Having seen my good friend Jeff's latest TV-based discussion, Jeff Watches Torchwood, I thought, "Since Jeff is posting about a current program that he's watching for the first time, I ought to post about an old program that I'd be watching for what would be at least the fiftieth, but which I haven't looked at in quite some time - and what better program to watch than one of the seminal comedies of its generation, one which had a profound impact on American television, and which went on to inspire such varied fare as Dusty's Trail, Far Out Space Nuts, and Lost.

Gilligan's Island is one of the first television programs I ever remember watching - Having been born in 1963, I was a touch too young to watch it in first-run, but I must've caught it in its earliest re-runs - I'm pretty sure that "Happy Birthday to You" and "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle" are among the first songs that I knew all the words to.

I debated putting a spoiler warning on this thread - it's hard for me to conceive that there's anyone out there who hasn't seen Gilligan's Island - certainly not in the U.S. Anyway, if by some chance you haven't seen the show, but might want to watch it someday - be forewarned! There will be discussions of plot points, here.

As for the rest of you, "Just sit right back..."

Views: 4497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You really should check out Extras sometime.
The Baron said:
Can't get that link to work, for some reason.

Sorry about that, Chief. Try here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015967.html?categoryid=1236&am...

And this one, from Access Hollywood: http://www.accesshollywood.com/_article_29671

I don't have a complete cast list in mind -- I've seen suggestions of Michael Cera for Gilligan and Beyoncé for Ginger -- but Christine Baranski could do Mrs. Howell without even trying hard.
I remember seeing a comic strip a few years called something like "Gilligan's Island Today", and it then sitting on the island right after the shipwreck using their cellphones to call the Coast Guard.
I've got that book, too! It's great!
I may have mentioned this before, but a few epsiodes into the third season, they started having pre-credits sequences, for whatever reason.
And Then There Were None:

In which all of the casataways except Gilligan fall into an old Japanese munitions pit.

Gillgan dreams that he is the noble Dr. Gilligan, who turns into the evil Mr. Hyde when food is mentioned.

In the dream, the Skipper is a bailiff, Mary-Ann is a cockney flower girl, Mrs. Howell is defense consel Mary Poppins, Mr. Howell is Judge Lord Antony Armstrong Hanging, The Professor is the prosecutor (and also the judge's nephew), and Ginger is the mysterious Lady in Red.

Back Story: Gilligan was born in a small town in Pennsylvania.

Taking it Seriously: Nothing too outrageous in this, I suppose.

Gilligan Spoils A Rescue: No. In fact, Gilligan manages to inadvertently rescue the others.
All About Eva:

A woman named Eva Grubb comes to the island to get away from civilization, but changes her mind when a makeover turns her into a duplicate of Ginger.

Interesting - no "pre-credits" sequence on this episode - must've been just an occasional thing.

Nice quote from Mrs. Howell "Anyone who says money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

Odd little episode, as the castaways' good-heartedness and trust costs them a chance to get off the island, and the "baddy" effectively comes out on top.

Back Story: Mrs. Howeel claims not to be able to speak French, despite having claimed fluency in the language back in "You've Been Disconnected".

Taking It Seriously: For the second time, a double of one of the castaways randomly lands on the island. (I'm not counting Gilligan's "twin" as "random".) This seems to me to stretch credibility more than a bit.
As far as Eva goes, I don't think she'll find it as easy as she thinks to take over Ginger's life. I don't generally think it that easy to step into someone's shoes, no matter how much you may look like them.

Gilligan Spoils A Rescue: No.
The Baron said:
All About Eva:

A woman named Eva Grubb comes to the island to get away from civilization, but changes her mind when a makeover turns her into a duplicate of Ginger.

Interesting - no "pre-credits" sequence on this episode - must've been just an occasional thing.

Nice quote from Mrs. Howell "Anyone who says money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

Odd little episode, as the castaways' good-heartedness and trust costs them a chance to get off the island, and the "baddy" effectively comes out on top.

Back Story: Mrs. Howeel claims not to be able to speak French, despite having claimed fluency in the language back in "You've Been Disconnected".

Taking It Seriously: For the second time, a double of one of the castaways randomly lands on the island. (I'm not counting Gilligan's "twin" as "random".) This seems to me to stretch credibility more than a bit.
As far as Eva goes, I don't think she'll find it as easy as she thinks to take over Ginger's life. I don't generally think it that easy to step into someone's shoes, no matter how much you may look like them.

I meant to note that Tina Louise got a special second credit on this episode for playing Eva Grubb. If she wasn't getting on with Schwartz, he obviously still was giving her a chance to strut her stuff, here.
Gilligan Goes Gung Ho:

The castaways appoint the Skipper as sheriff and Gilligan as his deputy.

Back Story: Ginger was once in a play with a murder in it. She was also in several prison movies, including the musical Sing a Song of Sing Sing and San Quentin Blues.
Mr. Howell claims to be a judo master, and to have a black belt in karate, having studied it in Japan.
The castaways have a book called The Criminal Law.

Taking It Seriously: I'm pretty sure they've already addressed the "who has authority on the island" question.

Gilligan Spoils A Rescue: Yes, as he has all of the castaways locked up just as a USAF search plane is in the area.
Take a Dare:

Radio contestant George Bareley (Played by Strother Martin) lands on the island.

Barkeley is shown to think that the Howells are phonies - of course, the writer had to address the question of why the Howells wouldn't just offer him more money than he was going to win.

Barkely gets his comeuppance in the end, as his prize money was in the transmitter he destroyed on the island.

Back Story: Take a Dare is Gilligan's favorite radio show.
George Barkley must spend one week alone on the island, without help, or he forfeits his $10,000 prize.

Taking It Seriously: One would think that before they dropped Barkley off on the island, the producers of Take a Dare would've scouted it out, to make sure there was no one there.

Gilligan Spoils A Rescue: Yes, as he fails to report the helicopter that picked Barkley up, as he was told to watch for a plane.
Court-Martial:

A maritime board of inquiry finds the Skipper solely responsible for the wreck of the Minnow, but later reverses its decision when it is discovered that on the day of the Minnow's last voyage, the radio operator issued the weather information for the previous day, and so the Skipper is exonerated.

Gilligan has a dream in which he is Lord Admiral Gilligan, Mrs. Howell is the Queen Mother, Ginger and Mary-Ann her daughters, and the Professor, Mr. Howell and the Skipper are the pirates Captain Kidd, Captain Hook and Long John Silver.

You know, both the Skipper and Gilligan think about hanging themselves in this episode - really, this show had more instances of people contemplating suicide than I remember it having.

Back Story: When the castaways re-enact the shipwreck, they realize that one cause of the wreck was that Gilligan threw the anchor overboard without a line attached to it.

Taking It Seriously: To re-enact the shipwreck the castaways build a mock boat, a fan and a lightning generator - they can build all this, but they never manage to build a raft that can get them off the island?

The Baron said:
Court-Martial:

Didn't they do this before?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service