Replies

• We've watched it since the beginning, and love it. It's a very smart show and it make you think.

• I think it's the best show on TV -- and this is a great era for TV. I wasn't home tonight, but we're looking forward to catching the premiere tomorrow.

• My wife watches it. I caught a couple of episodes of the first season and liked it, although I found the scenes of the young female spy in Russia unconvincing (she still looked 30s-40s). I'd have kept on, except that I don't have time for the shows I watch now. Maybe I'll binge it over the summer when there's less new material.

• I'm a big fan as well. Looking forward to this season.

• There aren't many of those flashbacks, Cap, so there's very little that will trip you up in that regard.

Captain Comics said:

My wife watches it. I caught a couple of episodes of the first season and liked it, although I found the scenes of the young female spy in Russia unconvincing (she still looked 30s-40s). I'd have kept on, except that I don't have time for the shows I watch now. Maybe I'll binge it over the summer when there's less new material.

• Captain Comics said: 

I'd have kept on, except that I don't have time for the shows I watch now. Maybe I'll binge it over the summer when there's less new material.

When you have time to watch it from the beginning you won't be disappointed.

• Did anyone watch last night's episode yet?

At the beginning, I thought, "What the heck?"

At the end, I thought, "Oh crap! This is gonna get ugly!"

• My reactions also.

I guess they are pretending to be the pilot and stewardess* who have adopted a Russian boy so they can get close to the Russian family who has apparently defected. The kid playing their adopted son seems more hard-core KGB than they are.

I assume that by digging up the dead KGB scientist they are trying to retrieve the deadly toxin in the interests of Mutually Assured Destruction. They likely assumed that the U.S. intelligence people have saved a sample also. As for shooting their clumsy assistant I would say they had little choice. What doesn't make sense is that the U.S. authorities would bury the body and not incinerate it.

* yes, they called them that back then.

• Oh yeah. As soon as he told the assistant to climb back up the ladder, I knew what was coming.

As for the incineration, there was a sign on the bag that said "Do Not Incinerate". I assume they didn't want to risk getting any of those toxins in the air.

Richard Willis said:

I assume that by digging up the dead KGB scientist they are trying to retrieve the deadly toxin in the interests of Mutually Assured Destruction. They likely assumed that the U.S. intelligence people have saved a sample also. As for shooting their clumsy assistant I would say they had little choice. What doesn't make sense is that the U.S. authorities would bury the body and not incinerate it.

* yes, they called them that back then.

• It looks like the op Phillip and Elizabeth are doing with their adopted "son" is going to be another one of those long mysteries without quick explanation, like how last season Elizabeth started selling cosmetics as part of a long, slow con. What's they're objective with that family? I'm dying to know.

BTW, if any of you listen to podcasts, The Americans Podcast that Slate produces is amazing. Showrunners and other guests from the show are always on, and it follows the show episode by episode. If you're a fan, definitely check it out. 

This reply was deleted.