PRESS RELEASE

OUT OF THE SPEED FORCE AND INTO THE FIRE! TEAM FLASH MEETS NEW CHALLENGES (AND CHARACTERS) IN THE FLASH SEASON FOUR!

Cast and Producers Reveal New Characters at Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — After three seasons of running, you’d think Barry Allen would deserve a break. He’s faced his evil-twin time remnant, saved his fiancée from the God of Speed and even sacrificed himself to stabilize the Speed Force. But now, in season four, Allen (aka The Flash) and his team will face new threats with the addition of some new characters, it was revealed at the 2017 Comic-Con panel for The Flash on Saturday, July 22. From the official reveal of next season’s big bad and more, the news had fans racing at a fever pitch.

Danny Trejo

Danny Trejo (Machete, From Dusk Till Dawn, Sons of Anarchy) has signed on to play the role of Breacher, a feared bounty hunter from Earth-19 and the imposing father to inter-dimensional bounty hunter, Gypsy (Jessica Camacho). His mission is to prevent any inter-dimensional traveler from threatening life on his planet — especially his daughter’s.

Neil Sandilands as The Thinker

Arriving in Central City as next season’s central super villain, Neil Sandilands (The 100, The Americans) will play DC villain Clifford Devoe, aka The Thinker, a metahuman with a mega mind who embarks on a season-long battle with The Flash that pits the “fastest man alive” against the “fastest mind alive.” A true genius, he’s devised an intricate plan to fix all that he deems wrong with humanity.

Kim Engelbrecht

Kim Engelbrecht (Dominion, Eye in the Sky) has been set as DC character The Mechanic, a highly intelligent engineer who designs devices for Devoe. As Devoe’s right hand, she’s the truest of true believers who’ll stop at nothing to help him implement his plan to fix humanity.

The Flash returns for season four on Tuesday, October 10, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Todd Helbing and Sarah Schechter. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Views: 2508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd chalk up the drinking in the office to the difference between magazine culture and newspaper culture -- and how newspaper culture has changed where magazine culture may have not.

Newspaper culture changed from drinking in the office being just par for the course to being a no-no that gets HR involved as newspapers changed from family businesses to being divisions of conglomerates. I can't speak to magazine culture, except to say that drinking in the office is probably one of those things that, somewhere on paper, HR says you shouldn't do but everybody ignores until there's a problem. Then HR can establish the paper trail to get rid of the embarrassing offender.

Some of it is definitely a matter of culture, and even the personalities of the bosses. At one magazine, after a change of leadership, our newly installed publisher would push around a drink cart with wine and beer every Friday. It also helps to be in a city where everyone's taking public transportation. I think it'd be far less likely to happen at a business where everyone drives to work. 

Was glad to see on the most recent episode of Flash that my viewpoint that Hartley Sawyer is playing Elongated Man as if he were Bruce Campbell was pretty much confirmed in the context of the show. When he sees his new costume for the first time, he says "Groovy" -- a catch-phrase of Campbell's Ash in the Evil Dead movies. 

There was a scene... an episode or two back... that I thought was a little... obvious.

Joe was just about to plant evidence (way out of character!) and it was Ralph who stopped him. I think we as the audience were supposed to see how easy it was for Ralph to have made that mistake when it was "justified."

Nope, I wan't buying it. It was too heavy handed.

I think Ralph has redeemed himself now, and we can put the mis-step of his having planted evidence behind us.

Ralph's special effects are already better than the last Fantastic Four movie. Not great, mind you, but miles better than the last big-budget movie to try a stretchy guy.

Speaking of which, "Stretchy Guy" probably would be a better name than "Elongated Man." Maybe that's just me.

No, in real life, people would probably call him, "Stretchy Guy."

I know these shows are meant to be a little on the Silver Age side, but it kind of irks me when:

-Barry, behind prison walls, demonstrates how his powers should take out 80% of the villains he's faced in about 10 seconds. But then, the rest of the episode watching everyone hang out at CC Jitters.

-Killer Frost and Vibe fall for an obvious trap set by a couple of non-metahumans they should've been able to instantly stop, just so Ralph can rise (stretch?) to the occasion.

I hope, like Ollie, we see Ralph move a little towards the character we see in comics. I want Ralph and Sue solving mysteries.

Captain Comics said:

Ralph's special effects are already better than the last Fantastic Four movie. Not great, mind you, but miles better than the last big-budget movie to try a stretchy guy.

Speaking of which, "Stretchy Guy" probably would be a better name than "Elongated Man." Maybe that's just me.

