What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“The Corbomite Maneuver” would have made a great first episode (following two pilots), and that’s the way NBC was going to run them until (as I understand it), some executive got cold feet and decided to go with “The Man Trap” (because it had a more “traditional” BEM) instead. The thing most often cited that fans find disturbing about this episode is, they “seek out new life and new civilizations,” find the last surviving member of a sentient species… and kill it.

When James Blish adapted “The Man Trap” into paperback, he opted to change the title to “The Unreal McCoy.” (I didn’t get that until some years later.) One of the stories in the Star Trek newspaper collection I bought yeaterday features McCoy’s ex-wife and it titled “The Real McCoy.”

It has been awhile since I watched "Charie X", and this may have been mentioned before, but Charlie could have/should have been used as a template for the prequel version of Anakin Skywalker. I always found Robert Walkers portrayal of an immature, sociopathic youth with incredible power to be chilling. You feel sorry for him and fear him at the same time - too bad that was never really achieved with Anakin S.

One of the problems with running stories out of sequence is not just seeing character development out of sequence, but also seeing similar stories out of sequence.  Prime example right here:  "CHARLIE X" and "WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" basically have the same plot, but seeing "CHARLIE X" first undercuts it.

Similarly, "COURT MARTIAL" was run shortly after "THE MENAGERIE", even though "COURT MARTIAL" was made first.

The following season, LOST IN SPACE's "The Haunted Lighthouse" acted as a LIS variation of "CHARLIE X".... only, a lot goofier, and, with a happy ending.

I'm going to pipe up a moment here and recommend Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast. Although he isn't one of the regulars on the podcast, it's "executive produced" (my words) by Gene's son, Rod. The episodes examine each episode of the series in broadcast order starting with "The Cage." The most recent podcast covered "Arena."

Here is the Facebook page for the show and it can be downloaded in iTunes for free.

In a film, the "producer" credit means that whoever is credited did all or most of the production work. The "executive producer" credit can be awarded to almost anyone.  It's sometimes as a form of flattery to a major star of the movie, to an original writer of an adapted work, or to an executive in the studio who pushed the project. It's pretty hard to tell how much or how little the person had to do with the project.

Cavaliere (moderator) said:

I'm going to pipe up a moment here and recommend Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast. Although he isn't one of the regulars on the podcast, it's "executive produced" (my words) by Gene's son, Rod. The episodes examine each episode of the series in broadcast order starting with "The Cage." The most recent podcast covered "Arena."

Here is the Facebook page for the show and it can be downloaded in iTunes for free.

I found this useful table on Wikipedia, showing the production order.

When I was a kid, my friend Bob liked “The Changling,” Todd liked “Charlie X” and I like the animated episode “Beyond the Farthest Star.” Whenever we talked about Star Trek, we would invariably end up chanting the tag lines from our respective favorites.

“I-AM-NOMAD. I-AM-PERFECT.”

“OBEY ME! OBEY ME!”

“I WANNA STAY… Stay… stay…”

Chess was used as a metaphor for Kirk’s unorthodox command style. He could beat Spock because Kirk played by instinct and used his gut. They were shown playing as early as “Where No Man Has Gone Before” (during which Spock also refers to the Captain as “Jim”). As noted, Spock did allow himself to smiling on ocaision. Just because one dedicates one’s life to logic doesn’t mean one can’t crack a smile one in a while! Other actors who played Vulcans in later years would do well to assay Leonard Nimoy’s performance. Tim Russ in particular played Tuvok as if he were eternally constipated.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

He could beat Spock because Kirk played by instinct and used his gut.

I play chess against my computer. It beats me more often than I beat it. That's not a good approach.

Where No Man Has Gone Before:

Written by Samuel A. Peeples

Directed by James Goldstone

Synopsis: Two crew members gain super-powers as a result of exposure to unknown energy.

Thoughts:

1)The updated SFX really show up in this one, the starfields look much more impressive now.

2)This is the second pilot - it must have been confusing to people that had been watching it all along to suddenly see different uniforms and different crewmen,

3)Spock says "One of my ancestors married a human female".  I suspect they hadn't quite worked out his backstory here.

4)Paul Carr does OK as Kelso.

5)We first see Scotty here  - we see him taking a turn at the helm, which I don't think we ever see him do again.

6)Gary Lockwood does OK as Mitchell - he does have some occasional odd line reads. "You fools! Soon I'll squash you like insects!" sounds particularly stilted. Overall, he does a good job as somebody slowly going over the edge.

7)Sulu's here, too - only in "astral sciences" instead of at the helm.

8)Paul Fix doesn't really get a chance to do much as Doctor Piper.

9)The big guest actress in this Sally Kellerman, the "walking freezer unit". She does OK with the character as it is written.

10)Ah, "ESP". I seem to recall ESP being a big thing on TV in those days.

11)Lieutenant Kirk taught at the academy.

12)"If I hadn't aimed that little blonde lab technician at you..." "I almost married her!"  There's a fan theory that the "blonde" here was Carol Marcus. Possible, I suppose.

13)The "dispensary" is called "sickbay" here.

14)It's funny hearing them constantly talk about "tapes".

15)Kirk's known Mitchell for 15 years, and yet Mitchell gives Kirk's name as "James R. Kirk".

16)First fight scene where Kirk gets his short torn. You'd think that by the future they'd be able to make sturdier clothing.

17)"I felt for him, too."

Overall:

Another pretty good episode, I always enjoy watching this.

Just because one dedicates one’s life to logic doesn’t mean one can’t crack a smile one in a while!

I always figured that a Vulcan could reason it this way:

1)"I work with humans."

2)"Humans are uncomfortable around people that never show any emotion at all."

3)"Therefore, it is logical to show a certain amount of emotion while I am working with humans."

Man, you creeped me out with that last line from Charlie X, Jeff...

I still remember so vividly the haunting echo from him pleading not to go back.

Even as a kid, when it first aired, I could tell it was a mechanical effect, but it has such a chilling effect on the viewer.

Doesn't Rand sink her head against Kirk's shoulder and turn away when it happens?   Powerful drama!

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is one my all time favorite Trek episodes. The earliest episodes are often the most entertaining because the actors and writers are still working things out. As the show progressed everyone became more comfortable with the characters and situations and many episodes simply followed the set formula of relationships and plot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service