What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

Mudd's Women:

1)I notice Uhura's wearing gold in this, for some reason.

According to the Wikipedia Production Order table that I posted here (see page 2 of this thread), "Mudd's Women" was the third James Kirk episode, following "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "The Corbomite Maneuver".

In "Where No Man......", Kirk and Spock wear golden turtleneck shirts for Command, Sulu, the doctor, and Sally Kellerman's character wear blue for Science, Scottie and Gary Lockwood's character wear tan. It seems that the staff that later would wear red at this point wear tan. Uhura does not appear. Incidentally, the name “James R. Kirk” appears on the tombstone Lockwood’s character creates.

In "The Corbomite Maneuver", Spock and McCoy (first produced appearance) are wearing blue. Sulu is now at the helm and is wearing gold. Uhura (first produced appearance) is wearing gold and a headset. Didn't see anyone wearing a headset in "Where No Man....". Scottie is now wearing red, as are the others who previously wore tan. Yeoman Rand, first appearance, is wearing red, which I believe she continued to do.

In "Mudd's Women", the uniform colors are maintained the same. Rand does not appear.

In “The Man Trap”, the next produced episode, Uhura is now wearing red.

In "The Enemy Within", the next produced Kirk episode, we see Kirk wearing both the golden shirt and a differently cut green shirt. Partly this was probably to help the viewer distinguish between Kirk's two separate (Jekyll/Hyde) entities, although the heavy eye shadow on the Hyde version is hard to miss. This green shirt appears occasionally in later episodes. Everyone else's uniforms are the same. Rand appears but Uhura doesn't.

Maybe Gary Mitchell intentionally misspelled James T. Kirk's middle initial to try to rankle him...as in "Hisotry will not remember you correctly..."

PS: Have you heard the rumor that Benedict Cumberbatch is going to reprise the role of Gary Mitchell in the new Star Trek film: Rise of Darkness?

I've heard Khan. I've heard Gary Mitchell. The latest I've heard is "John Harrison."

"I'll be happy to testify at your trial as a character witness... if you think it'll help."

"They''ll throw away the key!"

Apart from STAR TREK, the other most memorable character I ever saw Roger C. Carmel play was also in a Desilu show... THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW.  Awhile back, I read online of the circumstances behind his leaving the show (which was FUNNY AS HELL!!!!) after one season, which in turn led to its cancellation, and his being blacklisted in Hollywood for the next several years afterwards.  The show really lost its balance, and a good deal of its humor, when Carmel was replaced by Richard Deacon.

What Are Little Girls Made Of?:

Written by Robert Bloch (author of Psycho and a number of Golden Age Flash stories)

Directed by James Goldstone

Synopsis: Nurse Chapel's boyfriend is a toaster.

Thoughts:

1)I agree with whoever it was (Henry?) that said that this would have been better as Chapel's introductory episode.  Also, with the episode positioned this way, her drunken mooning over Spock a few episodes ago makes her look awfully fickle.

2)Chapel gave up a career in bio-research to sign aboard a starship.

3)Always good to see Ted "Lurch" Cassidy. Gosh, he was a big boy, wasn't he?  And a pretty good actor, too.

4)Kirk has a brother, George Samuel Krik. "Only you call him 'Sam'." Sam has a wife and three sons.

Overall:

An OK episode, if not a particular favorite of mine.

Bloch wrote comics? I didn't know that!

Kirk has a brother, George Samuel Kirk

But not for long ...

Luke Blanchard said:

Bloch wrote comics? I didn't know that!

There's one in the Greatest Flash Stories Ever Told collection.

I thought Henry meant the show was funny.

The Baron:

"I agree with whoever it was (Henry?) that said that this would have been better as Chapel's introductory episode.  Also, with the episode positioned this way, her drunken mooning over Spock a few episodes ago makes her look awfully fickle."

Yep. To me, it would have made more sense if she suddenly found herself falling in love with Spock, AFTER learning that her fiance was actually dead.

"Always good to see Ted "Lurch" Cassidy. Gosh, he was a big boy, wasn't he?"

"Yess-- the OLD ones-- the ones who MADE us!"  He was scary in this.  Ted Cassidy, like Malachi Throne, guested on both LOST IN SPACE and STAR TREK (in the same TV season, as it happens).  In fact, they were in the SAME episode of LIS together, one of my favorites of the overly-goony 2nd season.

