So, DC has found itself in a controversy thanks to the situation with Eddie Berganza and the controversy flaring up in the wake of Shelly Bond being let go.

What does this board think?

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

Slightly different but not unrelated: the WB has suspended Andrew Kreisberg over allegations of harassment.

Along the slightly different but not unrelated line, Supergirl star Melissa Benoist makes a statement about Andrew Kreigsberg being suspended. From Vulture.com:  "Melissa Benoist Speaks Out About Sexual Harassment Following Supergirl Showrunner’s Suspension"

And Gal Gadot says she'll quit portraying Wonder Woman unless WB gets rid of Brett Ratner. 

The thing with Berganza is: Yes, DC already "dealt" with this issue by sending Berganza through various programs and creating a woman-free zone around him. Now they're suspending him because the heat is on, for the same offenses. 

That will probably give Berganza an open window for a lawsuit. DC should have fired him the first time, and having failed to do so, will now probably pay for that mistake.

I think that's going to cause trouble for DC down the line, too. One more reason (as if we needed one) to excise these predators from a company completely -- if you choose a minimalist response, new revelations (or just increased publicity) can make any leniency seem like the actions of a co-conspirator, and any further actions you take on the original allegations can be used against you in a double-jeopardy way.

And that "woman-free zone" is a horrible, discriminatory idea. If he needed a zone like that, he shouldn't have been at the company at all.

Whoever came up with the concept of a "woman free zone" should have their head examined. Why not force all of the women out of the company? You're punishing women in the company by reassigning or firing them when they aren't at fault. Sounds like a way of discouraging them from complaining.

See the Jerry Sandusky/Joe Paterno situation a few years back...

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think that's going to cause trouble for DC down the line, too. One more reason (as if we needed one) to excise these predators from a company completely -- if you choose a minimalist response, new revelations (or just increased publicity) can make any leniency seem like the actions of a co-conspirator, and any further actions you take on the original allegations can be used against you in a double-jeopardy way.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

See the Jerry Sandusky/Joe Paterno situation a few years back...

Yeah. I remember arguing with an idiot supervisor I had when that was going on; he thought it was so, so terrible that Penn State took down the Joe Paterno statue. I disagreed, because the record reflects that when Paterno and Penn State were told about Jerry Sandusky, their response was to tie their blindfolds tighter, take his keys away and tell him, "we don't know what you did, but whatever you do, don't do it here."

Ultimately, that whole situation came down to the institution putting the interests of a child molester over the interests of children. 

I've heard people say that the best response would be to tear down the stadium and leave the statue as an explanation as to why.

I think their nonresponse was more to do with alumni money than anything else.

Richard Willis said:

I think their nonresponse was more to do with alumni money than anything else.

... which still isn't putting the interests of children first.

Bleeding Cool is reporting that DC's scheduling will probably be thrown into chaos for a while with the departure of Berganza. Part of the reason he had such staying power despite his unsavory character was what he was so integral to getting things out on time. On the other hand, this is a GREAT opportunity for younger editors to step up and show what they can do. Berganza was co-editing Metal with Rebecca Taylor, so she'll be taking the reins solo for the remainder; I'm sure she has it well in hand.

And some late books and some rocky months ahead is a small price to pay for excising that creep.

CK said: "I don't have absolute faith in either the fairness nor the impartiality of human resources departments. HR is a tool of upper management, and can only be as good as upper management allows."

Man, is that ever the truth. Every HR dept. I've ever been worked with was absolutely there to protect management and enforce its will. In my last job at the newspaper, we even had to do all the personnel stuff ourselves (attend to our own insurance, fill out our own timesheets, etc.), so what did HR do? What I said above: Protect management, and enforce their will. No dealings with HR were ever in service to the employee.

Heads up to all my fellow Legionnaires: If you've got an HR department that appears solicitous and helpful, keep your guard up.

Rob said: "And some late books and some rocky months ahead is a small price to pay for excising that creep."

Agreed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service