What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 9007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to remember both of them somehow.  I think the point or plot was that he was put in suspended animation, or deep freeze and then a quake occurred, burying him or collapsing the control room.  And he's not discovered for several hundred years (shades of Woody Allen's Sleeper!)

I recall her leading him on horses past something like the Grand Canyon on a journey to re-introduce him to society...but part of the point is that he's being co-opted by the wrong half of society for their gain. 

The final scene was his return on an express monorail or subway to their rebellion, and as they rescue it from a high speed collision, he says they won't have to worry about the other side or the citadel or something...cause he crosswired their bomb or missiles that they were about to launch.  And his hosts are horrified that he would do something so rash, so bold, so cruel, so 20th century...and make him vow to never do so again.  And he says he'll try, or else they'll put him to death.

Was this the plot to Genesis II, or am I mis-remembering some other made for TV Movie of the Week?

Seems it was highly touted as the Next Big Thing from Gene Roddenberry.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

If I recall Mariete Hartley was in the orignal Genesis 2 with Alex Cord, not the second one with John Saxon.

In the first movie Alex Cord played a scientist who had developed a suspended animation technology for the US. He was in an underground chamber and testing it when an Earthquake burried him. Centuries later he was found by a group of survivors called the Pax who are trying to rebuild the Earth which has been devestated by atomic war. Hartley played a mutant with two hearts (and two belly buttons, something I think Rhodenberry put in to get back at censors who wouldn't let him show 1 in Star Trek) who tricks him into coming with her. Seems the mutants are tyrants who consider themselves above humanity. A team from Pax was sent to get him back and they almost made it. After formenting a rebellion Cord and the team make it to a sub shuttle station (the world was full of them at that point in time, underground faster than sound trains) but stayed behind with Hartley in exchange for them getting back. Part of the deal was restoring a nuclear reactor but he set that to blow up and escaped. The last scene was Cord's character joining Pax.

The second movie was John Saxon in the title role and he had to journey into amazon territory to rescue a scientist. I don't remember too much more about that one. I liked Cord better in the role.

"If memory serves" ...oh well! I could look this up so easy, but sometimes it's fun to see if my brain is screwed on tight or not.

Ted Cassidy was in BOTH films.  Alex Cord & Mariette Hartley were in the first.  John Saxon replaced Cord in the 2nd pilot (playing the SAME character).  The guest-star in the 2nd story was Diana Muldaur!!!

What gets confusing is, neither of these sold, and Roddenberry did a 3rd one, also with John Saxon... but, that was not a sequel, it was a remake of the 1st one.  So some people mistakenly think the 1st was a stand-alone, and the 2nd & 3rd connected, when it's the other way round.  STRANGE NEW WORLD was the 3rd one.

I saw the 2nd one... then, later, saw the 1st.  I heard about the 3rd, but have never seen it!

All these, of course, are variations on BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY, the "rebuilding civilization after the armageddon" thing.  "Post-apocalyptic" futures were very "IN" in the 70's, after that damnable PLANET OF THE APES thing.  (Hey, I was into that at the time... but the novel was 10 times better than ANYTHING ever put on film from it!)

So, tell us Henry, what did you think of the other things Rod Serling made?  LOL!

(Thanks for sharing the background on Genesis 2 for us.)

I'm suddenly picturing what it might have been like if someone could have gotten Gene Roddenberry and Rod Serling on one stage together... and maybe roped in Irwin Allen and Gerry Anderson while they were at it.

Henry R. Kujawa said:

"If memory serves" ...oh well! I could look this up so easy, but sometimes it's fun to see if my brain is screwed on tight or not.

Ted Cassidy was in BOTH films.  Alex Cord & Mariette Hartley were in the first.  John Saxon replaced Cord in the 2nd pilot (playing the SAME character).  The guest-star in the 2nd story was Diana Muldaur!!!

What gets confusing is, neither of these sold, and Roddenberry did a 3rd one, also with John Saxon... but, that was not a sequel, it was a remake of the 1st one.  So some people mistakenly think the 1st was a stand-alone, and the 2nd & 3rd connected, when it's the other way round.  STRANGE NEW WORLD was the 3rd one.

I saw the 2nd one... then, later, saw the 1st.  I heard about the 3rd, but have never seen it!

All these, of course, are variations on BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY, the "rebuilding civilization after the armageddon" thing.  "Post-apocalyptic" futures were very "IN" in the 70's, after that damnable PLANET OF THE APES thing.  (Hey, I was into that at the time... but the novel was 10 times better than ANYTHING ever put on film from it!)

But scene with the Statue of Liberty is still pretty strong.

THE CLOUD MINDERS: This is the other episode (along with “Whom Gods Destroy”) I have seen the least frequently. It is one of my favorites largely for that reason, not necessarily for its own merits.

THE SAVAGE CURTAIN: This, OTOH, is one I’ve seen far too frequently.

ALL OUR YESTERDAYS: I guess when your sun is about to go nova you don’t really care too much about changing history.

TURNABOUT INTRUDER: William Shatner has often numbered episodes such as this (in which he gets to play a different personality) as among his favorites, and I can certainly see him having fun as Janice Lester. (Sandra Smith did a good job, too, of playing Captain Kirk.) The line “Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women” has often been interpreted to mean that Jim Kirk’s dedication to his career doesn’t leave room for a serious, long-term committed relationship (which is also my own interpretation), but Gene Roddenberry admitted in later years that the line was simply sexist.

Wrap-Up: I had been wondering whether or not you’d continue on to the movies. (Tracy and I moved on to Enterprise, starting last night.) I know you had been considering doing a Star Trek discussion for some time prior to when you actually began. I didn’t think I’d be in the mood to watch them along with you, but it turns out I was (once you got caught up to the point I left off a while ago).

Someone somewhere has probably already made such a list, but I’ve always wanted to compile a list of redshirted crewmen Kirk lost during the first three years of his five-year mission. I wish I had thought of it earlier; I would have asked you to do so for me. That, and to keep track of how many women Kirk snogged.

This weekend, I saw Action Lad doing "Rock-Paper-Scissors" with a kid from down the street.

So I pointed out to him that if he wanted a more complicated version, he should play "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock."

To which he said ...

... wait for it ...

"Who's Spock?"

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Clearly, I've been neglecting my parental duties.

Yesterday, we watched "The Trouble with Tribbles."

At least he knew enough to ask WHO is spock....

"But scene with the Statue of Liberty is still pretty strong."

But mostly if you've never seen it before. Unfortunately, my cousin BLEW the ending before I sawe the film.  GRRRR. (It was just like some nitwit on PBS blowing the ending of PSYCHO in a documentary about Hitchcock.)

"whether or not you’d continue on to the movies."

In my case, I continued on to the CARTOONS... and, simultaneously, began watching the 3 live-action seasons AGAIN. I haven't done that sort of thing-- watching a complete run of a show twice, back-to-back-- in decades! At the same time, I also did the same thing with THE MONKEES!!

I was really dragging my feet on the cartoons this time, so much that I finished them off and the 2nd go-round on the 3rd season (which I skipped at least half of the 2nd time) about the same time.

And THEN I plowed ahead straight into BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!   : )  (Oh, look, it's John Colicos!)

Kirk G said:

At least he knew enough to ask WHO is spock....

I'm sure he has no idea who 'Dr. Spock' is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service