I just saw the last episode via On Demand; somehow, the box failed to record it. Some thoughts:

• Can't say I'm too excited about a long run of "Barry Behind Bars" stories, mainly because I saw a whole season of that over on Suits just a year ago. Granted, Mike, the lead character in Suits, had it coming and Barry's innocent.* Still, it got tiresome to see stories about Mike surviving in prison and the rest of the law firm finagling ways to get him free. Let's wrap this up quick.
  • In the latest example of "The CW Doesn't Understand How the World Works," Iris visits Barry every day? Iris GETS to visit Barry every day? No. Weekly, maybe, and more like monthly, here on Earth-Prime. And she's lucky the prison is in town; for some people, the prison they have to get to isn't even in the same time zone, let alone the same state.
  • Other than that, nice to see Ralph growing into being a hero. There was no way he could know he could survive that bomb at the start of the episode. Having done so, sure, he would think he was invulnerable and it would be scary to find out he's not.
  • The last time I went to the movies, I saw a trailer for a movie that Keiynan Lonsdale is in, so that explains why we haven't seen much of Wally.
  • I've always thought "Elongated Man" was a lousy name, but they're obligated to use it, which is why Cisco didn't come up with a better one, which he was supposed to do by now. 
  • Speaking of Cisco, who was the young lady who paid for his and Ralph's coffee at CC Jitters?

* The original premise of Suits was that Mike got hired at a high-powered law firm as a junior associate despite not actually being a lawyer, because Harvey, the senior partner who hired him, saw a kindred spirit. After four seasons of Mike and Harvey trying to keep the secret, Mike gets busted by the FBI on the night he decides to quit the charade. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

I've always thought "Elongated Man" was a lousy name, but they're obligated to use it, which is why Cisco didn't come up with a better one, which he was supposed to do by now.

I remember that Cisco was trying to come up with a name for him but Ralph didn't think he needed one and brushed him off. So now the newspaper hung Elongated Man on him. It helps to explain the unwieldy name in that he didn't choose it himself. In his origin in the early Flash comics I think he was working in a carnival at first after getting his powers. "Elongated Man" was the carnival name that he chose to keep.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Speaking of Cisco, who was the young lady who paid for his and Ralph's coffee at CC Jitters?

That's a darn good question! She was also the waitress at the wedding who was inordinately thrilled to meet Barry Allen.

My guess is Jenni Ognats, aka XS of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Barry's grand-daughter. But it could also be Dawn Allen of the Tornado Twins (Don is the other), Iris and Barry's daughter. (Remember when Crazy Barry said "We're gonna need more diapers!" Yeah: The Tornado Twins are coming.) 

But that's just if we rely on comic book lore. I read an article this weekend that made a good case for her to be the daughter of Cisco and Gypsy. 

All we know is:

* She's really thrilled to meet Team Flash.

* She may or may not have foreknowledge. She showed up at the wedding as part of the hired help, so she knew it was going to happen early enough to land that job. (Or she just rented a uniform and pretended to be staff.) And she was in CC Jitters in time to pay the bill, so that might imply foreknowledge. (Or she just hangs out there, knowing that the group she's shadowing likes to go there.)

* She writes in the same bizarre script that Crazy Barry did when he got out of the Speed Force.

So does that mean it's Speed Force language, and she's a speedster? Or is that Interlac, from the Legion of Super-Heroes, meaning she's XS and Barry visited the future during his time in the Speed Force? Or is it something else altogether?

Oh, Jeff, I just wanted to say that the Ralph/Joe scene outside of DeVoe's house, where Joe is about to plant evidence and Ralph talks him out of it, might be my favorite non-action scene of the season. It was a little heavy-handed, sure, and it definitely pushed Joe's character to a breaking point, but it really showed how Ralph had turned around, and it emphasized something that doesn't get mentioned enough on these shows -- that there is value to the processes and restrictions we put on cops. Granted, Ralph doesn't exactly make that argument -- he mostly argues that doing it will be bad for Joe in the long run -- but those are the consequences he has experience with. I'd have also like to have seen him mention that because of his actions, other, legal, convictions he worked on were called into question, and it unraveled much of the good work he did as a cop. But even given the limits of what he said, I really liked it. 

Sorry it didn't work for you -- it really fired on all cylinders for me!  

Hmm...

Yeah, that was a really stupid development. It's not like they wouldn't be able eventually put together enough evidence to give Ratchet a retrial -- a confession isn't the only thing that would trigger that.

Barry basically did what Ralph talked Joe out of doing -- he took a shortcut to justice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service