:)

Detective 445 said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

This title is satire?

Have you read any of Chaykin's stuff?

Indeed. Well put, Jeff of J.

Captain Comics said:

Aaaaand Jeff wins the Internet today.

I tried the first issue of this series, and it was alright. The second issue I didn't even get through. It isn't the material, for me that is whatever. It was just a wall of text followed by a wall of text. To me, that is when you need an editor to come in there and do something with it. I swear sometimes these creators forget comics are a visual medium. It reminded me of some of the Marvel comics from the 70s (see Warlock).

So I'll follow Chaykin's advice and not buy the series, but for the execution of the comic, and not for the material.

Some, but I can't really afford comics right now and given the current state of things I don't really want to read this anyway.  If this is a satire in the mode of Bomb Queen then I don't think it's being received well.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

This title is satire?

Have you read any of Chaykin's stuff?

It is satire, but I don't think it's in the same vein as Bomb Queen. I haven't read Bomb Queen, but I remember it coming out, and I feel like that was pretty lighthearted. This isn't.

Issue #4 shipped yesterday and, as has become usual, I read the letters pages first. In this issue, Chaykin addresses the sh*tstorm surrounding the original cover for this issue. That’s what’s on the letter writers’ minds, too, and their comments are quite erudite.

For a much more subtle handling of similar themes, try Secret Empire: Omega #1.

For a somewhat more ham-fisted one, try Savage Dragon #226.

ISSUE #4: Read the story last night. This has got to be the most disfunctional team in comics ever.

ISSUE #5: I’m going t quit pretending I’m reading this series for the story. Some comic books have letters pages (those that have letters pages) which supplement the story; in this case, the story is a supplement to the letters page. I hesitate to call it a discussion, because Chaykin famously doesn’t read the letters, but each issue features an essay by Chaykin followed by various letters of comment. I find my head nodding in agreement as I read the essay, and one letter in particular from this month’s batch drives home the point of what this series is about and what it’s trying to achieve.

Only thing I know about the States of Hysteria is Rufus T. Firefly was president of one of them. Not sure but I believe he got kicked out after the war he got them into.

Is he writing a comic or a set of political essays with a comic attached?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

ISSUE #5: I’m going t quit pretending I’m reading this series for the story. Some comic books have letters pages (those that have letters pages) which supplement the story; in this case, the story is a supplement to the letters page. I hesitate to call it a discussion, because Chaykin famously doesn’t read the letters, but each issue features an essay by Chaykin followed by various letters of comment. I find my head nodding in agreement as I read the essay, and one letter in particular from this month’s batch drives home the point of what this series is about and what it’s trying to achieve.

"Is he writing a comic or a set of political essays with a comic attached?"

Both, realy. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I happen to be enjoying the letters page more than the story itself right now, but that may well change when the story has been completed and I'm able to read it all at once. Chaykin's material is always pretty dense and reads better in a single sitting. I cannot decide whether he is opimistic or pessimistic. His essays and stories are all pretty dark, but what's his purpose in writing them? That I don't know.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service