From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm enjoying The Flash, although I also don't understand why Henry Allen gave himself the bum's rush. 

I understand that Dr. Wells will be back, but how he'll interact with everyone else is a mystery. Will the team give him the cold shoulder, not able to get over that he's a different man now? Will he be able to walk? 

The homage to the "Flash of Two Worlds" comic book cover was pretty cool. Thanks for the "easter egg" that only comics fans would get! (There was one other thing I wanted to point out about last night's episode, too, but I forgot what it was.)

Oh, I remember what it was! I wanted to say how pleased I was that Tom Cavanagh is still in the cast (as Professor Zoom of Earth-2). It's like having your cake and eating it, too.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Oh, I remember what it was! I wanted to say how pleased I was that Tom Cavanagh is still in the cast (as Professor Zoom of Earth-2). It's like having your cake and eating it, too.

I was also jazzed about the Flash of Two Worlds cover homage. I pulled up the cover image for my wife so she could appreciate it too.

It wasn't clear to me that Cavanagh was Zoom.

Oh, you don't think so? Well, maybe not. (I had forgotton we actually saw Professor Zoom.) I went through most of last season convinced Eddie Thawn was the Reverse Flash, so you may be right. Then I'll just say I'm pleased that Tom Cavanagh is still in the cast and leave it at that.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The homage to the "Flash of Two Worlds" comic book cover was pretty cool. Thanks for the "easter egg" that only comics fans would get!

For me, it's that type of moment that makes it worth slogging through some of the corny dialogue and teen soap opera stuff.

When Cisco and Stein identified the various incursion points on the map, I found myself wondering if there would be 52 of them. Also thought it was interesting that Cisco described his precog ability as a "vibe." Apparently, his powers won't have anything to do with the comics but instead may function as a plot device to possibly allow him to plug into the multiverse.

Jay got knocked out and, of course, his helmet stayed on!

I realized something while watching this episode. The Flash always looks strange to me in the scenes where he is running at super speed. Visually, it just looks awkward and wrong to me. Then it occurred to me that I am used to seeing him in the comics where the rapid motion of arms and legs can't really be depicted so I have always subconsciously perceived him to be just sort of "gliding" along as though skiing down a slope.

The way Gumby "walks."

I thought it all was really creative and used the comics' material very well. I laughed out loud at the Flash #123 and 52 references. The concept of Earth-2 isn't that hard to digest after Fringe did it so well to good results, and it gives the show another source for villains besides just more STAR Labs freaks.

The six-month time lag still is a little bothersome. I realize Jay needed some time to figure out who/where Flash was, but it implied that anyone could do what he did if they paid attention, and I'd think some people would be. And then he walked into the new security-ladened Lab without any powers.

I have to think he first looked up the Jay Garrick of Earth-1 and discovered that he was nothing significant. I don't understand why Jay didn't approach Detective West with his information to get to the Flash faster than figuring it out on his own. It's also strange that Jay had been there six months and only now that he's figured out who Flash is has Zoom begun attacking.But I can overlook the six-month-gap thing if they stop bringing it up.

I figured Tom Cavanaugh would come back as the Earth-1 Wells, since he should still exist and be running STAR Labs with Eobard gone. I guess eliminating Eobard changed the past and the future in some Doctor Who-ish way in which only the things they want changed were affected. The way he was set up, he could be good or evil. I'm guessing he'll be good, but whether he gets to Earth-1 is another question.

I'll be interested to see if/when Jay gets his powers back. I thought he might when Barry was throwing lightning around, but that might make too many speedsters too fast. He can be a mentor for now. I thought it strange that they said he'd had his powers for only two years rather than for much longer, as with the comics Jay. Barry has had his for at least a year, I'd figure, so Jay isn't that much further along the curve.

It was a lot of fun, just as it has been all along. I'm looking forward to the season!

-- MSA

"I thought it strange that they said he'd had his powers for only two years rather than for much longer, as with the comics Jay."

I had the same thought. But just as the Flash tv show is an amalgam of many different Flash comic books, I think Jay Garrick being a little bit older than Barry and a little bit more experienced is a compromise between the historical Earth-2 Flash and the "New 52" version, in which the JSA and the JLA are more-or-less contemporaries.

Not to nitpick, but I think the Earth-2 Flash is younger than Barry. He was in college when introduced, or had just graduated. Or maybe it was his girlfriend who graduated -- the one who dumped him for being too unambitious.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service