Having seen my good friend Jeff's latest TV-based discussion, Jeff Watches Torchwood, I thought, "Since Jeff is posting about a current program that he's watching for the first time, I ought to post about an old program that I'd be watching for what would be at least the fiftieth, but which I haven't looked at in quite some time - and what better program to watch than one of the seminal comedies of its generation, one which had a profound impact on American television, and which went on to inspire such varied fare as Dusty's Trail, Far Out Space Nuts, and Lost.

Gilligan's Island is one of the first television programs I ever remember watching - Having been born in 1963, I was a touch too young to watch it in first-run, but I must've caught it in its earliest re-runs - I'm pretty sure that "Happy Birthday to You" and "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle" are among the first songs that I knew all the words to.

I debated putting a spoiler warning on this thread - it's hard for me to conceive that there's anyone out there who hasn't seen Gilligan's Island - certainly not in the U.S. Anyway, if by some chance you haven't seen the show, but might want to watch it someday - be forewarned! There will be discussions of plot points, here.

As for the rest of you, "Just sit right back..."

Views: 3501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Herman -  ?

Lily: Joan Bennett

Grandpa: Thayer David

Marilyn:  Nancy Barrett

Eddie:  David Henesy

Herman - Robert Rodan (Too on the nose?)

I tried this with Star Trek:

The Skipper-William Shatner

Gilligan-Walter Koenig

The Professor-Leonard Nimoy

Mr. Howell-DeForest Kelly (which I love for some reason)

Mrs. Howell-Majel Barrett

Ginger-Nichelle Nichols

MaryAnn-Yvonne Craig (hey, she guest-starred)

Of course, that leaves James Doohan and George Takei out but it's not like no one else ever visited the island!

Vice Versa:

Capt. Kirk- Russell Johnson (again I love this idea!)

Mr. Spock-Bob Denver (I think that he would love a dramatic role)

Dr. McCoy-Jim Bacchus

Scotty-Alan Hale, Jr.

Uhura-Tina Louise

Yeoman Rand-Dawn Wells

Nurse Chapel-Natalie Schafer

Sulu-George Takei (can't think of a good replacement)

Chekov-Kurt Russell (did think of a good replacement)

For the Munsters/Dark Shadows, I agree with both Bob and Darrin's choices. (Robert Rodan played Adam, the Frankenstein's monster pastiche, on Dark Shadows.)

I did Star Trek/Gilligan's Island and Gilligan's Island/Star Trek yesterday to post as a follow-up today, but came up with slightly different results.

On the Gilligan's Island side, I cast Grace Lee Whitney as Mary Ann.

On the Star Trek side, I cast Alan Hale as Captain Kirk, Russell Johnson as Dr. McCoy and Jim Backus as Sulu. (No Scotty on my list. Although Alan Hale would make a good one, I prefer him as "Skipper" of the Enterprise.)

For The Munsters/Gilligan's Island, I’d got with…

Herman – Alan Hale
Lily – Tina Louise
Grandpa – Jim Backus
Marilyn – Dawn Wells
Eddie – Bob Denver

Alternately, for The Munsters/Lost in Space

Herman – Dawson Palmer (LIS stuntman who played most of the monsters)
Lily – June Lockhart
Grandpa – Jonathan Harris
Marilyn – Marta Kristin
Eddie – Billy Mumy

resurrected photo res.gif

Some sad news about Dawn Wells. From The Huffington Post: "Dawn Wells of ‘Gilligan’s Island’ Says She’s Broke and Asks For Help"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service