The Baron Re-Watches "Sealab 2021"

Season One, Episode One:  "I, Robot"

Characters We Meet:

• Captain Murphy - Commander of Sealab, incompetent, petulant and self-absorbed, looks a bit like Race Bannon.
  • Sparks - The radioman, never gets out of his chair.  A white guy.
  • Marco - Hispanic man, voiced by Erik Estrada.
  • Debbie - Blonde white woman.
  • Dr. Quinn - African-American man , a "one sane man" character. a super-genius.
  • Stormy  - Not very bright white guy.
  • Hesh - Weird little white guy, some kind of underling. Refers to himself in the third person.

Story: A ship collides with Sealab, causing a dangerous hull breach. However, almost everyone is obsessed with a news story they about a monkey's brain beeing implanted in a robot body, beginning lengthy debate about whether they would want robot bodies and what the rules of having robot bodies would be. It is left to Quinn to repair the hull breach.  He reveals to the others that he is already a cyborg, with a robot body of his own design.  The episode ends with Sealab exploding.

Overall: A fun start.  I'm a sucker for situations where people obsess about stupid stuff while serious things are going on all around them.  I also like the distinctive voice of Harry Goz, the actor who performed the voice of Captain Murphy. For some reason, the way he says  "Holy crap!" just kills me.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• FYI, Hesh was voiced by nerd ore rapper mc chris, who also voiced MC Pee Pants on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. 

• Interesitng. Always wondered who he was.

Randy Jackson said:

FYI, Hesh was voiced by nerd ore rapper mc chris, who also voiced MC Pee Pants on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. 

• You might recognize this tune:

https://youtu.be/CJvxEjGpIqU

• Interesting.  No,never heard that one before.

Randy Jackson said:

You might recognize this tune:

https://youtu.be/CJvxEjGpIqU

• Season One, Episode Two: "HappyCake"

Story:  Sparks steals Captain Murphy's HappyCake Oven as part of his plot to drive Murphy insane, which is in turn part of his plan for world domination.  (Sparks is shown to have  amountain base and an army of henchmen.) Murphy sends Quinn,Stormy and a Frenchman out to reitriever the oven from a giant squid, which they do.  Sealab explodes again, but it was all a dream.

Overall:  Another amusing episode.

• Season One, Episode Three:  "Radio Free Sealab"

Characters We Meet:  There are orphans living in Sealab, for some reason. One of them is called "Dolphin Boy", who is vaguely reminiscent of the little fat kid from the old Moby Dick cartoons. We also meet Ted from Accounting, who I don't remember whether he becomes a regular or not.

Story:  Murphy is bored because none of the others will play with him, so he uses Sealab's emergency radio beacon to start his own pirate radio station as DJ "Howlin' Mad" Murphy. This incurs the wrath of the FCC, who, having adopted a new, more aggressive policy, blow up Sealab.

Overall:  Another amusing episode.  Murphy's DJ "patter" pretty much encapsulates everythingnI loathe about  "Morning Zoo" type disk jockeys.

• Season One, Episode Four:  "Chickmate"

Characters We Meet:  "Black Debbie", an African-American woman who teaches the orphans.  She is someting of a stereotypical "sassy Black woman".

Character Info:  White Debbie is a marine biologist.  Stormy's full name is "Stormy Waters". Dolphin Boy chitters like a dolphin instead of speaking. Quinn has PhD's in four subjects.

Story: White Debbie's biological alarm clock goes off, and she decides that she must have a baby.  She screens the male characters and soon decides that none of them are suitable potential fathers.  Stormy attemtps to justify why he calls teacher Debbie  "Black Debbie", but doesn't call marine biologist Debbie "White Debbie" just make him sound racist. (It never seems to occur to any of them to call the Debbies by their last names.)  In a shocking turn of events, Sealab does NOT blow up at the end.

Overall:  Another amusing episode. The scene where the men all bicker about which of them should be the father of White Debbie's baby made me laugh out loud.

• It's also the first appearance of Murphy's running gag about his (fake) mustache.

The Baron said:

Season One, Episode Four:  "Chickmate"

Characters We Meet:  "Black Debbie", an African-American woman who teaches the orphans.  She is someting of a stereotypical "sassy Black woman".

Character Info:  White Debbie is a marine biologist.  Stormy's full name is "Stormy Waters". Dolphin Boy chitters like a dolphin instead of speaking. Quinn has PhD's in four subjects.

Story: White Debbie's biological alarm clock goes off, and she decides that she must have a baby.  She screens the male characters and soon decides that none of them are suitable potential fathers.  Stormy attemtps to justify why he calls teacher Debbie  "Black Debbie", but doesn't call marine biologist Debbie "White Debbie" just make him sound racist. (It never seems to occur to any of them to call the Debbies by their last names.)  In a shocking turn of events, Sealab does NOT blow up at the end.

Overall:  Another amusing episode. The scene where the men all bicker about which of them should be the father of White Debbie's baby made me laugh out loud.

• I'd forgotten that that became a running gag,

Philip Portelli said:

It's also the first appearance of Murphy's running gag about his (fake) mustache.

The Baron said:

Season One, Episode Four:  "Chickmate"

• Season One, Episode Five "Out of Time" 

Story: Murphy has Quinn and Stormy pirate cable so he can watch his favorite show, Chopper Dave, prompting the cable company to blow up Sealab.  The explosion opens a time fracture, sending Quinn and Stormy back in time beforwe the explosion and causing them to meet several duplicates of themselves.  Eventually, the Quinns save the day.  Over the closing credits, Murphy has the excess Quinns and Stormys fight to the death in the arena.

Overall:  Another fun episode.  I'm always up for a good time loop.

This reply was deleted.