What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Galileo Seven:

Teleplay by Oliver Crawford and S. Bar-David/Story by Oliver Crawford

Directed by Robert Gist

Synopsis: A survey party led by Spock tries to survive when their shuttle crashlands on a hostile planet.

Thoughts:

1)Galactic High Commissioner Ferris does a good job of being an irritating bureaucrat. Though, to be fair, he knd of has a point. Couldn't Kirk have delivered the drugs and then gone back and looked at the quasar? One gets the feleing that Kirk insisted on stopping to investigate the thing just because it annoyed Ferris.

2)"Finding a needle in a haystack would be child's play."

3)Interesting to see Spock get a little bit snippy when he's questioned.

4)Probably just as well that he never get a good look at the space apes. From what I can see of them, they look like Lost in Spac rejects.

5)Spock's perplexity is well-plaued, though one does wonder how he's served for over thirteen years and made it to second-in-command of a starship without understanding human nature better.

6)"I may have been mistaken." "Well, at least I lived long enough to hear that."

7)This is another episode where the improved SFX really are noticeable. In fact, they're almost too good, they tend to "show up" the "unimproved" parts.

8)"You mean you reasoned that it was time for an emotional outbust?"

9)"Mister Spock, you're a stubborn man." "Yes, sir."

Overall:

Another pretty good episode, with alot of tension in the situation and between the characters.  Boma would've made a nice character to bring back, if they'd done more of that sort of thing.

It has been quite awhile since I have seen Galileo Seven (just cannot keep up with your re-watching pace Baron) but based on your point #5 I never liked this episode. I just could not buy that Spock was unable to function in that situation and had to be called out by the crewmen of the shuttle.

To my mind, it's sloppy writing and/or editing, on a par with "characters who go back into the haunted house" in slasher films.  The writer wants to set up a situation or make a point, and ignores character and story logic to do so.  If the character was a rookie or an "exchange student" (like Jolene Blalock's character in Enterprise, for example), it would've been more acceptable. Even if growing up with a human mother didn't teach him more about human nature than he seemed to know here, by the end of his first year at the Academy he should've known to allow for the fact that non-Vulcans behave illogically. 

(just cannot keep up with your re-watching pace Baron)

I don't think one episode a night is that exhausting of a pace. I've actually been restraining myself from watching more than one episode a day, because I think my write-ups (not necessarily literary brilliance to begin with) suffer if I try to do too many at once. Of course, it helps that I don't have alot going on at the moment, personally.   We'll see how well I hold to it by the time I get to the third season.

Ah yes the third season - that which tries the soul of Star Trek fans. That will be the true test of your mettle.

No worries regarding your re-watch schedule. There are some episodes, like Galileo Seven that I don't care for and have no desire to revisit, especially since I have seen every episode multiple times. By the same token, there are episodes I truly enjoy and will try to watch again as you get to them.

I'm building my "TV-watching muscles" up to doing "The Baron Watches Galactica 1980". I'm not sure that even I can manage that one!

Never liked this story, either.  People trapped in an extremely hostile environment, getting killed off one by one, just barely getting out alive, and the main character is made to look bad.  Just thoroughly unpleasant.

The 4th season was a definite improvement on the 3rd, in the writing department.   : )

I try never to even mention the name of that show you mentioned.  To me, it... "NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!"

I tend to see "The Menagerie, Part 2" (its last 5 minutes, specifically) as the point where the show switched from being like THE OUTER LIMITS and became more "viewer-friendly".  It's also when the friendship between Kirk & Spock finally began to lighten up.

I believe right after, the next episode filmed was "Shore Leave".  But it took a few weeks between for broadcast.

Checking the IMDB and comparing it to my memories, here's the 1st season episodes I actually saw FIRST-RUN!  (Line breaks indicate missed episodes.)

THE NAKED TIME

THE MENAGERIE, PART 1

THE MENAGERIE, PART 2

BALANCE OF TERROR

SHORE LEAVE

THE SQUIRE OF GOTHOS

ARENA

TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY

THE RETURN OF THE ARCHONS

A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON

THIS SIDE OF PARADISE

THE DEVIL IN THE DARK

ERRAND OF MERCY

(THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER) -- I was out that night, we stopped by my Mom's best friend's house, and I caught the last 10 minutes of this.

As you can see, it was tough going for me trying to see this show regularly.  This was still better than my track-record with THE OUTER LIMITS.  By comparison, when the 2nd season came along, and it switched from Thursdays at 8:30 to Fridays at 8:30, I managed to see EVERY SINGLE episode!!!

It wasn't until late 1970 (a year after it left the network) that I managed to see EVERY episode I'd missed... but totally out of sequence (at first).

I'm not sure that's really necessary to watch Star Trek in order... although there is some character development, I didn't feel that it was essential to build the viewership in order...with the exception of Harry Mudd's episodes and the trial of Spock, The Menagerie 1& 2

As a general rule, everything is returned to status quo at the end of each episode. I remember Peter David commenting when he wrote a couple of BABYLON 5 episodes he thought he was supposed to return to status quo, but instead was told he didn't have to do that.

Kirk G said:

I'm not sure that's really necessary to watch Star Trek in order... although there is some character development, I didn't feel that it was essential to build the viewership in order...with the exception of Harry Mudd's episodes and the trial of Spock, The Menagerie 1& 2

The Squire of Gothos:

Written by Paul Schneider

Directed by Don McDougall

Synopsis:  The Enterprise encounters a space-fop.

Thoughts:

1)I believe this is our first sighting of DeSalle, who we'll see again.

2)Kirk now describes his vessel as the "United Star Ship Enterprise".

3)William Campbell does a good job as Trelane. I gather from the extras that he had mostly been known for playing heavies up to this point.

4)"900 hundred years past". Since Trelane references Napoleon and Alexander Hamilton, this would seem to put the date at some time in the 28th Century.

5)"And are its natives predators?" "Not generally, but there have been exceptions."  Spock gets off some good lines in this.

6)"Oh, Mister Spock, you do have one saving grace after all. You're ill-mannered."

7)Kirk refers to "Spacefleet Command" here. I gather they were still working out the nomenclature at this point.

8)"Stop that nonsense at once, or you'll not be permitted to make any more planets."

9)"'Mischievious pranks', Captain?" It's "mischievous", not "mischievious"!

Overall:

An amusing enough episode - yet another of the show's beings of vast power but with some great flaw or other.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service