The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember that book! I actually remember not liking it all that well, even if it was drawn by Norm Breyfogle. It was fun seeing Breyfogle draw Flash, but that's just about all I remember about it.

I remember that it existed but I didn't read it.

I have not read Flashpoint #5. I'm waiting for ComiXology to have a sale on that series.

JeffCarter said:
I remember that book! I actually remember not liking it all that well, even if it was drawn by Norm Breyfogle. It was fun seeing Breyfogle draw Flash, but that's just about all I remember about it.

That's pretty much where my recollection is at as well. Actually, I seem to remember it ending abruptly, too. Or maybe I just never got issue 3....
I think I've seen one or two mentions of the earlier Flashpoint, but not too many. I thought it was a pretty cool series, IIRC -- and it gave us a rare view of Barry for the time!

I read FP #5 last night, and was disappointed.

Having lost interest in the flash after the stuttering "Flash Reborn" series, I had planned to skip this mini, and it's orbiting alternate world minis, but -- like a lot of readers, I imagine -- when I learned this was going to be the catalyst for the New DCU, I figured this was a big deal.

Boy, was I wrong.

First, we get a just average story from Geoff Johns, and oddly out-of-tune work from Andy (or maybe it was Adam?) Kubert. Both guys are capable of, and have done, much better work.

Second, the final issue ends -- almost literally -- with a Bobby-Ewing-in-shower-esque moment (after a bizarro supers-peed breakdance routine from the Flash (nicely skewered over here). The tiny little bit of emotional impact the finale holds is totally undercut because Flash and Batman are now in the their New DCU togs, with no real explanation as to how it actually happened (I kept waiting for Batman to tell Flash he had something on his chin). Seriosuly -- for those who have read it, imagine the two characters in their "classic" costumes. It's like nothing happened. Literally.

Not as awful as "Coutdown", but better than, say, "Genesis".

At least Dr. Light didn't violate anyone on the JLA Satellite.

DneColt said:
 It's like nothing happened.

From the new DCU's Batman's perspective, nothing did happen.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

It may have been him referring to himself in the 3rd person, like Alan mention, that annoyed me the most.

Cavaliere (moderator) said:
I'm rarely a fan of Hal Jordan (or, for that matter, Tony Stark) as a person. Hal and Tony are both great characters but they aren't people that I like. Hal seemed in-character to me, especially considering that it's a younger Hal then we've been reading for decades.
The third person thing was pretty annoying. Also, when he tells Batman "Note to self," he actually means "Note to Batman." It's possible that Hal doesn't even know who he is!
Reviews of 7 of the new 52 You may have already seen this. Newsarama got their hands on 7 of the new titles. For the most part they give them good reviews. I'm happy to see a good review for the new Green Arrow series. I was leary of JT Krul still on the title but this seems to be such a departure from the Ollie we know so it could be fun. Actually GA as a James Bond  meets Steve Jobs type sounds good to me.
I liked this "Odd Couple" Batman and GL show.  The only thing that is important from Flashpoint is the new, mysterious hooded woman who tells Barry that the universe was split into three long ago (DCU, Vertigo, and Wildstorm) in order to weaken it for "their arrival".  When Barry fixes everything, the three pieces are one universe again.  This hooded woman will appear in various places in the new #1's.  She was even in Justice League #1 if you know where to look for her.
I missed her in Justice League. I'll have to look again!

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:
I liked this "Odd Couple" Batman and GL show.  The only thing that is important from Flashpoint is the new, mysterious hooded woman who tells Barry that the universe was split into three long ago (DCU, Vertigo, and Wildstorm) in order to weaken it for "their arrival".  When Barry fixes everything, the three pieces are one universe again.  This hooded woman will appear in various places in the new #1's.  She was even in Justice League #1 if you know where to look for her.
I'll help...stick to the Vic pages.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service