Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Withholding information is not the same as lying.

Do you agree that Iris is more mad about not getting an exclusive rather than maintaining her relationship with Eddie? She does come across as wanting everything her way including keeping Barry "in reserve".

And she might want to get more access to the Flash since she clearly enjoys their flirty interactions!

Holy Love Triangle! Or Rectangle!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

No, I look at it a different way. Sure, she's asking the person who might give her a better answer, but that's what reporters do. She's not the one causing Eddie emotional distress -- that's Barry & Joe. They're the ones who revealed a huge secret to him and insisted he not tell his girlfriend. They could have brought him in on the investigation without revealing Barry's ID. And if Iris asked him if he were working with the Flash, he could have evaded that question with a clear conscience -- that's part of the job. But what's not part of the job is lying to her about who her best friend in the world really is. It's not Iris's fault he has that information -- it's Barry & Joe's fault. They put him in a lousy position. 

As for withholding sex until he told her what she wanted to know? I read that totally differently, too -- she knew he was lying about something. It's not a tactic, it's just simply her not being in the mood because she doesn't trust him. 

No, I think she's mad that Eddie's lying to her, not that she's not getting an exclusive. I think she's angry that she can't trust the guy she's living with. 

If I saw it as Iris being mad that he wouldn't give her an exclusive, I'd totally be on your side here. But I see it as Iris being mad because she feels like she can't trust the man she loves. (And when she finds out that EVERYONE she loves -- hell, almost everyone she knows!) has been lying to her, watch out.

As for the distinction between withholding information and lying, that really depends on the information. Barry is certainly lying -- presenting himself to Iris as a different person (and even giving her advice about Barry at one point. Everyone else is enabling that lie, however you want to characterize it. It's shady.

If they cited a specific reason to reveal the secret to Eddie I don't remember it. Possibly it was because, as Joe's partner, he works so closely with Joe that it would cause too many problems if he didn't know. I think I do remember Eddie wondering why Joe was being so secretive.

Eddie lying to Iris is a bit vague. What lie did he tell her? Did she ask him directly if he knows who the Flash is? What exactly does she think that he is hiding from her?

And remember it's the same thing that Barry and Joe have been keeping from her but longer!

But this started when Joe found out and basically ordered Barry not to tell Iris.

Philip Portelli said:

Eddie lying to Iris is a bit vague. What lie did he tell her? Did she ask him directly if he knows who the Flash is? What exactly does she think that he is hiding from her?

This always drives me crazy. The concept seems to be that you have to tell someone EVERYTHING, even if it is someone else's business, or you're "lying."

But this started when Joe found out and basically ordered Barry not to tell Iris.

Does anyone remember why Joe ordered Barry not to tell Iris? I remember him doing it but not the reason.

Oh, Barry and Joe are hardly blameless. They're the ones who mishandled this whole situation. And thanks for pointing out that Joe ordered Barry not to tell her -- that absolves Barry somewhat. And Eddie, too. 

Iris doesn't know what Eddie's hiding from her -- but she knows he's hiding something, because he's a terrible liar -- at least about something so personal that Iris has every right to know. She hasn't asked a direct question about the Flash, because she doesn't know that that's what this is about. She just knows that Eddie's hiding something, and he won't come clean about it. She only has Barry's reassurances that it's not an affair. I'm not saying that what Eddie is doing is completely wrong -- he's been put in a hard place, and has loyalties to two opposing sides. I'm just saying that Iris has every right to be mad about this, and he's the only person (out of everyone she knows) that she realizes she should be mad at.

This is only happening because Joe won't think of her as a grown-up. 

Sounds like they really want to make a soap opera, but since real soaps are failing they're disguising it as something else. Reminds me of a storyline where someone faked her own death and disappeared for many years, afraid gangsters would kill her loved ones and repeatedly insisting there was no possible way to fight them. When they finally showed up there were a total of three gangsters, and her family blew them away in a few minutes. Wasted a good chunk of her life protecting her loved ones from a gang boss with two flunkies who weren't even good shots.

