PRESS RELEASE

OUT OF THE SPEED FORCE AND INTO THE FIRE! TEAM FLASH MEETS NEW CHALLENGES (AND CHARACTERS) IN THE FLASH SEASON FOUR!

Cast and Producers Reveal New Characters at Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — After three seasons of running, you’d think Barry Allen would deserve a break. He’s faced his evil-twin time remnant, saved his fiancée from the God of Speed and even sacrificed himself to stabilize the Speed Force. But now, in season four, Allen (aka The Flash) and his team will face new threats with the addition of some new characters, it was revealed at the 2017 Comic-Con panel for The Flash on Saturday, July 22. From the official reveal of next season’s big bad and more, the news had fans racing at a fever pitch.

Danny Trejo

Danny Trejo (Machete, From Dusk Till Dawn, Sons of Anarchy) has signed on to play the role of Breacher, a feared bounty hunter from Earth-19 and the imposing father to inter-dimensional bounty hunter, Gypsy (Jessica Camacho). His mission is to prevent any inter-dimensional traveler from threatening life on his planet — especially his daughter’s.

Neil Sandilands as The Thinker

Arriving in Central City as next season’s central super villain, Neil Sandilands (The 100, The Americans) will play DC villain Clifford Devoe, aka The Thinker, a metahuman with a mega mind who embarks on a season-long battle with The Flash that pits the “fastest man alive” against the “fastest mind alive.” A true genius, he’s devised an intricate plan to fix all that he deems wrong with humanity.

Kim Engelbrecht

Kim Engelbrecht (Dominion, Eye in the Sky) has been set as DC character The Mechanic, a highly intelligent engineer who designs devices for Devoe. As Devoe’s right hand, she’s the truest of true believers who’ll stop at nothing to help him implement his plan to fix humanity.

The Flash returns for season four on Tuesday, October 10, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Todd Helbing and Sarah Schechter. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No chatter about this week's episode, "Girl's Night Out"? After all, it had the always welcome presence of District Attorney Cecile, and the equally always welcome presence of Felicity Smoak!*

With the impending nuptials of Barry and Iris, she and her friends head for her bachelorette party. But where are Iris's friends? There's Barry's friend Felicity, Joe's lady love District Attorney Cecile, and Barry's friend Caitlin. Doesn't Iris have any friends of her own? From high school? College? Her neighborhood? How about Linda Park, her co-worker from Central City News? Oh, right ... Iris doesn't work there any more. They even try to talk District Attorney Cecile's daughter into coming along, but she declines.

No matter; they have fun anyway, at least until some weird dude comes looking for Caitlin and launching them into a wild adventure with a villain who won't let Killer Frost out of her deal to work for her. Unprepared and unarmed, Felicity and Iris immediately strike back, and Iris takes charge on the mission to get to the bottom of things. Good. Way too often last season, the writers put Iris in the position of being the damsel in distress. But this night, when their distress calls went unanswered, the sisters did it for themselves. Well done.

And why did the call go unanswered? Because the guys were at Barry's bachelor party. It began as an evening at the West home, sipping brandy, smoking cigars and watching home movies, until Ralph Dibny invites himself along and insists they take things to the Golden Booty Club.

TV Ralph is sleazier than Ralph from the comics, but sleazy or not, it did inject a whole lot more fun into the proceedings. Cisco helpfully provided Barry with a concoction that allowed him to feel the effects of alcohol; naturally, he overdid it, and Barry became wonderfully loopy. Loopy Barry is a lot of fun to watch. 

Shocker of the night: We find out why District Attorney Cecile's daughter didn't join her mother and Iris. Ouch.

Sleazy Ralph's ways catch up to him; somebody confronts him and a brawl breaks out and Barry, Cisco, Joe and Ralph get to see the inside of a cell, until Harrison Wells bails them out. But how come Wells didn't get arrested, too? He was there.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Joe tells Barry his fears over being a new parent at this point in his life, and Barry talks him off the ledge, letting him know how good a dad he was when he did it alone, and now he's got a family to help him through it. Joe proves how good a dad he is by guiding District Attorney Cecile's daughter about working at the Golden Booty Club. And Joe and Cecile have a heart-to-heart over their fears at being new parents.

