The Baron Re-Watches "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" (SPOILERS)

I thought I'd try something low-maintenance. We begin with...

"What a Night for a Knight"

Scooby-Doo and the gang investigate the mysterious Black Knight, who turns out to be Mister Wickles the curator, who is running an art forgery ring.

Notes:

• We get the first appearance of Scooby-Snacks.
  • Velma loses her glasses for the first time.
  • Daphne describes Shaggy as "the swingingest gymnast in school".
  • Shaggy can do ventriloquism.
  • Freddie is not named during this episode.
  • Scooby and the gang break into a museum and trash several exhibits, without any apparent consequences.

Overall: An OK episode.  Not much of a mystery, even by cartoon standards. Mister Wickles is the only possible suspect.

Views: 1320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But how many 112 year olds are taking long walks, going on ocean cruises unsupervised, and carry the cash to buy expensive things they just happen to come across? After running across two or three of them you'd be wondering where they were coming from and what their secret was.

About as many who buy old cash from talking ducks?

It's an interesting point, though, and part of the reason Don Rosa keeps his stories between 1947-1967. He wanted them to stay rooted in an actual era, established by Barks' stories (and we won't ask why Donald's nephews don't age over twenty years).

Ronald Morgan said:

But how many 112 year olds are taking long walks, going on ocean cruises unsupervised, and carry the cash to buy expensive things they just happen to come across? After running across two or three of them you'd be wondering where they were coming from and what their secret was.

"Mystery Mask Mix-Up"

While at a Chinese New Year's  parade, Scooby and the gang encounter the Ghost of Zentuo, who turns out to be Mister Fong, head of an international smuggling ring.  

Notes:  

• The depiction of Chinese people and culture is well-meaning and generally only mildly racist. However, there is a bit where Shaggy and Scooby pose as Chinese waiters that is painful to watch.
  • Velma can read Chinese.

Overall:  A so-so episode.

Out of curiosity I did an internet search for the Confederate money story. It turns out that it appeared in Four Color #379(MAR52). The story, "Southern Hospitality," was NOT a Carl Barks story. Apparently in this time period they were trying to ease Barks out of the duck books, and a handful were produced by others. According to GCD, the creative team for this 22-page story (only 2/3 of the comic!) was Del Connell (script) and Bob Moore (full art). Moore also did the cover. I haven't read the story and, since I'm only getting Barks collections, am not likely to do so. By the time I started getting the duck books (1956?) they were reprints of old Barks stories.

This site gives background and speculation about the non-Barks stories.

"Jeepers, It's the Creeper"

Scooby and the gang encounter the Creeper, a bank-robbing ghost, who turns out to be bank president Mr.Carswell.

Notes: 

• Scooby and the gang attend the school dance and hayride, which seems to indicate that they're in school at some level.
  • Scooby-Doo can talk to chickens.

Overall: A so-so episode.

But it has the Creeper! The best Scooby-doo villain ever!

Seriously, he was the only character in the history of Scooby-doo I ever found remotely frightening. Well, and maybe that pre-Gacy proto-It clown.

And Scrappy.

The Baron said:

JD DeLuzio said:

But it has the Creeper! The best Scooby-doo villain ever!

Seriously, he was the only character in the history of Scooby-doo I ever found remotely frightening. Well, and maybe that pre-Gacy proto-It clown.

And Scrappy.

The Baron said:

Interesting. Never was that overwhelmed by the Creeper, myself. Everyone has their tastes, I guess.

"Scooby's Night With a Frozen Fright"

Scooby and the gang encounter an unfrozen caveman at Oceanland. It turns out to be Prof. Wayne, who's out to steal Prof. Ingstrom's new marine life communicator.

Notes:

• Velma calls a dolphin a fish.
  • Velma runs while carrying Shaggy, Scooby, Freddy and  Daphne.

Overall: Another favorite episode.

I did like the dancing at the end of the episode.

The Baron said:

Velma calls a dolphin a fish.

What? Something Velma doesn't know!

"The Haunted House Hang-Up"

On their way to a rock festival, the gang encounters the Headless Spectre, who turns out to be Penrod Stillwall, who's simply trying  to scare away treasure hunters from his property.  The real villain turns out to be his neighbor, Asa Shanks, who wants the treasure for himself.

Notes:

• Shaggy can play the guitar.
  • Scooby-Doo can play the drums.

Overall: Interesting. the first one where the "ghost" wasn't really the "bad guy".

"A Tiki Scare Is No Fair"

The gang's in Hawaii on a tour arranged by a Mr. Simms. They encounter Mano Tiki Tia and a witch doctor, who turnout to be Mr. Simms and a parade float, fronting a gang of pearl thieves.

Notes:

• The Mystery Machine is in Hawaii, which means that someone forked out whatever it would cost to ship it there.
  • Velma once again runs while carrying everyone.
  • Shaggy can juggle.
  • Shaggy can play the drums.
  • There's no song in this episode.
  • Perhaps it wasn't wise of Simms to bring a team of mystery solvers to where he was doing a crime.

Overall: An OK episode.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service