I know there's at least one other fan of anime on this board, and perhaps more, so I thought I'd do a review of some of the anime I've watched. I'm hoping others will do the same.

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The recently completed Gundam Unicorn on Adult Swim was pretty good.

Even if anime is starting to "cut corners" and "curb expenses" like American animation, it's still the story as much as the visuals that make a compelling production.

But I would love to see some of the classics like Star Blazers/Space Cruiser Yamoto or Robotech air again, just for the sake of seeing them again if nothing else.

Title: Amagi Brilliant Park

Episodes: 13 episodes

Category:  Comedy

Plot:  Seiya Kanie is forced at gunpoint to accompany Isuzu Sento to a run down amusement park. After their “date” she asks him for his opinion about the park, and he tells her it’s terrible. She then convinces him to become manager of the park, as they need to attract 500,000 visitors by a certain date. Oh, and did I mention that most of the attractions and performers at the park are from a fairy dimension?

What's good: For the most part, this is pretty damned hilarious. Kanie’s predicament is made even worse by some of the performers he inherits, notably park mascots Moffle, Macaron and Tiramy. Each of them look cute and loveable, but are anything but, as they love to drink, Tiramy is a complete pervert, and Moffle loves to fight, especially park guests.

Most of the characters in the show are nicely realized, in fact. Kanie is a good protagonist, as for all his good qualities he’s also tremendously arrogant. Sento is the overbearing caretaker of the park with no management skills. There are a number of other, secondary characters that add a great deal to the cast and the interactions as well. One of my favorite episodes—and one I can relate to quite easily—is one where the park is attacked by pirates from the fairy dimension, and all of the guests assume it’s just part of the show.

There are no particular surprises plot-wise, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

What doesn't work: There are a handful of characters that really don’t work so well. For instance, there’s a princess whose life is tied to the popularity of the park, and while she’s inoffensive enough, there’s little else to say about her. Also, the ending feels a tad rushed. The last episode also seems tacked on or out of place, as it likely should have taken place before the ending episodes.

Additionally, there’s a plot point involving Kanie that’s not really elaborated on enough in that he used to be a child star. We sort of get an impression of why he stopped, but I would have liked to have seen it better explored.

Fanservice Level: Moderate. It’s there, but it’s not in your face.

Final Thoughts: It’s quite funny, and an enjoyable romp. Like I said, the plot isn’t anything new really, but it does suck you in.

My rating: 8/10

Yeah, there are some old ones I've been thinking about re-watching myself, notably Yu-Yu Hakusho.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

The recently completed Gundam Unicorn on Adult Swim was pretty good.

Even if anime is starting to "cut corners" and "curb expenses" like American animation, it's still the story as much as the visuals that make a compelling production.

But I would love to see some of the classics like Star Blazers/Space Cruiser Yamoto or Robotech air again, just for the sake of seeing them again if nothing else.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service