What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

The Cloud Minders:

Teleplay by Margaret Armen/Story by David Gerrold and Oliver Crawford

Directed by Jud Taylor

Synopsis: In which our heroes uncover class warfare in outer space.

Thoughts:

1)"I have never before met a Vulcan, sir."  "Nor I a work of art."

2)"Captain Kirk and his attractive officer..."

3)"The seven year cycle is inherent in all Vulcans."  Wait a minute, in "Amok TIme", Vulcan sexuality was so private that Spock would only discuss it with his two best friends (one of whom is his personal physician) when he was in the direst of straits, and here he chats about it casually with some hottie he's just met?  Spock's been hanging out with Kirk too long.

4)And one last time, Kirk gets away with messing around with a society largely because he feels like it.

Overall:  Another so-so episode - the regulars all seem slightly off, characterwise, somehow. The plot is vaguely reminiscent of "The Savages".

Kirk got away with a lot, and in this case beating up the president of a planet. Great thing about this show was that we had another love interest for Spock.

The Baron said:

The Savage Curtain:

Teleplay by Gene Roddenberry and Arthur Heinemann/Story by Gene Roddenberry

Directed by Herschel Daugherty

Synopsis: In which rocks seek to learn the difference between good and evil by having historical re-enactors throw sticks at one another.

Thoughts:

1)"I am Abraham Lincoln."  "I'm Abraham Lincoln, and so is my wife!"

2)"Do you still measure time in minutes?" "We can convert to it, sir." What are you talking about? You people use hours and minutes all the time!

3)The "presidential honors" routine was pretty amusing.

4)"A charming Negress." One way of putting it.

5)"We've each learned to be delighted with what we are."

6)"President Lincoln has always been a very personal hero to you."

7)"The greatest of all who ever lived on our planet, Captain. The father of all we became."  So, Surak is the Vulcan George Washington.

8)"In my time, we knew not of Earthmen."  Nor of "pants", apparently.

9)"Our world is called Excalbia."  I always liked the design of the Excalbian.

10)"Colonel Green, who led a genocidal war early in the Twenty-First Century on Earth."  He'd better get on that, it's not gonna be that early in the century much longer.

11)"Kahless, the Unforgettable, the Klingon who set the pattern for his planet's tyrannies."

12)I question what the Excalbians really expect to learn from all this. I suspender that it's all that a gag, their version of Saturday night wrestling.

13)I like Kirk's reaction to being compared to Grant.

14)Interesting that the heels just seem to accept Green as their leader. You'd think with people like that, there'd be more squabbling

15)"I, too, am a Vulcan, bred to peace."

16)"Your Surak is a brave man." "Men of peace usually are, Captain."

17)Perfect mimicry is one of the lesser known skills that a Klingon warrior must master.

Overall:

Another favorite episode of mine, I've always liked this.  There aren't too many shows where'd you get to see Abe Lincol n beating the crap out of Genghis Khan.

The rock guys missed the point big time really. The difference was obvious in that the bad guys were the aggressors. Evil needs victims and good doesn't. Kirk, Spock, Sarek and Lincoln didn't want to fight and tried not too.

"There aren't too many shows where'd you get to see Abe Lincoln beating the crap out of Genghis Khan."

I also like the one where The Devil calls Genghis Khan, Billy The Kid and Blackbeard The Pirate to appear as witnesses in a courtroom trial.  (Oh, wait, that was a different show...)   : )

I thought that's what Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter was all about????!!!!

Henry R. Kujawa said:

"There aren't too many shows where'd you get to see Abe Lincoln beating the crap out of someone...."

I also like the one where The Devil calls Genghis Khan, Billy The Kid and Blackbeard The Pirate to appear as witnesses in a courtroom trial.  (Oh, wait, that was a different show...)   : )

Seems to me that the basic plot behind "The Savage Curtain" was basically the motivation behind the plot to "The Secret Wars" first  maxi-series that marvel published at Shooter's command.

All Our Yesterdays:

Written by Jean Lisette Aoreste

Directed by Marvin Chomsky

Synopsis:  In which our heroes go to the library.

Thoughts:

1)I confess that when I was a kid I didn't pick up on the fact that the librarian's name was "A-to-Z".

2)"Apparently, they've all escaped the destruction of their world by retreating into its past."  I'm not going to get into the temporal implications of that idea.

3)"I am firmly convinced that I do exist." Good for you. Everyone should believe that they exist.

4)Zarabeth is played by the exceptionally hot-looking Mariette Hartley. Hard to blame Spock for wanting to stay with her.

5)"..The worst patient in the entire crew of the Enterprise."

6)"I don't like that. I don't think I ever did. And now I'm sure." Ha-ha, McCoy, you always wanted Spock to show some emotion, how do you like it now?

7)Spock eats meat, and then makes his move!

8)"Are you trying to kill me, Spock?"  Maybe.

Overall:

Another so-so episode. Nimoy gets a few last good moments in, anyhow.

Turnabout Intruder:

Teleplay by Arthur Singer/Story by Gene Roddenberry

Directed by Herb Wallerstein

Synopsis: One of Kirk's exes tries to turn the tables on him.

Thoughts:

1)"Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."

2)"Now you'll know the indignity of being a woman."

3)Hey, Chapel's gone brunette!

4)It's interesting watching Lester discover that a captain can't just do whatever they want.

5)"Up to now, I have never seen him red-faced with hysteria."

6)Ah, the transference magically reversed itself. Isn't that convenient?

Overall:

Not the greatest episode to go out on. Might have bene itneresting to see if, going forward, this experience had caused Kirk to temper his womanizing a bit.

Well, that's the end of the series. I do have all of the movies on disk, but I'm not really in a mood to watch them right now. Someday, probably. All in all, it's been very interesting to go back and re-watch all of these as an adult.

"Well, that's the end of the series."

Not by me. There's 22 more episodes to go, yet!    : )

Zarabeth is played by the exceptionally hot-looking Mariette Hartley. Hard to blame Spock for wanting to stay with her.

Mariette Hartley was always a favorite of mine. She could be the girl next door, a mother with kids, or a hotty just as convincingly.

"Now you'll know the indignity of being a woman."
"Up to now, I have never seen him red-faced with hysteria."

I know a lot of people think this is anti-woman. They miss the point that this particular woman was totally insane.

If memory serves, Mariette Hartley was in PLANET EARTH, the sequel to GENESIS II.  The "2nd pilot" starred John Saxon! One cold almost see the series as taking place in a period of chaos between our current civilization and the one that arose in STAR TREK's time.  Or something.  (Or, think of it as a more intelligent version of PLANET OF THE APES.)

If I recall Mariete Hartley was in the orignal Genesis 2 with Alex Cord, not the second one with John Saxon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service