Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 3909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He also said in Nemo that he made Superman a hero because he'd seen Fu Manchu having trouble since it starred the villain. I believe it was the issue that reprinted The Reign of the Superman. He also gave Superman physical powers because he knew using mental powers would have been difficult to draw and looked boring. That's why they were peddling Clark Kent around to different companies instead of Bill Dunn.

Big news about a potential spinoff.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/cw-developing-arrowflash-spin-o...

It looks like we might either be getting an anthology series or a team series featuring a variety of DC super-heroes, rather than the Atom solo series that people have been predicting.

There will be a new episode of The Flash this coming Tuesday, March 17.

March 17 episode: Good episode, but I call shenanigans on the Reverse Flash reveal (on grounds of misleading the audience, two counts).

Well, it does explain why Reverse Flash didn't kill Eddie when he was killing everybody else.

Yes, I also thought it was a great episode. Now Barry is in the past and presumably can change at least a couple of things. (Hopefully not his new relationship with Iris)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

March 17 episode: Good episode, but I call shenanigans on the Reverse Flash reveal (on grounds of misleading the audience, two counts).

As soon as Cisco died, I knew that Barry would be going into the past. They're treading very close to paradoxes here, but I suppose Doctor Who's timey-wimey principles will prove out. 

It was a shock that they revealed so much this early, but given that we've always known who killed Nora, I'm glad they're pushing things along. It's interesting how many people have secrets and then reveal them quickly rather than letting them fester. After so many years of watching secrets develop for no good reason on Smallville, it's a refreshing approach.

It's going to be an interesting end to the season, given that they are going to have to go in new directions to keep things rolling!

-- MSA

Don't even try to tell me that wasn't a Quantum Leap reference at the end.

This may sound a bit dirty but what the hell?

IMO, they seem to be shooting the load a bit early. I will be the first to admit I am not a big fan of long drawn out storylines but we have the reveal of Eobard Thawne (Who, as I have stated in the past, I was hoping would be Flash's version of the behind the scenes manipulative Lex Luthor from Smallville), Barry and Iris as a couple and his reveal to her that he is The Flash, the death of Cisco ( I do like that Zoom sticks to his M.O. of killing with the vibrating hand).

It is possible, as mentioned previously, that it can all be resolved using "Timey Wimey" resolutions but if they do that, I feel it will just feel like a humongous cheat and I can't believe I would be the only one on that.

That all said, FINALLY, after-images. A Flash staple

P.S. Honestly, I never even noticed the Oh boy until you mentioned it Doctor Hmmm?

Oh boy, indeed!

Yes, lots of Flash staples making their appearance. Hasn't the Scarlet Speedster also defeated a tsunami before by running back and forth in front of it?

Also: Finally, finally, finally an explanation for why Eobard is so protective of Flash -- he needs him to escape this time for some reason. So he creates Flash and then protects him until he's fast enough to do whatever it is he needs. (Cosmic Treadmill?)

Can the status quo survive this episode? I'm sure Cisco will be back (although it was a great death scene), but will he still have suspicions about the good doctor? Flash will remember the scene with Iris, but she won't. That is a truly odd romantic entanglement!

Evidently Barry's relationship with Linda is doomed, but does the actress who plays her remind anyone besides me of Olivia Munn?

It just occurred to me. Did we witness the death of Cisco... or the origin of Vibe?

Not likely, I admit, but it could be kinda cool.

For shame on the writers of this show! Everyone knows it took Barry forever to tell Iris he was the Flash!

Eobard Thawne is Mopey?

Well, they do share the same name. And Caitlyn Snow became Killer Frost in the comics. Honestly, I hope the use of those names are just Easter eggs and not predictors.

Bob Buethe said:

It just occurred to me. Did we witness the death of Cisco... or the origin of Vibe?

Not likely, I admit, but it could be kinda cool.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service