I know there's at least one other fan of anime on this board, and perhaps more, so I thought I'd do a review of some of the anime I've watched. I'm hoping others will do the same.

Views: 976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just in case anyone is unaware of or interested in this, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim Toonami block is scheduled to start airing Fooly Cooly TWO, also known as Fooly Cooly: Progressive, tonight after the latest episode of My Hero Academia.

This is the first of two brand new follow up series made by the original creators.

Check local listings for time and channel.

For those of you not familiar with the original FLCL it's...weird. Very visually impressive, but really odd. However, the original was also only six episodes, so it was also pretty short. I don't know enough about this new version to make any recommendations, however.

Randy, et al.:

I haven't had a chance (as I post this) to watch FLCL2 on the DVR yet, but if it's even half as good as the original Fooly Cooly (which was about one alien coming to Earth trying to free another alien-or so she claimed) it should be very entertaining.

Title: Interviews With Monster Girls

Episodes: 13

Category:  Monster Girl Comedy

Plot:  

Demi-Humans (popularly known as "Demis") are genetically anomalous people who in the past were persecuted as monsters, but are now integrating into society.  (They're not actually supernatural, but did inspire legends about supernatural beings.)  One high school teacher tries to learn more about them.

Characters:

Tetsuo Takahashi – A biology teacher who is fascinated by demis, and tries to learn more about the demis in the school.

Hikari Takanashi – A vampire girl. She has fangs, is sensitive to light and needs to drink blood occasionally (the government supplies her with a unit of blood a month), but is otherwise a normal girl.  She's the typical "energetic girl", a poor student, but eager and prone to harebrained schemes. One of Tetsuo's students.

Kyoko Machi – A dullahan, her head is not physically attached to her body. (A physicist friend of Tetsuo's  theorized that a wormhole connected them.) She's a quiet, good-natured girl who has a bit of a crush on Tetsuo. One of Tetsuo's students.

Yuki Kusakabe– A snow woman (or "yuki-onna"), she has a low body temperature, and her sweat and tears tend to freeze.  She is the typical "shy girl who her friends help to come of her shell". One of Tetsuo's students.

Sakie Sato – A math teacher who's a few years younger than Tetsuo, she is a succubus, which means that she has a heightened aphrodisiac effect on those around her, especially men. As a consequence, she has to avoid physical contact with others. She also has a crush on Tetsuo, but the nature of her powers complicates any relationships she might have.

Himari Tanaknashi – Himari's younger, non-identical twin sister, she is a normal human girl. Subverting the usual cliche, she is the responsible, diligent sister. She is initially suspicious of Tetsuo's interest in her sister.

What's good:

I'm a sucker for stories that try to portray how people with different powers might fit into mundane society. The characters are engaging and likable, and the story enjoyable.

What doesn't work:

Nothing too bad, here. The characters are common "types", but are reasonably well-developed

Fanservice Level:

Minimal. 

Perverted Character:

None.

Final Thoughts:

I liked this a lot. It's one I could imagine re-watching. I also recommend the manga, of which I've read the first six volumes.  (The anime covers the first five or so.)

My rating: 9/10

Title: Nichijou (a.k.a. My Ordinary Life)

Episodes: 26 + "Episode 0"

Category:  Absurdist slice-of-life comedy

Plot:  

Various characters in an un-named town live their daily lives, very weirdly.

Characters:

There are dozens of characters (It's almost like a Japanese "Springfield"), but these are the main ones

Yuko Aioi – Another "energetic girl", she is bright and cheerful, but never does her homework. 

Mio Naganohara – A friend and classmate of Yuko's, she's the closest thing here to a "normal girl". She aspires to be a manga artist, and draws yaoi stories about a male classmate she has a crush on. 

Mai Minakami – A friend and classmate of Yuko and Mio, she is quiet and unemotional, but likes to play weird pranks on people. Likes to carve wooden statues of gods and buddhas.

Nano Shinonome – A  robot who looks and acts like a high school girl (only the huge wind-up key on her back spoils the illusion), she desires to live  normal life. She lives in the Shinonome Lab with her creator.  About halfway through the series, she begins going to school and becomes friends with Yuko, Mio and Mai.

Hakase – A bratty eight year-old girl  who also happens to be a scientific genius, she is Nano's creator.  ("Hakase" is more of a title than a name. In the manga, she is called "Professor".)  

Sakamoto – A cat adopted by Nano and Hakase.  Hakase gave him a  scarf that allows him to speak. Thinks of himself as the adult of the household.

What's good:

Amusing and absurd, it appeals to my sense of humor. 

What doesn't work:

Depends on your taste. If you don''t like random absurdity, you might not like this.

Fanservice Level:

None.

Perverted Character:

None.

Final Thoughts:

I like this a lot. I've already gone back and re-watched a couple of my favorite episodes..

My rating: 9/10

I don't know if the Baron has seen this but I think it's something that he might enjoy.

https://youtu.be/wC2Iov1pCDg

Well, there's always this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service