The Defenders (2011)

I didn’t buy the first issue of the new series (which shipped today) but I almost did. I own every other incarnation of the Marvel’s former “non-team” and may eventually buy the trade if I hear good things about it in the meantime. So here’s your chance to tell me what a mistake I’m making and convince me to give it a try.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm getting it (eventually) but a Defenders team with no Hulk? Doesn't seem right.

• It's the non-Defenders Defenders.  Very meta!

Philip Portelli said:

I'm getting it (eventually) but a Defenders team with no Hulk? Doesn't seem right.

• The story has some potential, but hasn't reached it yet.  I won't really have an impression until a couple more issues come out.

I will say that there is a reason for the Hulk's non-involvement, however.  It is addressed in the story.

• On a side-note:  (a mean-sprited one at that) after I looked through the freebie intro comic to this Defenders series, I flipped it over and there was a few pages on the new Cable Vs the Avengers

When I saw it would be written by Jeph Loeb, I actually physically winced while standing in the shop.

• That happens every time I see the word "Cable" in the title of a comic! :-(

• I'm no fan of Cable, to put it mildly.  I think it was the combination of that character and that writer which produced such a physical reaction in me. 

A perfect storm...

• I liked it a great deal, and I found it very reminiscent of 70s-style books.

I LOVED the retro ads at the bottom of the pages.

• The retro ads are a great idea. 

I passed on it, but I do that for most Marvel these days. I really only have the patience to wallow in one continuity at a time these days, even if there's lovely art by the Dodsons involved...

• ...House ads ? Real ads ? Parodies ?

Posts , a few , pleeezz ?

• The single-line blurbs that old Marvel books used to run. Mart posts a scan of a few in his review.

This reply was deleted.