I thought I'd try something low-maintenance. We begin with...

"What a Night for a Knight"

Scooby-Doo and the gang investigate the mysterious Black Knight, who turns out to be Mister Wickles the curator, who is running an art forgery ring.

Notes:

• We get the first appearance of Scooby-Snacks.
  • Velma loses her glasses for the first time.
  • Daphne describes Shaggy as "the swingingest gymnast in school".
  • Shaggy can do ventriloquism.
  • Freddie is not named during this episode.
  • Scooby and the gang break into a museum and trash several exhibits, without any apparent consequences.

Overall: An OK episode.  Not much of a mystery, even by cartoon standards. Mister Wickles is the only possible suspect.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't they ever mentioned the characters last names in the original series did they? 

• Not that I recall.  That's one thing I'm going to watch out for.

• Best money I ever spent on a DVD set. I'm surprised my daughters didn't wear out the discs (but we've gone through many players). 

• I remember specifically watching this show from the very beginning. (Sesame Street, too.)

• There was one  other thing I was looking out for: Does anyone actually understand Scooby's"speech"?  H certainly seems to understand them, but it's a little more uncertain as to whether they understand him any more than a human might understand a dog.

•   I think they all understood him.

The Baron said:

There was one  other thing I was looking out for: Does anyone actually understand Scooby's"speech"?  H certainly seems to understand them, but it's a little more uncertain as to whether they understand him any more than a human might understand a dog.

• I'm sure Shaggy does, but I'm also sure he has some ... chemical assistance.
  •   There were a lot of things about that series I just took for granted when I was 6.  Scooby talking was one of them.  I used to try to speed read the credits to see who did what.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I'm sure Shaggy does, but I'm also sure he has some ... chemical assistance.
  • Fred notes "Looks like we have another mystery on our hands." This suggests the never aired pilot still exists in continuity. This first episode doesn't follow the format we'll see again and again in later episodes.

Many people forget that the Daphne we're all familiar with is not the original. How many episodes does the first girl appear in?

Actually I believe their last names don't appear for quite a few years. And I think we won't get Shaggy's real first name until the 80s.

• There's an internet horror story that says the whole show is Shaggy and the others having a really wild drug trip.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I'm sure Shaggy does, but I'm also sure he has some ... chemical assistance.
This reply was deleted.