The Baron Re-Watches "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" (SPOILERS)

I thought I'd try something low-maintenance. We begin with...

"What a Night for a Knight"

Scooby-Doo and the gang investigate the mysterious Black Knight, who turns out to be Mister Wickles the curator, who is running an art forgery ring.

Notes:

• We get the first appearance of Scooby-Snacks.
  • Velma loses her glasses for the first time.
  • Daphne describes Shaggy as "the swingingest gymnast in school".
  • Shaggy can do ventriloquism.
  • Freddie is not named during this episode.
  • Scooby and the gang break into a museum and trash several exhibits, without any apparent consequences.

Overall: An OK episode.  Not much of a mystery, even by cartoon standards. Mister Wickles is the only possible suspect.

Views: 1316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Copyright was tricky even back then.  In the Legends of the Superhero roast I think they used Captain Marvel, Huntress and Black Canary instead of Superman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

Ronald Morgan said:

Still some copyright problems on some episodes of the New Scooby Doo Movies so not all of them can be released on DVD.

Let's face it Velma has strength and smarts.  

The Baron said:

"That's Snow Ghost"

The gang goes to Wolf's End ski lodge, where they encounter a Snow Ghost, who turns out to be lodge owner Mr. Greenway. He and his partner, Mr. Leech, are smuggling stolen jewels.

Notes:

• Separated at birth?  The Snow Ghost and Xemnu the Titan

• Greenway and Leech are parodies of Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre.
  • Velma can run while carrying Shaggy, Scooby and Freddy.
  • Shaggy and Freddy can drive snowmobiles.
  • Velma can tell the difference between Chinese and Tibetan artefacts.

Overall:  One of my favorites.

Ronald Morgan said:

Still some copyright problems on some episodes of the New Scooby Doo Movies so not all of them can be released on DVD.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Copyright was tricky even back then.  In the Legends of the Superhero roast I think they used Captain Marvel, Huntress and Black Canary instead of Superman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

That probably wasn't a copyright issue but a rights issue -- that is, there were likely deals pending for those characters for other TV shows or movies at the time. 

Richard Willis said:

The Baron said:
"Scooby-Doo and a Mummy, Too"

This episode title is, I think, a take-off on a popular rhyming title ending in "too" that was popular at the time. There were a lot of homages to it. Can't think what it was.

Tippecanoe and Tyler, too.

I first encountered it in a Batman coloring book. Batman had overturned a canoe full of bad guys, and the caption was, "Tippy canoe and get wet, too!"

"Nowhere to Hyde"

Scooby and the gang encounter the Ghost of Mister Hyde, who is stealing jewels. (What would a ghost want with jewels?) He turns out to be the great-grandson of the original Doctor Jekyll.

Notes:

• The first episode of the second season, with a new opening and new recording of the theme. I liked the originals better.
  • It's also Heather North's first outing, replacing Stefanianna Christopherson as the voice of Daphne.
  • Also the first episode with a wacky chase scene over a vapid pop tune.

Overall: An OK episode. Dr. Jekyll attempts to frame his brutish maid, Helga, which is a first.

When I think about it Black Canary would have been perfect for an adventure show in that time period.  In the era of Charlie's Angels and the Bionic Woman a show with her would have worked.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Ronald Morgan said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

That probably wasn't a copyright issue but a rights issue -- that is, there were likely deals pending for those characters for other TV shows or movies at the time. 

I really don't remember noticing either change back then.

The Baron said:

"Nowhere to Hyde"

Scooby and the gang encounter the Ghost of Mister Hyde, who is stealing jewels. (What would a ghost want with jewels?) He turns out to be the great-grandson of the original Doctor Jekyll.

Notes:

• The first episode of the second season, with a new opening and new recording of the theme. I liked the originals better.
  • It's also Heather North's first outing, replacing Stefanianna Christopherson as the voice of Daphne.
  • Also the first episode with a wacky chase scene over a vapid pop tune.

Overall: An OK episode. Dr. Jekyll attempts to frame his brutish maid, Helga, which is a first.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Tippecanoe and Tyler, too.

I first encountered it in a Batman coloring book. Batman had overturned a canoe full of bad guys, and the caption was, "Tippy canoe and get wet, too!"

I'm sure that's it, Jeff. As the Wiki site says, Tippecanoe was the nickname for William Henry Harrison, the general at the Battle of Tippecanoe. He has the distinction of being the President with the shortest term of office, dying one month after being inaugurated. John Tyler was the first Vice President to become President in this way.

The Baron said:

Scooby inherits a million dollars in Confederate money.

How much did he get from selling it on the collectors' market?

Luke Blanchard said:

The Baron said:
Scooby inherits a million dollars in Confederate money.

How much did he get from selling it on the collectors' market?

I think the standard attitude in popular culture in the 1970s was that the money was totally worthless. Like anything else, we know it's all about condition, supply and demand.

There was a Carl Barks story where Scrooge (or was it Donald) ends up with Confederate money. Saying it's worthless, he gives it to the nephews to use as pay money. An old Southern colonel happens to turn up and buys it from them because he misses seeing Confederate money. Just when did those stories take place that Civil War soldiers were still walking around?

... Something like slightly past 112 is the absolute upper limit proven , in modern times , for a life (115 ?)...Early 50s story ? They still had youthful cabin boys and drummer boys on both sides in the Civil War , I think , so...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service