The Baron Watches "The Super Robot Red Baron" (SPOILERS)

This is another tokosatsu of which I had never heard, but a collection of which I was sent, and so you all get to enjoy (?) my reactions to it.

We start with:

Episode 01:  "Conspiracy of the Robot Empire"

We meet our hero, Secret Scientific Investigation (hereafter "S.S.I") agent Ken Kurenai (in "real life", he's a car dealer) and his older brother Kenichiro, a roboticist. Their life has bene marked by tragedy - their parents and their kid brother Kenzo (Yes, Ma and Pa Kurenai named their sons "Kenichiro", "Ken" and "Kenzo".) We meet Ken's colleagues on the S.S.I. team, who are guarding an expo of all the world's giant robots.  They are:

• Minoru Daigo, Captain of the team, and sometime owner of an auto repair factory.
  • Sakai Tetsuya, in civilian life he's a car salesman.
  • Daisku Hori, also a newspaper copyboy
  • Mari Matsubara, a news photographer, and the team's sole female.

We also meet Inspector Kumano, a bike cop who wields an unbrella gun, sort of like the Penguin used to. He appears to be the comedy relief character, of the sort so beloved by the makers of these shows and which I have always found profoundly unfunny. However, as with Maxwell Smart, bumbler though he is, he does well in a fight, which i just as well, as it at least gives some clue as to why theothers put up with him.

Anyhow, the Robot Expo is raided by the somewhat awkwardly named Invasion Robot Troy Horse (a somewhat unimpressive robot design) under the direction of Professor Deviler of the Robot Empire of the Iron Alliance. While the S.S.I. battles the Alliance's foot soliders, who seem to exist to get beat up, the heels kidnap Kenichi and steal all the robots. 

Kenichi is brought before the Professor, who implants him with a control collar, and sends him home, where he meets Ken, who singularly does not ask him what happened to him or how he escaped. Kenuchi presents Ken with the robot Red Baron, which he has been building in secret. I have to say that the Red Baron is not my favorite robot design, but it's OK.  Kenichi gives his brother the guided tour of the robot and has him touch the controls, which imprints them on  Ken, so that only he can use them. Troy Horse shows up, and Ken pilots Red Baron in battle against it.  Red Baron exhibits several attacks, such as the Elec-Trigger, a sort of energy attack, and BARON PUNCH! and BARON BARRIER!, which I foresee will furnish me with endless amusement.  Once Ken has won, the Professor reveals that he sent Troy to attack in order to put RB through its paces, then orders Kenichi to hand it over to him. Um, if he rwanted RB for himself, shouldn't he have ordered Kenichi to hand it over before the latter let Ken imprint himself on the thing? Sloppy planning there, Prof!

Thwarted, the Professor sends the robot Big Bison to stand there looking large but otherwise unthreatening, and threatens Kenichi with punishment for his disobedience.

Cliffhanger:  Kenichi's control collar is killing him!

Overall: This comes across as quite fun show, I am hopeful of getting quite a bit of entertainment out of this.

Views: 1758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't you read my post Wednesday? If you want a set, send me your address in a PM.

..Wasn't there a long-ago Hollywood resturaunt called Carlos and Charlie's ?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Two of my father's older brothers were named Charles and Carlos.   

The Lovely and Talented: "You do realize, don't you, that your grandmother named two of her sons Charles?"

Me: "Not until just now, no."

We have started watching these episodes too. I do like the music in this show so much more than the Astro Boy theme. I also like Mari Matsubara, although she has yet to speak. I like her car too. We will be watching enough this weekend to be caught up with Bob by Monday.
Episode 2 had me shouting out "bondage nipples" when Black Masai's huge nipples launch out to tie up Red Baron's arms. It is only watching Jeff's picks that I find myself saying things I would not ever say in my normal life.

Tracy of Moon-T said:

Episode 2 had me shouting out "bondage nipples" when Black Masai's huge nipples launch out to tie up Red Baron's arms. It is only watching Jeff's picks that I find myself saying things I would not ever say in my normal life.

Words fail me.  ;)

TMI! TMI!

Tracy of Moon-T said:

OK

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Didn't you read my post Wednesday? If you want a set, send me your address in a PM.

Your post made me go back and read through Episode 2 to see what the hell I was missing.  I have NO Idea what you're discussing, but your "bondage nipples" exclamation has certainly attracted a wealth of attention!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

TMI! TMI!ng 

Tracy of Moon-T said:

Episode 05: "Smash the Mysterious Rocket Operation!"