It all was so good, I didn't even notice that there was absolutely no speedster action in this episode, not even once!

*If nobody's noticed, I like District Attorney Cecile. A lot. And I like Felicity. I got introduced to her during the last Arrowverse crossover, and considered watching Arrow just for her.

I actually did watch a couple of episodes, but at that point in the Arrow storyline, Oliver had been tricked into puncturing Felicity's boyfriend full of holes, making Felicity understandably sad and weepy and angsty. Sad and weepy and angsty Felicity was not what I came over to see.

Plus, Oliver felt bad about puncturing Felicity's boyfriend full of holes, but that was it. I have a problem with the notion that bad guys are bad because they kill people, but good guys aren't bad when they kill people.

Cecile's daughter’s rationalization for working as an “exotic dancer” (it’s “empowering”) is taken directly from Hugh Hefner’s Playbook (pun intended). Drunk Barry was funny, but I can see the PC police taking offense.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Cecile's daughter’s rationalization for working as an “exotic dancer” (it’s “empowering”) is taken directly from Hugh Hefner’s Playbook (pun intended). Drunk Barry was funny, but I can see the PC police taking offense.

... and Joe cut right through that nonsense when he asked Cecile's daughter why she was hiding the job from her mother. But he guided her, he didn't shame her. He is a good dad.

It was a really fun episode. I thought Katee Sackhoff must have been having a ball with her turn as Blacksmith, since she's so over-the-top (especially compared to her roles on Battlestar Galactica and Longmire). The idea that she has these fantastic super powers, but needs to carry a bucket with her everywhere she goes, cracked me up all night. 

I think the guy playing Ralph (and the folks writing him) have decided to treat him like a Bruce Campbell character...he could easily be Ash or Sam Axe with stretching powers. I think it's a blast.

I'm greatly enjoying Flash this season, with the noticeable lack of other speedsters. I miss Wally, but writing convincing stories that are challenging to two hero speedsters without involving a (arrgghh) speedster villain would be tough. This version of Ralph Dibny is pretty great. I loved the nose-twitch!

CK, you could give Arrow another try. Felicity isn't weepy any more, and she and Oliver are finally getting back together.. Arrow is still a little on the dark side but it does have its good points. My eyes just glaze over in the fight scenes. Martial arts bore me quickly.

I haven't watched "Girls Night Out" yet, so I can't comment. I will say I agree with you, Richard, on the fight scenes. Honest, at first I enjoyed them -- they've greatly improved in recent years, and the choreography seems up to movie standards. But after six seasons, I've seen enough of them. Just cut to the end -- I'll take it as a given that whoever wins fought better.

On November 27 and 28, The CW will air this year's Arrowverse crossover, Crisis on Earth-X.

This week only, Arrow will follow Supergirl on Monday. Supergirl and Arrow will be parts one and two. Flash and Legends of Tomorrow will be parts three and four.

Ralph reminds me more of Plastic Man then he does Elongated Man. Right down to the shady past.

JohnD said:

Ralph reminds me more of Plastic Man then he does Elongated Man. Right down to the shady past.

I thought he was kind of a mash-up of the two characters but for some reason forgot to mention it.

It's not as though combining those two characters is a stretch.

Richard Willis said:

I thought he was kind of a mash-up of the two characters but for some reason forgot to mention it.

Just wait 'til someone looks around the basement and is inspired to add some color to Ralph's costume.

JohnD said:

My brother absolutely hates Elongated Man. "I hated him in the '60s, and I hate him now!" 

I don't mind him, as the ranks of Team Flash were becoming depleted, and he adds some humor and much-needed non-nobleness. My only complaint is that TV FX aren't up to the task of a stretchy person (yet). 

As to recent episodes, I'm kinda amazed that A) Flash was dumb enough to break into the house of someone who he knows has cameras everywhere and is 10 steps ahead of him and has already filed a harassment complaint against him, and B) the CCPD only suspended a cop when they had photographic proof of him committing a crime. 

But hey, it's TV. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service