What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So Flint was Brahmas, Da Vinci, Solomon, Alexander, Lazarus, Methuselah, Merlin and Abramson.

I always found this irritating. It implies that the human race, unaided, can't produce exceptional people.

I read something a while back that said that da Vinci means "of Vinci" and is not understood by Italians as a surname. Forgive me any appearance of pedantry; I'm the guy who only recently learned to spell "Michelangelo".

J.M DeMatteis put his own spin on the “immortal man” trope (Avengers #218). His character would “die,” but continually regenerate as a child, grow old and die. Then he would begin life anew as a child and the cycle would repeat. The twist DeMatteis put on it was that, although this being had lived hundreds of lives, he was never anyone of any historical importance and was desperate to end his existence.

The twist DeMatteis put on it was that, although this being had lived hundreds of lives, he was never anyone of any historical importance and was desperate to end his existence.

I've always thought it was curious that of everyone who recalls past lives nobody shoveled out stables.

The Way to Eden:

Teleplay by Arthur Heinemann/Story by Michael Richards and Arthur Heinemann

Synopsis:  The one with the space hippies.

Thoughts:

1)"We are not in the mood, Herbert!"  Who is?

2)So, now, Chekov has an old girl friend show up. It occurs to me that of the main characters, only Sulu and Uhura never have romantic interests.  Don't non-whites need love, too?

3)"What is your destination?"  "The Planet Eden".  Yeah, OK.

4)"One of those was in the Academy?"  Ah, Kirk, you old establishment type, you.

5)"I'm gonna crack my knuckles and jump for joy, I got a clean bill of health from Doctor McCoy!"  The best stupid line in all of Star Trek, ever.

6)"I thought all the animals were kept in cages."  Chapel gets snippy.

7)"Doctor Sevrin is insane."  "Also, he has way goofier ears than me."

8)"I used to get into a little trouble at that age, Scotty, didn't you?"  At that age, Scotty was out getting drunk and beating the crap out of Celtic supporters.

9)"Headin' out to Eden, yay, brother..."  "Headin' out to Eden, yeah, whatever..."

10)I'd love to know what search criteria Spock used for finding "Eden".  I suppose we're just lucky he didn't find the planet where "God" lived in Star Trek V.

11)One of Adam's fingers moves when he's supposed to be dead. Well, maybe he wasn't dead that long and it was sort of post-mortem twitch.

12)Irina's right, Chekov is a bit of a stiff.

13)Hey, no Uhura in this one.

Overall:

Not quite as atrocious as I'd remembered it being, I'd still say that of the episodes I've seen so far, this one has "aged" the worst since it was first shown.

Four more episodes to go!   We're supposed to get more snow this weekend, so I may polish off the final stories by Sunday.

I remember thinking at the time that this was the first time I'd ever seen evidence in Star Trek that the time period wasn't as perfect as I thought. Earth at this point according to Star Trek had eliminated war, poverty, disease... and they had all the tech stuff that I ever dreamed of... So I couldn't figure out what the hippies were protesting.

Thinking about it, it's an interesting message, that the search for Eden leads them to madness and death.

I agree - watching it now, alot of the "Federation is a perfect society" stuff seems less likely.

THE WAY TO EDEN: Groovy.

I would dearly love it if the songs from this episode were released on CD. Watching this episode inspired me to listen to one of Leonard Nimoy’s albums on the way in to work this morning.

As you alluded to, themes from this episode are picked up in Star Trek V. Incidentally, Gene Roddenberry didn’t consider the entire movie out of continuity, only certain aspects of it. Primarily he objected to Sybok being Spock’s half-brother. That Sarek fathered another child was considered (by Roddenberry) to be apocryphal.

If Sulu had had his way, he and Uhura would have gotten together in “The Naked Time” (in which he referred to her as a “fair maiden” and she replied, “Sorry, niether!”). Uhura was seemingly smitten by the so-called “salt vampire” when it disguised itself as a black crewman in "The Man Trap" (or "The Unreal McCoy" as James Blish would have it). Bob already mentioned Uhura’s reaction to Benjamin Sisko in “Trials and Tribbilations” (in place of Marlena Moreau lifted from the end of “Mirror, Mirror”). I pointed it out to Tracy when we watched “Trials and Tribbilations” recently, and she commented, “Uhura’s probably just astonished to see a black man on the bridge.”

I like Tracy. She's likable.

The Way To Eden was so tied to the Summer of Love/ hippie movement that it was doomed to be dated from the moment it first aired.

"No Uhura in this one" - last night I watched What Are Little Girls Made Of? and Uhura, McCoy, Sulu and Scott are all missing. Strange.

The Baron said:

Thinking about it, it's an interesting message, that the search for Eden leads them to madness and death.

I agree - watching it now, alot of the "Federation is a perfect society" stuff seems less likely.

Some people can be unhappy almost anywhere. For myself Star Trek always seemed to me to be a pretty good place for humanity. Kirk, for all his faults, demonstrated some good qualities. In a couple of episodes he took insults and abuse easily and only one time did he ever really seek vengeance and that was on the Gorn. I never viewed it as perfect, but at least I used to believe that things would get better. Though to be really honest what I wanted out of Star Trek was the transporter. Anything that could reduce the commuting time between me and school -and keep me off of the rather dangerous bus- was something I would like to have had.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service