It's also worth mentioning that Barry WANTS to tell Iris the truth more than anything. She's the one he wants to confide in, instead of Caitlyn or Felicity. He doesn't like it but he seems to agree with Joe's reasons.

For now.

Well, it's a CW show. Soap opera is part of the formula, definitely. 

Didn't she ask if he was working with the Flash and he said no? I could have sworn there was a point at which he actually lied to her when he came home that night, and I was puzzled as to why he did. Catching several crooks wasn't part of a big conspiracy against Wells or some other yet-unknown reason that Eddie has to be part of Team Barry/Flash. So I'm not seeing why Eddie was told and why he has to lie about Flash's help in any way. Are they afraid Iris will pump him for news about the Flash? That's on her ethics then.

Frankly, if I were him, I'd bring home a sheaf of 8 x 10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one showing some of the gruesomest murder cases lying around and let her see what's happening at the office. Demanding that a cop tell you everything about what he did all day would involve CIs, gangs, potential murderers and all kinds of mean, nasty, ugly people, and sometimes telling her what he was working on could put her in jeopardy. Either she should understand that or they're not well matched. But the Flash stuff isn't that.

-- MSA

Philip Portelli said:

Eddie told Joe that he and Iris hadn't had sex in two weeks, probably coinciding with the reveal. I don't believe that Iris really thought that Eddie was cheating on her since she seems fixated on his police work. Could that have been a ruse to get Barry to talk?

Also Eddie can't tell Iris that Barry is the Flash because it's not his secret to tell, it's Barry's.

No, I think she's mad that Eddie's lying to her, not that she's not getting an exclusive. I think she's angry that she can't trust the guy she's living with. 

If I saw it as Iris being mad that he wouldn't give her an exclusive, I'd totally be on your side here. But I see it as Iris being mad because she feels like she can't trust the man she loves. (And when she finds out that EVERYONE she loves -- hell, almost everyone she knows!) has been lying to her, watch out.

As for the distinction between withholding information and lying, that really depends on the information. Barry is certainly lying -- presenting himself to Iris as a different person (and even giving her advice about Barry at one point. Everyone else is enabling that lie, however you want to characterize it. It's shady.

I don't think Iris believes Eddie is having an affair; it's that she knows he's lying about something and she doesn't know what it is and came up with that as an obvious possibility.

Beyond that, I completely agree with Rob -- Iris is mad because she feels like she can't trust the man she loves. Granted, as a cop's daughter and a cop's girlfriend, I would think she would understand there's stuff from The Job he can't share with her, but clearly, she doesn't. Or she doesn't believe this thing is one of those things.

Oh, Barry and Joe are hardly blameless. They're the ones who mishandled this whole situation. And thanks for pointing out that Joe ordered Barry not to tell her -- that absolves Barry somewhat. And Eddie, too. 

Iris doesn't know what Eddie's hiding from her -- but she knows he's hiding something, because he's a terrible liar -- at least about something so personal that Iris has every right to know. She hasn't asked a direct question about the Flash, because she doesn't know that that's what this is about. She just knows that Eddie's hiding something, and he won't come clean about it. She only has Barry's reassurances that it's not an affair. I'm not saying that what Eddie is doing is completely wrong -- he's been put in a hard place, and has loyalties to two opposing sides. I'm just saying that Iris has every right to be mad about this, and he's the only person (out of everyone she knows) that she realizes she should be mad at.

This is only happening because Joe won't think of her as a grown-up. 

photo target.gif

Mr. Silver Age said:

Otherwise, I was expecting a little more progression on the key secrets, given how fast things have been moving. But this episode got bogged down in Cisco and Caitlin's alleged loyalty conflicts. It was fun to see Felicity and Ray (I still keep seeing him in his super-suit), but I hoped for more than just another Freak of the Week (although it was fun to see Walking Dead's Emily as an evil scientist).

I'm the opposite.  I always prefer freak of the week episodes to ones that get bogged down in the soap opera.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service