The Baron Re-Reads the Whole Death and Re-Birth of Superman Storyline

Yeah, I know, another thing that isn't a "timeline" as such, although it will involve time travel of sorts, back to the wild and woolly days of 1992, when dinosaurs walked the Earth.  I hadn't read the Superman comics much for years when this story was announced, but I decided to follow it for fun.  I knew they weren't going to really kill him off, but I was interested to see what they would do.  I started offf with....

Superman: The Man of Steel #18 (December 1992): "Doomsday! Part One"

Written by Louise Simonson, with art by Jon Bogdnaove and Dennis Janke.

This story has two threads interspersed with one another:

1. Lois and Superman get caught up fighting a race of sewer people who want to take over Metropolis. Supes handles them fairly easily - this is just another day at the office for him.
  2. Doomsday punches his way out of a box, them establishes his bad-arsehood by crushing a birdie, then disrupting traffic and smashing a truck. The story ends with Oberon overhearing a police report about it, and deciding that this is a job for the Justice League! I'm sur ethey'll be able to handle it no problem!

An interesting slow build. If I hadn't of known that this was going to be the critter that was going to "kill" Superman, I wouldn't of suspected it from this. I sometimes think that they do themselves a disservice by hyping these stories the way they do. Think of how much more of a mind-blower it would of been if the "death of Superman" had been a surprise.

I wasn't overwhelmed by the art on this - it's not bad, just not very good, either.  I tell you, I liked liked Doomsday's initial "containment suit" look better than his later Cranky Grandpa Zombie on Terrigen-Enhanced Steroids look.

Views: 1678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the book version ....the episode of the battle with the sewer people who want to take over Metropolis is completely skipped over!  Maybe this tale of the sewer people does not translate very well to the printed word as compared to the comic book graphics?

Joe Sherrod said:

In the book version ....the episode of the battle with the sewer people who want to take over Metropolis is completely skipped over!  Maybe this tale of the sewer people does not translate very well to the printed word as compared to the comic book graphics?

That, or maybe they wanted to trim the story a bit, and felt that part was expendable.

I always thought that the tomb that Doomsday was kept in before he escaped was odd??   I mean... if he was punished and put into this crypt by the Kryptonians why put it on earth!    Why not have this crypt sent to the far reaches of the known/unknown galaxy?    Or for more logical reasons why was Doomsday not sent to the Phantom Zone?

The Supergirl depicted here is not the real Supergirl....this Supergirl is a changling and although she can mimic some of supergirl's powers....she does not have the real powers...that is why she has episodes of weakness (without exposure to kryponite) and that scene where Doomsday rips off her face....that would not have happened to the real supergirl!  Also this Supergirl is sleeping with Lex Luthor,Jr.  I think that the real Supergirl would have been more savvy than this!  ...or at least figured out that this was really Lex Luthor!  I followed this series book by book when it first came out plus read the novel by Roger Stern. I may have missed something concerning all the stuff concerning this changling Supergirl?  Man of Steel #19 (January 1993): "Doomsday is Here!"

Written by Louise Simonson, with art by Jon Bogdanove and Dennis Janke.

Superman battles Doomsday as the Kents watch it on TV. Supergirl tries to help, but Doomsday literally punches her face off, in a scene that manages to be comical and disturbing at the same time. Professor Hami;ton and Bibbo attack him with a ray gun. Turpin and Sawyer also join in the fight, as do some Cadmus types. We end with Superman determining to make his final stand in Metropolis.

On a completely unrelated note, why do the UFOs never try to shoot down SID, instead of just letting it sit there, tracking them all the time?  Also, Ed Straker isn't much of a "people person", is he?

Overall: Not a bad issue. It finally feels like we're getting some movement in this story.

Doing more reading this Supergirl was considered a "Matrix Thing".....so .....Is there a difference between a "Matrix Thing" and a "Changling"?

My understanding is that she is referred to as Matrix Supergirl because she was artificially created (molded) by Luthor.

So her am Bizarro that didn't look Bizarro?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service