Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read this thread and think "I should read this series." Then I stop reading the thread and think "Why would I do that to myself?"

Take that as a compliment, Jeff!!

Thanks. I understand. I intend to keep it up as long as it generates any discussion at all. One of the comments I read last week compared Hysteria (favorably or unfavorably, I forget which) to Frank Miller’s Holy Terror. I haven’t read that since it first came out, so I re-read it this weekend. Now I find myself asking, “Why would I do that to myself?”

I'm more interested in what Chaykin has to say here than what Miller did with Holy Terror. But I'm willing to wait for the trade (and equally willing to let my interest subside as I do so). 

I understand. Of course, Divided States and Holy Terror are both very different books with very different purposes, equally offensive (to some) but for different reasons.

Speaking of Frank Miller there's a story about him and Zack Snyder on avclub.com (sorry, the link isn't more specific) titled "Zack Snyder's '300' presaged the howling fascism of the alt-right." It contains this immortal series of words: 

"Snyder famously did whatever he could to make the movie echo its source material, a 1998 comic from Frank Miller, as closely as possible. Individual shots are precise recreations of comic-book panels. Grotesque, distended character sketches are rendered in loving detail. Snyder shot the whole thing on a green-screen set because real, actual mountains and cliffs wouldn’t jut and loom the way they’d done in the books. This wasn’t the first time someone so slavishly recreated one of Miller’s comics; Robert Rodriguez had done the same thing with Sin City in 2005, even giving Miller a co-directing credit. But 300 was even more striking in its fealty, partly because it’s a more sweeping, immersive cinematic vision and partly because it more closely mirrors Miller’s worldview. And Frank Miller happens to be fucking crazy."

I worry that stories like this are too closely a mirror of the time we live in.

I worry that the time we live in too closely mirrors stories like these.

Aaaaand Jeff wins the Internet today.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

That's kind of the point of satire.

This title is satire?

Detective 445 said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

That's kind of the point of satire.

I think it's long past time that I heeded the words of Mr. Glasses in Gremlins 2 "put all money into canned food and shotguns"

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I worry that the time we live in too closely mirrors stories like these.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

This title is satire?

Have you read any of Chaykin's stuff?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service