Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 3936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or introduce some version of the Firehawk character for Ronnie so Caitlyn and Barry might have a chance!

Grodd. Hate. Banana.

Honestly, sometimes it feels like they're writing this show just for me.

Didn't they do something like that with the old show? And Barry's brother was named Jay wasn't he?

Bob Buethe said:

Mr. Silver Age said:

Maybe they need to introduce Daphne Dean.

-- MSA

That's what I said to my wife when they introduced Linda Park. "No! No! Wrong Flash! She should be Daphne Dean! Or at least Fiona Webb!"

'Course, it could have been worse. She might have been Joan Williams.

That was a fun episode, but I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get the erudite and articulate character that he's generally been in the comics.

I'm also disappointed that his origin on the show seems to preclude the existence of Gorilla City and King Solovar.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Grodd. Hate. Banana.

Honestly, sometimes it feels like they're writing this show just for me.

I agree that it would be better if the Gorilla City concept was used. They seem to be going overboard with all the characters having to be from the particle accelerator explosion and/or from Eobard Thawne. Even Captain Cold and Heat Wave get their weapons from STAR labs.

I'm not crazy about the depiction of Grodd as a savage beast but I think that is his recent depiction in the comics.

I think you're right about the second but not necessarily right on the first. He's evolving, so maybe by the time we see him again he'll be conversing in full English. He's already pretty scheming.

I'm not complaining about it in any event. Heck, I'm gobsmacked that I'm watching a Flash show with the Reverse Flash setting Grodd loose on Barry Allen! As Doctor Hmm notes, since they seem to be writing it for me, how can this show possibly be a hit? 

I never know where this show is going, and I'm really impressed with how fast they're burning off origin story, even if Eobard gets away for now and that isn't resolved. And next week's preview of Arrow, Firestorm and Flash taking on the Reverse Flash? Jumping jets!

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

As Doctor Hmm notes, since they seem to be writing it for me, how can this show possibly be a hit?

This reminds me of the time when all of the then-in-power movie and TV people knew that the comics properties had to be drastically changed for the general public, such as the afore-mentioned Captain America TV movies, swiftly followed by their failure. I think the general public is capable of enjoying good, imaginative stories that are told well, just like us insiders.

Of course it helps that we now have a level of special effects that can do these stories justice.

He's evolving, so maybe by the time we see him again he'll be conversing in full English.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping.

Also: (1) That was a pretty good CGI gorilla.  (2) I loved Clancy Brown as a Grodd-zombie.

They're still being drastically changed.

On one hand, they should be scared sh*tl#ss that Welles is out there and knows everything about them.

OTOH, he wants to keep "his" timeline intact so he can't kill Barry and Iris for at least ten years.

On the Big Bang Theory last night, Sheldon Cooper contemplated making the commitment to watch Flash, citing his experience with Smallville as an example. I made the exact same decision, before the show even started, to watch the show for as long as it lasted (or, as Sheldon put it, “I waited 10 years to see a character I already knew could fly, fly.”). I never expected Smallville to last a decade, though, especially after the lame “KFotW” first season. The second season was such a vast improvement over the first, the momentum carried me through the remaining eight, although I admit it became a chore the last couple of seasons. But Flash is such an improvement over Smallville I find myself ambivalent about future seasons because I don’t believe they can possibly top the first season.

It took a few days for me to see this week's Flash, but man, Grodd looked good! Like MSA, I think we'll see a smarter and smarter Grodd as things go forward. And while his origin *seems* to preclude a Gorilla City, the show's creators have so much obvious affection for Flash & DC mythos that I wouldn't be surprised if they got us there eventually, even if the city's origins aren't the same. (Here's one way to do it: a villain gets hold of some of Grodd's cells in order to try cloning him, but his process makes the clones all individuals, not the identical ape army he wanted. After his defeat, Barry relocates the clones to an unpopulated area of Africa, and Cisco develops a cloaking shield so they can begin to create their society in peace.)

I'm really looking forward to these last few episodes.. and then onto season 2, where we'll hopefully see Mirror Master and Abra Kadabra!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service