Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Philip Portelli said:

The Mist, huh? That's a shame as I always thought that James Robinson's Starman had TV show written all over it. But since DC ignores one of its greatest series as having no value (as in MOVIE MONEY) let's pick through those characters as well!

DC ignores this series?  They have collected the entire series in trades and hardcover omnibuses, plus reprinting the first 29 issues for the 3rd time in 2 softcover omnibuses.  They can't force Hollywood to make a movie.

Yes, they'll constantly reprint the series but it has no future, no "Further Adventures of..." so there's no impetus for DC to try to make it a viable project for TV, which I think would work better than a movie.

Is there a Starman in the DCnU?

Stargirl took over the cosmic rod (if that's still what it's called).

I read somewhere that Captain Cold will run a crew which will include Rory what's-his-name (Heat Wave) as a member. Wouldn't be surprised to see some other "civilian" names of the Rogues in there, too.

My vague recollection of the Hunter Zolomon Reverse Flash ties in with some of Wells' dialogue. He seems to be protecting the Flash to get him to or save him from or ensure he's there for the "Crisis" we saw in the newspaper 10 years from now. I don't assume any of this is benign. Oh, and to answer Ron's question, Zoom's civvie name was Eobard Thawne, and we've got a Det. Eddie Thawne on the show.

This series is so rife with Easter eggs, it's hard to remember them all to post them here!

Heat Wave's civilian name is Mick Rory, Cap. 

Oh yeah. For the record, it took me the whole first episode of Flash to remember Weather Wizard's civilian name. (Mark Mardon.) In my defense, it sounded like the actors were saying "Martin," plus they've changed it for The New 52 (he's Hispanic now, Marco Mardon).

But hey, I remember Len Snart, James Jesse and Sam Scudder just fine!

I saved the pilot and re-watched it today with Action Lad.  (Glad to see a genre show that I think is acceptable viewing for a 9-year old.)(If you listen real close, you can probably hear him in the background going "DAA-AA--AAD!!! I'll be 10 next month!")  I've never been able to interest him in DC characters, but he loved it.  Now we have another show to share.

Also ... "Run, Barry, Run!" still gave me goosebumps the 2nd time thru.

Geoff Johns says Flash is going to be the most superhero-y show they do. And I like that just fine!

I wonder if we'll get Scudder of McCullough for the Mirror Master. I'm guessing McCoullough, just for the differentiation. The accent will mean so much more onscreen than it ever meant on the page -- why give that up?

Tonight's villian, The Mist, was Kyle Nimbus... which, according to Wikipedia, is actually the Mist's name. But it notes that before he fought Starman, he used the name Jonathan Smythe, a much more period-appropriate name. In the 40s, I'd almost believe the last name Nimbus before I'd believe the first name Kyle. 

Oh, and Flash got a full-season pickup today! Huzzah!

I think that Wikipedia got it wrong. I don't think that the Mist's last name was Nimbus. He changed his super-villain name to Nimbus briefly in Starman #27 when his powers were temporarily augmented by both the Cosmic Rod and the Cosmic Converter Belt which he stole from David Knight.

He did so by becoming the trainer of the son of his greatest enemy. How precious!

Also, David Knight never checked the Mist's references nor studied his father's career!

Sheesh!

That was actually one of the drawbacks for me. I found there was TOO MANY Easter eggs in the pilot. It seems to have toned down a bit since then. Between Chyre (who they killed in the pilot), Simon Stagg, the reimagined villains (Weather Wizard, Multiplex, Mist and next week, Captain Cold) and the slow-mo of the dropping dishes in the pilot (a la Showcase # 4). It was a bit much. A wholly new villain would not be the end of the series. At least I would hope it wouldn't be. Unless, of course, you count Harrison Wells. I am in no hurry to see him leave. A great character in a Smallville's Lex Luthor kind of way. Also, he's a hometown boy done good for me. I grew up just down the hill from Tom Cavanagh.

I like that they made John Wesley Shipp Barry's father because, well, he is, in a way as the previous Barry Allen. I am hoping that Barry finds another love interest besides Iris. The idea of them more or less growing up in the same house, it kind of gives a slightly "incesty" vibe to any romance. Maybe that is just me though.

Captain Comics said:

This series is so rife with Easter eggs, it's hard to remember them all to post them here!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service