Replies

• plangent
  • Thank you, Baron. I'm honored that you would dedicate such a well thought-out and lengthy post to me.
  • Damn. Now I gotta go look up "plangent", in case it's a fancy word for "dumbass". ;)
  • To elaborate: The art was OK, although I remember particularly thinking that the guy had drawn Power Girl's face a little off. (Yes, I do look at Power Girl's face. Eventually.)

I wasn't so wild about the story. I particularly thought it was a bad "first issue". It was OK for me who've been reading the Society's book since the year dot, but I have to imagine someone picking up the book for the first time would've had to wonder what was going on. I did like the little "bonding" moment between Power Girl and Stargirl, though.

When I first heard about this book, I thought, "Lame. This book will last a year, tops, or however long it takes for DC to realize it's not going to sell, and then the interesting characters will be folded back into the main book, and the rest will end up in crowd scenes in 'event' books. If we're really lucky, Magog will get run over by a London bus, and never be seen again."

So far, at least, I haven't seen anything much to change that opinion. Will I be back for issue #2? Depends on how bored I am the week it comes out - but it's definitely not a must-read book for me.
  • plan·gent (plān'jənt)
    adj.
    1. Loud and resounding: plangent bells.

2. Expressing or suggesting sadness; plaintive: "From a doorway came the plangent sounds of a guitar" (Malcolm Lowry).

Interesting. Thank you for making me learn a new word, Figs!
  • I was just teasing, Baron. But thanks for the elaboration.
  • Is there anyone, anywhere, who likes Magog? I mean, besides DC writers, who keep shoving him at us.
  • Based on the sales figures of his series, I'd say "Not many."
  • Chris Fluit said:
    I was just teasing, Baron. But thanks for the elaboration.

Well, I was being silly. I do that, you know.
  • Captain Comics said:
    Is there anyone, anywhere, who likes Magog? I mean, besides DC writers, who keep shoving him at us.

Magog was fine in Kingdom Come as a riff on the kind of characters that just don't fit into the traditional DC Universe.

The problem was when they decided to try to bring him into the traditional DC Universe.
This reply was deleted.