What a great new debut! Someone at Marvel (*cough* Mark Waid *cough*) really gets it! I stopped reading Daredevil after Kevin Smith’s run (how long has that been? 15 years ago?), and have read only a handful of issues since. I know Matt Murdock has had to deal with the fallout from the revelation of his secret identity in the years since, but Waid treats it as an effect of the 24 hour news cycle in which the average man-in-the-street may or may not believe it. Waid also reinvents the Spider-Man villain “The Spot” as a true force to be reckoned with. Don’t page ahead, though, because the last page of the main story ends with a surprise you wouldn’t want to have ruined.

Yes, there is a back-up story, but it’s every bit as good as the main story. And the art is exceptional! (Paolo Rivera on the main story, Marcos Martin on the back-up.) The description and depiction of how DD’s powers work is also very well-done in both stories. Even the LOC page (“Letters Without Fear” - Is that new?) was good, providing not only Waid’s pitch of the series, but also a tribute to long-time DD penciler Gene Colan.

No one is more surprised than I, but Marvel is still capable of producing comic books I want to read! This is the best “new number one” since… well, since Captain America a week or two back.

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ISSUE #5: Any series can have a good cover once in a while, but Daredevil is the best current example of a series that has run of good covers every single issue! #5 introduces a new villain called “The Bruiser” who wears the logos of his various employers as if sponsors of a stock car racer (without their knowledge I must assume; I can’t really imagine super-secret terrorist organizations such as A.I.M., Hydra, etc. wanting to advertise). Brian Michael Bendis could learn from Mark Waid how to write realistic dialogue. Diverse representation on the LOC page: South Africa, Brazil, the Philippines and the ever-exotic land of Iowa.
This is a phenomenal book. It's the only Marvel I'm buying right now, breaking through my self-imposed "you can't afford to follow two universes" rule just from the sheer power of its talent and style. Five issues of brilliance so far; at the moment, the only book that has the same visual panache and inventiveness is Flash.
This last issue is the first that really sold me on the book.  The notion of megacrime flying "flags of convenience" is inspired.

ISSUE #6: This issue really sucked!

Just kidding.

Why aren’t you buying this series?

Hey, don't look at me! I love this series. Mark Waid is having a lot of fun writing this book. This is one book in which, if Mark Waid said in an interview, "It's always been my dream to write this character!", I think I would actually believe him. His artists (including the one that's flying the coop with this issue...traitor!) are also incredible storytellers of very high and unique talent.

This book always gives the reader a reason to come back next month. This is a shelfer for sure...I will be buying this in hardback, in other words!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Why aren’t you buying this series?

Just read issue 6. Wow, this series just keeps getting better and better.

I thought the series started off somewhat slow, but I really liked this last storyline. 

Too late... didn't Cap guest-star in the second issue? Or was it the third?  At least it wasn't the obvious Spidey appearance!

Philip Portelli said:

Yes keep out the ........ and set up his own direction without crossovers and guest stars!

Randy Jackson said:
It's a good start.  Hopefully he'll try something other than " ......... We haven't seen them in like...six weeks."

WOW! You guys should follow this link, not only to see this moment that she's immortalized,.. but then to look at all that OTHER DD artwork that she's done!  The whole body of work is just amazing!   If I didn't know better, I'd say she was obsessed with DD!  But we know that's not the case.... I mean, she's not Crazy Mary, or anything.... (gulp) is she??!!

Alice Lynch said:

Here's a p anel from one of my art quilts I did a few years back, one of my favorite moments from the Kesel/Nord era: Foggy flips out.

Thank you for asking, Phillip.  I wasn't tracking it either, but now that I do, I assume that's all correct.

Nice to see so many Doctor Who fans on board here.    I never thought of Matt as being ginger, but I never have noticed Ginger in hair color before Eleven commented on it.

Alan M. said:

Philip Portelli said:
I'm sorry to say it and will probably regret it but......"What?"

Rex Is Not Your Lawyer

(I'm assuming is the reference)

And wow...yeah, I read the newest issue today. I really hope the art stays in the same tone that it has. It's such a part of the story. It's right there with Flash, O.M.A.C., and the various artists that have been featured on Secret Avengers--the artwork and design are almost one of the characters!

Nope, Crazy Mary is my sister. (wink) Thanks for the compliment. I did this series of art quilts for the 40th anniversary of the title. Don't know if I'll do more, but would like to add to it for the 50th anniversary if I can.

Kirk G said:

WOW! You guys should follow this link, not only to see this moment that she's immortalized,.. but then to look at all that OTHER DD artwork that she's done!  The whole body of work is just amazing!   If I didn't know better, I'd say she was obsessed with DD!  But we know that's not the case.... I mean, she's not Crazy Mary, or anything.... (gulp) is she??!!

Alice Lynch said:

Here's a p anel from one of my art quilts I did a few years back, one of my favorite moments from the Kesel/Nord era: Foggy flips out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service