You forgot to mention Sherry Jackson (HUBBA HUBBA) who was a regular on MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY, and later showed up in the feature film GUNN!

"Nurse Chapel's boyfriend is a toaster."

Now here's an interesting point (at least for me).  Some of the early, Roddenberry-produced episodes-- the ones that feel like you're watching THE OUTER LIMITS in color-- seem open to interpretation, the way they're written & played out.  All thru this entire story, "Roger Corby" keeps telling Kirk & Christine that his mind had been transferred into an android body, so he could live on.  He kept insisting that he was still really him.  But WAS he?  Or was he just a bad copy of the real thing?  I must have seen this story 15-20 times over the years, but the most recent time (about a year ago), it FINALLY sunk in at the end, that Roger Corby WAS dead, had been dead for many years, and that "Roger Corby was never here."  Kirk wasn't just being poetic, or ironic, or whatever.  He WAS stating fact.  The technology to reproduce what people looked like, and sounded like, and their memories, may have existed... but not to truly transfer someone's SOUL.  At least, not with these androids.  There was no real understanding of right and wrong, good and evil, love and hate, no real morality.  No real feeling.

The following season, LOST IN SPACE did their own variation on this plot with "Space Destructors".  Both "android machines" used material that, at the start, looked like bread dough!

Power Book Pete:

"I thought Henry meant the show was funny."

Of course.

When THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW started, each of the regulars had it in their contract that, IF the show was renewed for a 2nd season, they were guaranteed a pay rise.  However, during the 1st season, Desilu was SOLD to Paramount (and we all know what havoc that played with STAR TREK's budget).  THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW just barely got renewed-- it was a success, but not a huge one.  Everyone on the show agreed to put off a pay raise, in order to keep going until they had enough episodes for a successful syndication package.  Carmel INSISTED on a pay raise, or he'd walk.  They BEGGED him not to.  He stuck to his guns.  He WALKED.  He was REPLACED.  The show SANK in the ratings with Richard Deacon in the cast.  Carmel got BLACKLISTED for the next 5 years.  I really like the guy... but in this instance, his behavior was beyond stupid.

OH, DUH....I misread the sentence that it was his leaving that was funny as hell (instead of that phrase describing the show).

Sorry guys.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

I thought Henry meant the show was funny.

I'm not sure when this S*** started, but the incident of Paramount (which I believe by then may already have been bought out by a corporation, "Gulf & Western", or as Mel Brooks put it, "Engulf & Devour") buying Desilu (a FAMILY-OWNED enterprise!!!) is an example of all that's WRONG with America since the 1960's.  I cannot EVER imagine selling a business I'd built with my own effort to anyone else. Better to hire someone else to run it FOR me, but still OWN it and maintain final control.

STAR TREK more-or-less went to HELL because of the sale.  Across the lot, Bruce Geller, returning from the same meeting Gene Roddenbery did, defied the new owners and told all his department head, "This year-- SPEND MORE!!!"  They did.  The network was thrilled.  The viewers were thrilled.  The sponsors (who'd paid in advance) were thrilled. Paramount was horrified.  The results were, for the next year, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE was the best-looking thing on TV, got great ratings, and, insanely, Barbara Bain somehow WON the Emmy for Best Actress in a Dramatic Series for the 3rd year in a row.  (To me, that's just WRONG!!!)  Paramount, desperate top cut costs, noticed that marttin Landau had not signed the same contract as the others-- and FIRED him off their highly-rated successful show.  At the Emmy Awards show, while accepting the award, Bain dropped the bomb that she was QUITTING the show in support of her husband.  UP YOURS, Paramount!!!  Leonard Nimoy replaced Landau, and a rotating assortment of women replaced Bain, none of them as memorable (until Jane Badler came along in the revival series 2 decades later).  After 2 years, they finally managed to have Bruce Geller BANNED permanently from the Paramount lot.

All that money they didn't give their TV series went instead into EVEN BIGGER BOMBS than they'd made the year before, and which lost even more money.  Great corporate thinking.

And like I said, THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW went to hell as a result of the buy-out.

Lucille Ball's 2nd husband, who suggested she sell the studio, has a LOT to answer for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service