We see the Iron Alliance testing Goryu, a robot with an electromagnetic ponytail that is stronger in the rain.  Elsewhere, Ken, Daisaku and Mar are out joyriding. They see mysterious missiles flying overhead. They send Daisaku back to HQ, where Daigo and Tessuya are entertaining Inspector Bicycle, who is chainsmoking like nobody's business. they work out that the rockets are rain-making devices.  Meanwhile, IA thugs have beset Ken and Mari, but the SSI and IB come to the rescue.  You'd think the IA would arrange to have minions who weren't constantly getting the crap beat out of them. 

Later, Goryu attacks the city, and IB alerts the SSI. We get another interminable fight scene between the IA thugs and the SSI.  Ken summons RB, and the two robots fight.  The IA summons unconvincing rain clouds and soon Goryu is whipping RB with his ponytail. The Inspector is struck by lightning, but till manages to take the initiative by firing rockets at Goryu.

This proves ineffective, so he deicides to try prayer, calling upon the heavens thusly:

"Dear Jesus Mohammed Shakyamuni Buddha...Sun Goddess!"

Astonishingly, this works and the rain clouds clear up instantly! RB blows up Goryu and the day is saved!

Cliffhanger: None. Instead, we see poor, bedraggled Inspector Bicycle pushing his bike up a hill, whilst our "heroes" ride behind him, harassing and mocking him! Remember, kids, gratitude is for the weak!  Really, I wouldn't blame him if he went over to the IA.

Overall: Still fun - interesting to see IB basically saving the day, even if no one thanks him for it.

"The green moon is the color of true love."

...whatever the heck that means!

Episode 06: "Red Baron Combat Disabled!"

We get a "story so far" re-cap, and then see Robot Viking III, the best robot design so far. The SSI receives a message that Doctor Ono's house has been blown up and tha threats have been made against other roboticists. The team is sent out to protect the various homes.  Ken is captured and ordered to summon RB.  The IA boss takes Ken's controller away and leaves. TheSSI comes to the rescue, although Inspectro Bicycle take stime out to be mocked by some children.  The rest of the SSI is caught! The IA boss is a little slow to figure out that RB won't obey him. Instead, he summons RV III to destroy RB.  RV III pummels RB, but doesn't do much damage. Meanwhile, the IA thugs lock the SSI up in a room with a time bomb, saying "The is time bomb will take care of you without any effort on our part." Lazy bums!  IB rescues the SSI form the time bomb, which fortunately seems to have been set for forty-five minutes. For an encore, IB beats the IA boss and recovers the control bracelet for RB.  The SSI has another interminable fight scene. Ken summons RB, and defeats RV III with BARON BEAM! The IA boss has a great "I'm so gonna get fired" look on his face, and indeed the Professor is unhappy.

Cliffhanger: Inspector Bicycle gets some gratitude for once!

Overall: Not bad, they finally got a half-decent robot design for once!

Episode 07: "Red Balloons Are The Secret Weapon"

IA is studying the strengths and weaknesses of Blizzard 7 (a robot from Iceland), and decides that the SSI would be able to disrupt B7's control if it fought RB, and so the Professor decides to launch Operation: Red Ballon. We cut to Inspector Bicycle lecturing kids on road safety using an Inspector Bicycle action figure (I want one!).  We learn his full name:  "Ippei Kumano". Red ballons carrying masks and capes come floating down, and despite IB warning "What if these red ballons were sent by the Devil?" they put them on. They are possessed and temporarily turn IB into a pig, a monkey and a duck, which leaves him wth an annoying tendency to quack for the rest of the episode. He and the kids' teacher Miss Ono set off in pursuit. IB call the SSI, who are sitting around the office looking bored. Ken and Daisaku are sent to investigate, but are KO'd by the kids. The rest of the SSI responds, and they meet up with IB. Ken summons RB and IB is sent to recover the kids.  RB arrives at Power Plant #1, and somehow contrives to look shamefaced at arriving too late to save the place, despite not having a face.  RB takes off for Power Plant  #2.  The SSI goes after the control car, only to discover that the chilkdren are inside. Realizing that there must be a controller for the children somewhere around, they seke it out. RB uses BARON KICK!, but B7 repsonds with freezing mist.  Menwhile, IB determines the Miss Ono is the real controller, and guns her down brutally before revealing that she is a toaster, and the real Miss Ono is fine. Surprisingly, B7 still works, as the IA has imoprioved their controller technology.  However, RB conveniently has a new weapon - ARM MISSILE! and B7 is blown up real good.  We end with the SSI attempting to prank the kids by launching more ballons at them, but it doesn't really work and IB ends up getting chased.

Cliffhanger: None, per se, but you can be sure that the IA will continue being up to no good.

Overall: IB saves the day again! What would the SSI do without him?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service