Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if Eddie talks in his sleep...?

That would be awesome. It's one of my favorite parts of the Flash mythos, which I first learned via an electronic trvia game called Quiz Whiz, which had a book on DC comics trivia.

Also -- I certainly hope their wedding day was Flash-revealing day!

That makes Flash look like both a creep and a nitwit. She sounds calm but in that second panel from her expression and hand gesture it looks like she's fighting off the urge to really let him have it.

Wonder if with all the horror going around these days would they dare adapt the Satan Club story? Maybe the dead bodies would be in a trance or something.

Oh, definitely it reflects poorly on Flash to modern, adult eyes. As a 10-year-old -- someone far more concerned about the sanctity of a secret identity than the bond of trust between husband and wife -- I thought it was cool as hell. 

Watching the TV series (I'm a belated convert), I really don't understand why so many people are bent on keeping Iris in the dark about the Flash's secret identity ... especially when there are SO many people who know it!

Especially when she's been in danger just by being a reporter (Trickster), Joe's daughter (Weather Wizard) or growing up with Barry (Girder).

And she was asking Eddie about the amount of criminals he captured in ONE night, as in the SPEED in which he did it. She didn't ask Joe, her father and more importantly Eddie's partner about the implication that the Flash (her focal subject and fantasy figure) was directly aiding the CCPD because she knew what his answer would be: "I don't know what you're talking about and you can't ask me about internal police matters."

She was using her relationship with Eddie to gain information that she is not privileged to and was withholding sex from him until he told her what she wanted to know and turned it around on him as being upset about his lack of trust and openness.

No matter how you look at it, she comes off as shallow, selfish and vindictive while causing Eddie great emotional distress.

No, I look at it a different way. Sure, she's asking the person who might give her a better answer, but that's what reporters do. She's not the one causing Eddie emotional distress -- that's Barry & Joe. They're the ones who revealed a huge secret to him and insisted he not tell his girlfriend. They could have brought him in on the investigation without revealing Barry's ID. And if Iris asked him if he were working with the Flash, he could have evaded that question with a clear conscience -- that's part of the job. But what's not part of the job is lying to her about who her best friend in the world really is. It's not Iris's fault he has that information -- it's Barry & Joe's fault. They put him in a lousy position. 

As for withholding sex until he told her what she wanted to know? I read that totally differently, too -- she knew he was lying about something. It's not a tactic, it's just simply her not being in the mood because she doesn't trust him. 

I don't know why Eddie couldn't admit that he and Joe were working closely with the Flash. That wouldn't be admitting that he knew who the Flash was.

Also, Iris told him she was going to stay with her dad. Withholding sex was probably part of that but it would be worse if she was withholding sex in the same room as Eddie.

I agree, I'm not sure why Barry had to reveal his identity to Eddie--especially since Eddie knows him well and his relation to Iris, who is writing about his other identity, or why Eddie can't say that the Flash helped them that night. So what? He wouldn't even have to say that he was working in partnership with him. I'm not even sure what help they need from Eddie, let alone help so important he had to be told who The Flash was.

Iris is the only significant person who cares who the Flash is who doesn't know. And Barry allegedly loves her and want her to be with him, yet he won't tell her something really important that could affect that. Plus, he's got everyone hiding something from her that she's bound to learn in time--and will learn everyone else knew. That's going to be hard to process. So why not tell her? How much more danger could she be in than she's already in?

It DOES parallel the SA comic. The notion that Barry didn't tell her who she was until a year after they were married was the subject of a column I did (called "Saint Barry.") That wasn't cool then, and it's not cool now. 

I could almost see it if they didn't want Eddie to know, thinking Iris would give it away somehow and Eddit wouldn't take it well. But now he knows too. I wonder how long the secret will hold?

Otherwise, I was expecting a little more progression on the key secrets, given how fast things have been moving. But this episode got bogged down in Cisco and Caitlin's alleged loyalty conflicts. It was fun to see Felicity and Ray (I still keep seeing him in his super-suit), but I hoped for more than just another Freak of the Week (although it was fun to see Walking Dead's Emily as an evil scientist).

Cisco's "visions" are a bit bizarre. I thought the notion was that he created a separate timeline, not that both futures had happened. Why isn't Iris remembering the tsunami and Barry's reveal the same way?

-- MSA

There was an episode this week? Shoot, we missed it. For whatever reason, our DVR didn't record. :(

Eddie told Joe that he and Iris hadn't had sex in two weeks, probably coinciding with the reveal. I don't believe that Iris really thought that Eddie was cheating on her since she seems fixated on his police work. Could that have been a ruse to get Barry to talk?

Also Eddie can't tell Iris that Barry is the Flash because it's not his secret to tell, it's Barry's.

Then again, if Eddie truly believes that Iris should know the truth, why doesn't he tell her? Yeah, Barry and Joe will be mad at him but they'll get over it. It's not like it's a well-guarded secret in the first place!

And is it just me or does Iris gives Eddie an ultimatum without being specific of what she wants to know and leaves before he can even respond?

And if she's staying at Joe's house, what does he think about her treatment of Eddie since Joe put him in that situation to begin with?

Richard Willis said:

I don't know why Eddie couldn't admit that he and Joe were working closely with the Flash. That wouldn't be admitting that he knew who the Flash was.

Also, Iris told him she was going to stay with her dad. Withholding sex was probably part of that but it would be worse if she was withholding sex in the same room as Eddie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service