The First X-Men

I picked this one up primarily because of Neal Adams. I find his loopy dialogue weirdly entertaining, but apparently co-writer Christos Gage is scripting. Batman: Odyssey went on a bit too long, but this one is slated for six issues. I’m not sure exactly when this story is supposed to take place in Wolverine continuity. He is partnered with Sabretooth, yet he already has his claws. The claws are rendered in such a way that they could be made of either adamantium or bone. I thought Logan hooked up with James Hudson directly after his claws we implanted and joined the X-Man directly after that. Of course, if he has bone claws in the story (a notion I reject out of hand), then this story obviously takes place before “Weapon X.” I think his claws are supposed to be bone, and that aspect alone may keep me from reading the rest of the series because it doesn’t conform to Earth-J continuity.

The white-haired mullet-wearing character on the cover is Magneto. (I was hoping it wouldn’t be but afraid it would.) Charles Xavier is a student at Oxford University in issue one, not yet confined to his signature wheelchair. Wolverine refers to him (repeatedly) as “kid.” Sabretooth and Wolverine are hired killers in this story, yet still think of themselves as “good guys.” I am also uncertain how this team of “X-Men” jibes with “Avengers: 1959” in Sabretooth continuity. The other two members of the soon-to-be team are new characters.

I can’t recommend this series to anyone who cares about continuity.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I thought it was okay.  I'm not expecting any sort of adherence to continuity from Neal Adams, and this issue was mostly setup.

• First time I ever picked up an issue by Neal Adams and put it back (even the awful Odyssey I gave 4 issues).

While anyone else but Adams scripting was a plus (for me -- although that someone being Christos Gage was a push, at best), there were a lot more minuses, for me -- lack of interest in the characters being foremost. I was sort of hoping for, maybe, a pre- "X-Men 1" with the classic 5. This whole Logan/Sabretooth Route 66 thing I found a puzzling: Logan and Sabretooth are somehow out pulling a Charles Xavier before Charles comes up with this plan?

The big two-page spread with the monster was cool, though. Neal can still bring it.

• And to think he used to run Continuity Comics

Randy Jackson said:

I thought it was okay.  I'm not expecting any sort of adherence to continuity from Neal Adams, and this issue was mostly setup.

• Unless this meshes with Lost Generation (my favorite Marvel title of the past 15 years or so), I am not interested. That is one reason I skipped the Avengers 1959 altogether

• Gee Rich, are we the only two fans who remember "Lost Generation"....  I think maybe somebody reset the timeline for us or something, eh?

Rich Steeves said:

Unless this meshes with Lost Generation (my favorite Marvel title of the past 15 years or so), I am not interested. That is one reason I skipped the Avengers 1959 altogether

• You may number me as a "Lost Generation" fan as well.

Unfortunately, the entire series is more-or-less a Mopee. :(

• I liked the Lost Generation too but other than an appearance in John Byrne's Hidden Years, everyone at Marvel seems to have forgotten that the series ever existed. 

• It crossed over into one of John Byrne's issues of Spider-Man, too. The key word here is "John Byrne." the entire concept and all the characters were Byrne's. Yes, Marvel owns it, but could anyone other than Byrne do it justice? Would anyone else (writer or editor) even want to? (Empirical evidence says, "no.") Until/unless some editor at Marvel wants to hire Byrne to further develop it, my quess is it will remain forgotten/ignored.

• Wasn't there a 'Howie' Chaykin miniseries recently set in the 50s?  Nick Fury maybe?  I presume it didn't tie into Lost Generation at all.

Anyway, Byrne's Lost Generation, as I understand it, would have benefited from the gap that opened up in the 90s between the era of the 40s heroes and the beginnings of the heroes who were then running around.  These days, that gap has widened and so you could probably fit a few 'lost generations' in there, and perhaps some of the simple 'stepping stone' elements of the plotting between the two eras wouldn't be so simple anymore?

• I think it was Avengers 1959. I believe Jeff picked it up.

Figserello said:

Wasn't there a 'Howie' Chaykin miniseries recently set in the 50s?  Nick Fury maybe?  I presume it didn't tie into Lost Generation at all.

Anyway, Byrne's Lost Generation, as I understand it, would have benefited from the gap that opened up in the 90s between the era of the 40s heroes and the beginnings of the heroes who were then running around.  These days, that gap has widened and so you could probably fit a few 'lost generations' in there, and perhaps some of the simple 'stepping stone' elements of the plotting between the two eras wouldn't be so simple anymore?

This reply was deleted.