Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never liked Eddie anyway. So there!

I don't like Eddie as a character. But I still think that the actor playing him looks more like the Barry Allen of the comics than any other actor I can think of.

Captain Comics said:

I never liked Eddie anyway. So there!

He puts the "mar" in smarmy.

New episodes return this Tuesday April 14.

Neat episode tonight with some great character beats with the return of Felicity.

I like the TV Ray Palmer but he's not the Atom. He's "Wants-To-Be-A-More-Awkward-Tony Stark"-Man!

Some heart-stopping action here and I mean that literally!

But seriously, Iris has to grow up or go away!

Yeah, Iris is looking less and less like someone two very competent men should be in love with. We talked about this early on, but I still find Barry's attraction to her kind of incestuous, even if it isn't in the technical sense.

A return to the days when no one in their right mind would want to date Lois Lane? Will we next see an extremely annoying Mary Jane Watson?

I've got no problem with Iris taking a stand here. I have much more problem with Barry and Joe thinking she can't be told, because it will somehow make her less safe. That's not remotely the case -- she'll investigate dangerous stuff one way or another, and it would actually keep her safer if she knew Barry was the Flash. Eddie is the only one who's thinking clearly. He should demand that Barry tell her, but if he won't, Eddie should tell her himself.

This isn't a secret identity in the traditional sense. This is a concerted effort to keep Barry's ID secret from one person.

Sometimes it seems that the whole city knows Barry's secret except for Iris.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

This isn't a secret identity in the traditional sense. This is a concerted effort to keep Barry's ID secret from one person.

Perhaps an inside joke since he didn't tell her in the comics until long after they got married?

Or is there supposed to be something wrong with her?

But why does she want to know everything about Eddie's work? As a policeman's daughter, she should know that there are some things he can't talk about to her. But she believes that he's working with the Flash and she is a reporter whose beat IS the Flash.

Definite conflict of interest!

She doesn't even know that that's what she's asking about, though -- all she knows is that Eddie's lying to her face about something, Barry's assured her that it's not an affair, but beyond that. she's got nothing except his transparent lies. 

I can't wait till she finds out -- she's going to be furious at everyone, and rightfully so. 

Iris is really the one character the creative team hasn't gotten a handle on yet. You can tell by the oh-so-generic stories she covers. One had the headline "Flash Races Into Our Lives," or something like that. Tonight she said she was doing a story on "crime in Central City." That isn't a newspaper story -- that's a book topic. She needs to be treated like a talented novice reporter, not some free-floating cloud of snoop.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #28 - "The Burial" Alan Moore does a good job of mixing the lengths of his…"
9 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
28 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Another great "Kids and Gothic Tropes" cover:"
2 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot
"They could throw out everything from that lousy movie. Such a disappointment, and a departure from…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Randy Jackson's discussion League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot
"Presumably, the first thing that will differ would be no Tom Sawyer, unless he's 80-plus years…"
10 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"This story arc (25-27) was very impressive. I was never a big fan of Etrigan but he works well as a…"
10 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's Neal Adams again riffing his classic Superman #233 cover, courtesy of the Grand Comics…"
16 hours ago
Randy Jackson posted a discussion
17 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"I don't know that it's been confirmed anywhere."
18 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"Which would be odd since Steamboat had health issues during his last run with WWE."
18 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service