The Baron Re-Watches "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" (SPOILERS)

I thought I'd try something low-maintenance. We begin with...

"What a Night for a Knight"

Scooby-Doo and the gang investigate the mysterious Black Knight, who turns out to be Mister Wickles the curator, who is running an art forgery ring.

Notes:

• We get the first appearance of Scooby-Snacks.
  • Velma loses her glasses for the first time.
  • Daphne describes Shaggy as "the swingingest gymnast in school".
  • Shaggy can do ventriloquism.
  • Freddie is not named during this episode.
  • Scooby and the gang break into a museum and trash several exhibits, without any apparent consequences.

Overall: An OK episode.  Not much of a mystery, even by cartoon standards. Mister Wickles is the only possible suspect.

Views: 1309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Weird Winds of Winona"

Featuring: Speed Buggy and pals

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?: Probably.  I never watched Speed Buggy myself. Probably it was on opposite something else I liked better.

The gang meets Speed Buggy and pals on their way to the Oceanside Auto Rally. They learn that the small town of Winona is haunted by strange winds. they solve the mystery, learning that banker P.J. Peabody is trying to scare away the locals so he can develop the town.

Notes: 

• Speed Buggy's pal Debbie has heard of Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy and is impressed to meet them, indicating that they are at least minor-league celebrities. 
  • Again, there are seven healthy young adults here, plus a Great Dane and a talking car.  The heels should be running from them.
  • Tinker seems to be a Shaggy knock-off. Velma even calls attention to it, saying "One Shaggy in this outfit is enough!"

Overall: An OK episode.

The Baron said:

"Weird Winds of Winona"

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?: Probably.  I never watched Speed Buggy myself. Probably it was on opposite something else I liked better.

I'm sure I probably watched Speed Buggy at one time or another, but since it was even then a pretty obvious imitation of Scooby-Doo -- one of many Hanna-Barbera gave us, including Clue Club and The Funky Phantom -- there wasn't much to recommend it.

I never questioned why big name stars did the voices.  Then again at that age I didn't really know the difference between a star and a non-star.  To me they were all just people on tv.

The Baron said:

"The Exterminator"

Featuring: Don Adams

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?:  I certainly did, both as the star of Get Smart! and as the voice of Tennessee Tuxedo.

In Hollywood, the gang encounter Don Adams, who is working as an exterminator.  He takes them on as assistants as he goes to work on the home of horror star Lorne Chumly, who tries to spook them away so that the bank can't foreclose on his house before he completes his comeback movie.

Notes:

• Even as a little kid, I wondered why big-name actors were doing side jobs the way Adams is in this episode.
  • Shaggy and Scooby's cowardice seems to have been really ramped up for this episode, he's downright obnoxious here.

Overall; A so-so episode.

It was amazing how much Scooby and Speed Buggy sounded alike, at least in the way they spoke.

ClarkKent_DC said:

The Baron said:

"Weird Winds of Winona"

I'm sure I probably watched Speed Buggy at one time or another, but since it was even then a pretty obvious imitation of Scooby-Doo -- one of many Hanna-Barbera gave us, including Clue Club and The Funky Phantom -- there wasn't much to recommend it.

Even as a little kid, I wondered why big-name actors were doing side jobs the way Adams is in this episode.

Wait, are we wondering why, in the real world, Don Adams would be voicing a Scooby-doo episode, or why, in the world of Scooby-doo, he had to work as an exterminator?

I didn't realize at the time the significance of the actor's name, both a spin on "Lon Chaney" and a reference to Tennessee Tuxedo's sidekick.

The Baron said:

In Hollywood, the gang encounter Don Adams, who is working as an exterminator. He takes them on as assistants as he goes to work on the home of horror star Lorne Chumly, who tries to spook them away so that the bank can't foreclose on his house before he completes his comeback movie.

Notes:
Even as a little kid, I wondered why big-name actors were doing side jobs the way Adams is in this episode.

The original comment (above) was I think that that character in the cartoon was said to actually be Don Adams, who was working a side job as an exterminator. If he was playing a character by another name (or a penguin) then he's just functioning as a voice actor, which is nothing to be ashamed of. He wasn't making a million dollars but I don't think Don Adams (once he was established) would be working as an exterminator.

I also missed the Chumly reference.

JD DeLuzio said:

Wait, are we wondering why, in the real world, Don Adams would be voicing a Scooby-doo episode, or why, in the world of Scooby-doo, he had to work as an exterminator?

I was wondering why, in-story, dona Adams would be working as an exterminator.  The gang describes him as "the  famous Don Adams".

Come to that, they described most of the celebrities they met as "the famous (name)", which sounds kind of stilted, now that I think of it.

"The Haunted Candy Factory"

Featuring : Cass Elliot

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?:  Dunno. hadn't heard of her.

Cass' candy factory is haunted by Green Globs, who turn out to be factory foreman Mr. Crink and Sterling Smith, a gold swindler, trying to use the factory to smuggle stolen gold.

Notes:

• This episode is an almost constant stream of fat jokes, which is fairly cringe-inducing.
  • Scooby eats a fair amount of chocolate in this episode without apparent ill effects.

Overall: A so-so episode, perhaps most interesting as a sort of bizarre curiosity.

"Scooby-Doo Meets Dick Van Dyke"

Featuring: Dick Van Dyke

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?: Yeah, The Dick Van Dyke Show was still in constant  re-runs at the time.

The gang visits Dick's carnival, only to find it deserted because it's haunted by a ghost, who turns out to be a strongman who wanted to drive Dick away so he could have the carnival for himself.

Notes:

• This is the last episode in the set that I have.

Overall: A so-so episode.

And let's not forget Van Dyke's kid celebrity status as the guy from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins.

I was hoping we'd get reviews of the other episodes. They encounter actual supernatural creatures in the form of the Addams Family and Jeannie, and I seem to recall them knowing who the cast of the Jeannie cartoon are, which makes no sense. Did they go to school together? Wasn't Jeannie's existence a secret?

I'm overthinking this, right?

They are cringe worthy now, but I didn't think of them at all when I was a kid.  When you think about it the media as a whole was rather insensitive by todays standards.  I think if not for the heart attack Mama Cass might have kept on and been star in her own right.

The Baron said:

"The Haunted Candy Factory"

Featuring : Cass Elliot

Would A Kid Back Then have Known Who They Were?:  Dunno. hadn't heard of her.

Cass' candy factory is haunted by Green Globs, who turn out to be factory foreman Mr. Crink and Sterling Smith, a gold swindler, trying to use the factory to smuggle stolen gold.

Notes:

• This episode is an almost constant stream of fat jokes, which is fairly cringe-inducing.
  • Scooby eats a fair amount of chocolate in this episode without apparent ill effects.

Overall: A so-so episode, perhaps most interesting as a sort of bizarre curiosity.

That puzzled me at the time too, since one of the mainstays of the original show was 'there was no such thing as ghost', the sort of line always proved true but then they meet Jeanie and Taboo.  If jeanies exists so can ghosts.

JD DeLuzio said:

And let's not forget Van Dyke's kid celebrity status as the guy from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins.

I was hoping we'd get reviews of the other episodes. They encounter actual supernatural creatures in the form of the Addams Family and Jeannie, and I seem to recall them knowing who the cast of the Jeannie cartoon are, which makes no sense. Did they go to school together? Wasn't Jeannie's existence a secret?

I'm overthinking this, right?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service