The Baron Re-Watches "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" (SPOILERS)

I thought I'd try something low-maintenance. We begin with...

"What a Night for a Knight"

Scooby-Doo and the gang investigate the mysterious Black Knight, who turns out to be Mister Wickles the curator, who is running an art forgery ring.

Notes:

• We get the first appearance of Scooby-Snacks.
  • Velma loses her glasses for the first time.
  • Daphne describes Shaggy as "the swingingest gymnast in school".
  • Shaggy can do ventriloquism.
  • Freddie is not named during this episode.
  • Scooby and the gang break into a museum and trash several exhibits, without any apparent consequences.

Overall: An OK episode.  Not much of a mystery, even by cartoon standards. Mister Wickles is the only possible suspect.

Views: 1309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember - the Stooges were on Channel 38  and the Creature Feature was on Channel  56.

Were UHF signals good when you were kids?

Richard Willis said:

Reasonably good.  They could be affected by the weather, though.

"The Frickert Fracas"

Featuring: Jonathan Winters"

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?:  Dunno. I'm pretty sure that I didn't when I first saw this.

The gang meets Jonathan Winters and his friend, Maude Frickert, and help to stop banker Simon Shaky from stealing a secret chicken feed recipe.

Notes:

• Velma says "Jinkies!" here.

Overall:  A so-so episode. They manage the difficult trick of making Jonathan Winters unfunny.  There's one scene where he does an interminable imitation of the police arriving that is really awful.

Depended a lot on the antenna and where you were.

Richard Willis said:

The Baron said:

The gang meets Jonathan Winters and his friend, Maude Frickert, and help to stop banker Simon Shaky from stealing a secret chicken feed recipe.

Did Jonathan appear in a scene with Maude? That would be like Batman shaking hands with Bruce Wayne.

I'm not sure what year you are talking about. I'm pretty sure I saw him on the Tonight Show when I was still a kid in the early to mid 60s. I think I was allowed to stay up later than many kids. I was 12 in 1960. He had his own TV series (twice) and was on every (G-rated) prime-time variety show there was. Towards the end (1981-82) of the Mork and Mindy show he played Mork's baby. His comedy style was accessible to children of all ages and most kids had probably seen him a few times.

Yes, Jonathan appeared with Maude, using the conceit that she was an actual person that he mimicked as part of his act.

This was around 1972.

Richard Willis said:

The Baron said:

Did Jonathan appear in a scene with Maude? That would be like Batman shaking hands with Bruce Wayne.

Or like the ep of The Honeymooners where Ralph and Ed meet tv stars Jackie Gleason and Art Carney?

The Honeymooners - Catch A Star by thehoneymooners123

"Guess Who's Knott Coming to Dinner?"

Featuring:  Don Knotts

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?:  I expect so. I knew as "Barney Fife" from endless re-runs of The Andy Griffith Show.

Lost, the gang ends up at Moody Manor, where they encounter what is either a detective played by Don Knotts, or the actual Don Knotts pretending to be a detective (The script ins't quite clear on this.), who had been kidnapped by two of his nephews, who are eager to anticipate their inheritance.

Overall: this is badly-written, and Knotts isn't funny in this at all. The animation is less than stellar, too.

At that point Knotts was doing well with his movie career.

I recall him being in some kids' movies, before going on to replace the Ropers on Three's Company.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

At that point Knotts was doing well with his movie career.

"And they called them the Apple Dumpling Gang ..."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service