNG SHELDON [S6]: If they're going to follow the backstory of The Big Bang Theory, this…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"I don't know if I ever thought about the truth behind this cover gag before I saw it, but I…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Fixed Points in Time
"What most of these suggestions lack is a specific date. Many of the of the historic events are…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I suspect my choices this month will fall into one of two categories: 1) long-running titles which…"
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service