From Variety"‘The Flash’ Star Ezra Miller Charged With Felony Burglary in Vermont"

Okay, someone please explain to me ... in words of three syllables or less ... how Warner Bros. Discovery can cancel the Batgirl movie after dropping $90 million on it, and hang on to The Flash movie, which has a problem star who has just been arrested and charged with burglary ... 

... after being accused of keeping a woman and her three kids at a ranch that has unsecured guns and ammunition (the woman's 1-year-old put a loose bullet in her mouth, per Rolling Stone) ...

... after getting an order of protection issued by a 12-year-old, per The Daily Beast) ... 

... after choking a woman heckler outside a bar, per CBR) ... 

... and much, much more (per the Independent)..

This ain't the 1940s when the studios had fixers like Eddie Mannix who could bury stuff like this. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can't explain it from my own perspective, CK -- it's clearly nuts.

The best I can come up with, from what the new Warner Bros. Discovery CEO has said, is that he's so committed to theatrical releases for DC characters that he'd rather have a flawed theatrical release than a decent streaming movie. That doesn't make a lot of sense to us mortals down here on Earth, but it does follow from Zaslov's public comments.

There's also the possibility of prejudice: Leslie Grace is a Latin female, and Ezra Miller is a white male. I tend to think less of that theory thanks to the success of Captain Marvel and Black Panther; you'd really have to have blinders on to think that race/gender is that big a deal to superhero audiences. Also, given Miller's sexual fluidity, I wouldn't think he would count as a "white male" to those with gender prejudices. But, hey, never underestimate stupid.

For my own part, I'd rather see Batgirl, and I may boycott Flash.

• It doesn't help that Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav thinks "diversity" means hiring only white males, per Bloomberg News: "Warner Bros. Discovery Leadership Team Draws Ire Over Diversity"

I usually don't have much use for Kevin Smith, but he's dead right that it looks terrible to kill a movie with a Latina lead for reasons that are, frankly, unpersuasive and not kill a movie that's got trouble written all over it. Per Variety: "Kevin Smith Slams Warner Bros. for Axing ‘Batgirl’ but Still Releasing ‘The Flash’: ‘That Is Baffling’")

• God, this Flash movie is cursed, and the curse's name is Ezra Miller. They've gotta burn this down and start over. If they're serious about building up the DC movie franchise, how they hell could they consider this a good cornerstone?

I would really like to see a Flash movie. But when I go, I'd really like to not have misgivings about who I'm giving money to. And Ezra Miller has no business being in that role. Or any, really.

• Leslie Grace was good in the movie version of In the Heights (2021), which I had previously seen on stage.

I have never been happy with Ezra Miller's casting in the Flash movie. Even before he was obviously a train wreck, his portrayal of the character as an apparently dingy teen(ish) guy didn't work for me. 

• Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I would really like to see a Flash movie. But when I go, I'd really like to not have misgivings about who I'm giving money to. And Ezra Miller has no business being in that role. Or any, really.

This, right here, is the heart of how Warner's has perfected the knack of making superhero movies that make boatloads of money that people don't like. As noted over here:

ClarkKent_DC said:

It's my belief that the poobahs in charge of DC movies look at the multi-thousand-dollar box office results and draw the wrong lesson: That people like what they do, when it's more that people want to see those characters, DESPITE what they do. But Marvel movies make billions of dollars (that's "billions," with a "B"), because people want to see those characters AND they like what Marvel does with them.

• Richard Willis said:

I have never been happy with Ezra Miller's casting in the Flash movie. Even before he was obviously a train wreck, his portrayal of the character as an apparently dingy teen(ish) guy didn't work for me. 

To my mind, Ezra Miller wasn't playing Barry Allen, The Flash. Miller was playing Bart Allen, Impulse.

But that's typical of live-action translations of DC characters, like how on Supergirl, they renamed Renee Montoya "Maggie Sawyer," Jimmy Olsen "Win Schott," and Ron Troupe "James (Not Jimmy) Olsen."

• And when you get down to it, Oliver Queen was basically Bruce Wayne. 

• The originally wanted to do Batman but that wasn't allowed. So they used Oliver Queen and as many Batman villains as possible and pretended it was Green Arrow.

I guess this was retaliation for the 1950s Green Arrow having an Arrow-Cave and an Arrow-Car.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And when you get down to it, Oliver Queen was basically Bruce Wayne. 

• Warner Brothers Discovery is considering its options, per The Hollywood Reporter, and scrapping The Flash movie, while unlikely, is not off the table: "Warner Bros. Weighing Fate of ‘The Flash’ as Its Ezra Miller Problem Grows"

The Hollywood Reporter writes:

A source with knowledge of the situation says the studio appears to be preparing for three possible scenarios.

First, Warners has received indications that the 29-year-old Miller, whose mother has accompanied the actor in recent days, will seek professional help after returning home to their farm in Vermont after being away. If that happens, Miller, who goes by they/them pronouns, could give an interview at some point explaining their erratic behavior over the past few years. The actor could then do limited press for The Flash, and the movie would open in cinemas as planned.

The second scenario: Even if Miller doesn’t reach out for help, Warners could still release the film. But don’t expect Miller to play a prominent role in terms of marketing and publicity. Nor would Miller be the Flash going forward, as the role would be recast in future projects.

The third: The situation with Miller deteriorates further. This would see Warners killing the movie outright, as it could not be reshot with a different actor. Miller plays multiple characters and is in almost every scene. Scrapping a $200 million film would be an unprecedented move.

• Ezra Miller has issued an apology for his actions and legal troubles.

Well, if he's sorry, then everything's OKAY! 

This reply was deleted.