I know there's at least one other fan of anime on this board, and perhaps more, so I thought I'd do a review of some of the anime I've watched. I'm hoping others will do the same.

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm two episodes in to a new sci-fi comedy anime on Cartoon Network's Saturday night Toonami block called Space Dandy.

Humorous, in a Monty Python attempts to adapt The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy kind of way, with the title character (think a Johnny Bravo-Austin Power's cross with a spaceship) wanting to claim the reward for identifying and cataloging every new alien he finds.

Unfortunately, no luck on that front (yet?) but considering some of the material and dialogue so far, it does have me wondering about the original version versus the TV presentation of this and other shows.

I know a lot of people really love Space Dandy. I tried it myself and it just didn't work for me.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I'm two episodes in to a new sci-fi comedy anime on Cartoon Network's Saturday night Toonami block called Space Dandy.

Humorous, in a Monty Python attempts to adapt The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy kind of way, with the title character (think a Johnny Bravo-Austin Power's cross with a spaceship) wanting to claim the reward for identifying and cataloging every new alien he finds.

Unfortunately, no luck on that front (yet?) but considering some of the material and dialogue so far, it does have me wondering about the original version versus the TV presentation of this and other shows.

Title: Blend-S

Episodes: 12

Category: Comedy/Slice of Life

Plot (Plot and character descriptions "liberated" from Wikipedia):

High school girl Maika Sakuranomiya has trouble finding a part-time job because of how scary she looks when smiling. However, she is scouted one day by an Italian man who is also the manager of Stile, a café where its waitresses are given unique traits such as tsundere and younger sister. Maika is given a sadist trait because of her looks and has to adopt a dominant and cruel persona when servicing customers, particularly masochist ones.

Characters:

Maika Sakuranomiya - a 16-year-old girl who despite having a positive and cheerful personality, unintentionally gains a sadistic look in her eyes whenever she smiles. This look catches the attention of Dino, who scouts her to be the 'sadistic girl' waitress at café Stile. Despite being told that the customers like being treated badly, her worrying about how she is treating customers gets the better of her, causing her to snap into an apologetic personality as soon as they have left. She comes from a very traditional family and works part time so she could study abroad using her own money. Her love of other countries also makes her develop an admiration towards Colonel Sanders (whom she refers to as the "old man from the chicken place") and Santa Claus. She adores Dino because of his blond hair but is oblivious to Dino's crush on her.

Kaho Hinata - ho is a 17-year-old waitress at Stile who acts as the tsundere. She loves playing video games and often visits arcades, but this usually causes her to quickly run out of money. Although she plays the tsundere girl, Kaho's real personality is that of a carefree and cheerful person. She has trouble keeping up her tsundere persona when customers are discussing video games, feeling the need to join in. She is currently the most popular waitress at Stile.

Mafuyu Hoshikawa - Mafuyu is another waitress at Stile who is actually a 21-year-old college student, but plays the younger sister character because of her petite figure. Her real personality is mature and she rarely shows emotion, but easily gets excited whenever her favorite series, Aisatsu (Magical Frill in the anime), is involved. She has a younger brother who is taller than her, and she has always wanted a younger sister, although she will not include Kaho because of Kaho's body figure.

Miu Amano - Miu is one of the waitresses who fulfills the older sister trait. She usually wears glasses and is a 22-year-old dōjinshi artist in a group called "Hanazono Folder" that draws adult comics. Miu initially came to the café as a customer, then Dino scouted her and she accepted to get inspiration for her dōjinshi. One of her hobbies is observing people, particularly the relationship between Dino and Maika; she even uses them as models in her dōjinshi.

Hideri Kanzaki - Hideri is a 16-year-old waitress who fulfills the idol trait. Hideri is actually a boy who dresses as a girl and aspires to become an idol. He works at Stile to gain fans; giving proof to his parents that he is talented, or else he has to inherit his family's farm. While he acts like a "cute" girl all the time, he can unintentionally become manly and sometimes helps Dino get closer to Maika.

Dino - Dino is a 26-year-old Italian manager of Stile and works in the kitchen. He loves anime girls and figurines, and often stays up late to watch late night anime. His nose bleeds whenever he gets excited. Due to his attraction for Japanese girls, particularly the black-haired ones, he develops an open crush on Maika, although Maika herself is oblivious to this fact. He lives on the second floor above Stile and took in a dog named Owner per Maika's request.

Kōyō Akizuki - Kōyō is the 21-year-old chef at Stile who loves yuri and always wants to see female customers being friendly to each other so he can imagine it. As someone who works at the same station as Dino, he has to work harder because the latter often slacks off. Like Kaho, he is also a gamer and later becomes more conscious of her.

Aika Sakuranomiya - is Maika's older sister who dresses in a yamato nadeshiko manner. She often worries about Maika because of her scary eyes. Like her sister, Aika is a natural sadistic character. She mistakes Dino as Maika's boyfriend.

Kōichi Sakuranomiya - Kōichi is Maika's older brother who is recognizable from his black hair with bangs parted in the middle. Like his sisters, he is a natural sadistic character. He is worried about Maika who has few friends because of her scary eyes. He mistakes Dino as Maika's boyfriend.

What's good:

This is just plain cute, and frequently hilarious. The characters are mostly adorable and very likeable, and it's a nice light-hearted change from some recent anime I've watched. Maika in particular is really fun and cute, and watching this series you find yourself rooting for all of the characters.

What doesn't work:

The only complaint I have--and it's extremely minor--is that I didn't really enjoy the character of Hideri. It just seems like they made him an obnoxious character mainly because they didn't have one, but the show had been just fine without said character.

Fanservice Level:

There;s fanservice, but it's not the blatant "in your face" annoying type. Sure, there's a beach episode, and it seems as if Kaho has no concept of what a brassiere is, but it's really done more for humor than anything. I didn't find it distracting.

Perverted Character(s)

Pretty much every male character in the anime is perverted in some way, yet once again it's really not obnoxious or off-putting. It's done primarily for the sake of humor, and in that manner it works.

Final Thoughts:

Blend-S is a cute, fun, frequently hilarious short series, and definitely worth a watch if you have the chance and feel so inclined.

My rating: 9/10

Blend-S is available on Crunchyroll.com.

Interesting. Another one that I was not familiar with.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service