What a great new debut! Someone at Marvel (*cough* Mark Waid *cough*) really gets it! I stopped reading Daredevil after Kevin Smith’s run (how long has that been? 15 years ago?), and have read only a handful of issues since. I know Matt Murdock has had to deal with the fallout from the revelation of his secret identity in the years since, but Waid treats it as an effect of the 24 hour news cycle in which the average man-in-the-street may or may not believe it. Waid also reinvents the Spider-Man villain “The Spot” as a true force to be reckoned with. Don’t page ahead, though, because the last page of the main story ends with a surprise you wouldn’t want to have ruined.

Yes, there is a back-up story, but it’s every bit as good as the main story. And the art is exceptional! (Paolo Rivera on the main story, Marcos Martin on the back-up.) The description and depiction of how DD’s powers work is also very well-done in both stories. Even the LOC page (“Letters Without Fear” - Is that new?) was good, providing not only Waid’s pitch of the series, but also a tribute to long-time DD penciler Gene Colan.

No one is more surprised than I, but Marvel is still capable of producing comic books I want to read! This is the best “new number one” since… well, since Captain America a week or two back.

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really have enjoyed it. The very first issue was alright but I figured I'd stick with it. I'm glad I did.

Out of curiosity, what's the other Marvel title?

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Anybody still reading this?

I am, it is one of 2 regular Marvel series I am reading now. It has been a really good read, consistently.

Oh, yes, I'm still on board. Waid did the kind of thing I like -- he gave us an old "friend" from Matt's past that we've never heard of, but it worked because he's the kind of person you DON'T want to remember. 

Young Avengers is the other one.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I really have enjoyed it. The very first issue was alright but I figured I'd stick with it. I'm glad I did.

Out of curiosity, what's the other Marvel title?

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Anybody still reading this?

I am, it is one of 2 regular Marvel series I am reading now. It has been a really good read, consistently.

I second the nod on both DD and Young Avengers.  I'm enjoying All New (young) xmen as well, but they changed artists this last issue, and I hope its just a fill-in, cause it REALLY changed the feel of the whole book!

Agreed. While I enjoyed David LaFluente's art on this particular issue, I couldn't imagine most of the previous issues drawn that way and still holding the same weight. I'm a huge fan of what Stuart Immonen has done with this title.

Kirk G said:

I second the nod on both DD and Young Avengers.  I'm enjoying All New (young) xmen as well, but they changed artists this last issue, and I hope its just a fill-in, cause it REALLY changed the feel of the whole book!

Back to Daredevil, has anyone read the one that came out today? I haven't yet, but I'm pretty excited about it. Leafing through it, it looks fun.

I got it earlier today, and enjoyed it very much. Like I noted here, Waid lets Matt have fun with being a superhero, and getting to do cool things that no one else can do. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service