The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finishing up my grades on the first batch, this time with some comments.

Stormwatch - B It's a pretty solid title. I liked that J'Onn is either on this team and in the League or at least has been in the League. I'm not a fan of, well, any prior version of Stormwatch but this book has my attention.

Swamp Thing - B I still don't care very much about Alec Holland or Swamp Thing but there was good characterization and I'm interested in the mysteries presented.

Static Shock - B Virgil's a likable kid, something hard to pull off when the kid is also a genius. (See: Wesley Crusher) I liked that Hardware guest-starred. Good story, good art. Looking forward to #2.

OMAC - C This book would receive a B except for the art style. Giffen and Koblish do a good job but they're doing a good job of aping Kirby. I know I'm breaking fanboy law every time I type this but I'm not a fan of Kirby's art. I recognize the talent without liking the style. The story is interesting. I don't know if I'm just having a stupid day but it never occurred to me that the voice was Brother Eye. Pretty obvious in retrospect but it went right over my head. I was hoping that Kevin wouldn't be OMAC since that was so obvious but oh, well.

Last but not least, Men of War - "Joseph Rock" C+, "Navy SEALs Human Shields" B+ Overall, pretty good. The first story surprised me by having metahuman involvement. It was good but lost points for an art style I don't care for and a really bad color scheme. The second story was better for me in most respects. It reminds me of The Unit, a TV show Jenn and I enjoyed.

I picked up 6 of the new DC titles. I was only going to get 3 but decided to try a few more. I got Action Comics, Stormwatch, Green Arrow, Detective Comics, Justice League International, and Animal Man. I've read all except JLI. Once I'll do I'll post thoughts. I'll say that for the most part they were good. Not all will make the cut though.

As far as this week's round of DCnU, here's my thoughts on what I read:

Action Comics #1- Love the art. Grant Morrison does a good job here. Sometimes I feel his writing is over my head, not here. I wasn't blown away with this issue like some but I do like the set up. I think it's a good take on Superman in our modern world. It makes the cut.

Green Arrow #1- I was looking forward to this one. I found it to be very fun. I like this new setup for Ollie, it works really well. I like that he's got a support team and that he uses all sorts of arrows but he seems to know how to fight as well. I'd like to see him take on some better villains though. The ones he fought were tough but not that smart. It makes the cut.

Detective Comics #1- I wasn't planning on getting this but it was a slow week for me. I told my LCS owner, the illustrious Dagwan, give me two recommendations. This was good. Sort of like Batman meets Seven. I'm curious to see what the Joker is up to. It makes the cut.

Stormwatch #1- This was one I was looking forward to. I liked what Paul Cornell did on Captain Britain & MI:13 but this didn't work for me. A lot of characters that I don't really know, not sure what their powers are. I think it's a good concept but it didn't click with me. It's out.

Justice League Internation #1- Another Dagwan recommendation. While it was entertaining, I don't think it's for me. Batman's characterization seemed off to me. Then again, I do remember him initially liking Booster in the original JLI. Rocket Red and August General in Iron's bickering got old. I don't think I'll following.

Animal Man #1- I picked this one up to try something completley different. The art took a bit to grow on me. However the story and Animal Man himself was interesting. I just don't know if I want to keep with it. It seemed at times to be weird for weirdness's sake. The jury's out on this one.

Upon thinking about last week's Justice League, I've decided I like it. It was extremely decompressed for even Johns but it was still fun.

My list of continuing pick ups of the new batch:

• Action-  Without a doubt, my favorite of the bunch.
  • StormWatch- Though it has its flaws ("Eminence of Blades" as a code name?  Really?), I like the set up and I like the characters.  
  • Justice League- Thought I thought this first issue was highly flawed in pacing, I'm a sucker for a good team book, so I'll see where this leads.
  • Green Arrow-  Arrow was so botched up in recent years in the last incarnation that I'm eager to see him rehabilitated. The only danger I see in this version is that he could return to his "Green Batman" roots with his reliance on tech and money.

Probable short term pick ups:

• Swamp Thing:  It appears they are undoing "The Anatomy Lesson."  I don't mind...as long as it's good.  I'll probably stick it out long enough to see if the character is completely turning over a new leaf, but I doubt I'll be around much after that.
  • Detective: I'll admit they piqued my curiosity with that last page.  I'm wondering if they'll be putting a new face on the relationship between Batman and the Joker.   I'm not a big Batman fan, so even if they don't, it's no skin off my nose.
  • Batgirl:  I loved BoP, so I want to see if this revamp of Babs has legs.

Swamp Thing:  It appears they are undoing "The Anatomy Lesson."  I don't mind...as long as it's good.  I'll probably stick it out long enough to see if the character is completely turning over a new leaf, but I doubt I'll be around much after that.

Detective: I'll admit they piqued my curiosity with that last page.  I'm wondering if they'll be putting a new face on the relationship between Batman and the Joker.   I'm not a big Batman fan, so even if they don't, it's no skin off my nose.

Batgirl:  I loved BoP, so I want to see if this revamp of Babs has legs.

Very punny, Rich.

One can only try.

The Baron said:

Very punny, Rich.

Let me guess, the colorist didn't use enough brown?

I completely agree with you on the color scheme, and I've seen better (and worse) art from Tom Derenick.

Cavaliere (moderator) said:

Men of War - "Joseph Rock" C+, ...It was good but lost points for an art style I don't care for and a really bad color scheme.

Same here.  I ordered 3, but decided to get a few extra.  For the record, I ordered JLI, Static and Stormwatch.  I picked up Action and Hawk & Dove.  And I hope I have Batgirl and Swamp Thing on the way as they sold out in town.

Jason Marconnet said:

I picked up 6 of the new DC titles. I was only going to get 3 but decided to try a few more. I got Action Comics, Stormwatch, Green Arrow, Detective Comics, Justice League International, and Animal Man. I've read all except JLI. Once I'll do I'll post thoughts. I'll say that for the most part they were good. Not all will make the cut though.

I ordered 39 out of the 52 but due to my work schedule, the hurricanes, Labor Day and now the 9/11 ceremonies/high alert status, I hope to get to my LCS by Monday or Tuesday!
CBR had an interesting survey over the 13 issues released last week. Unless I missed it, I think they should have included Justice League #1 in the survey, since it was the first release of the new DC.

Well so far the only comic of the new DCU was Men of War. I think the story, what we go got, was decent. The problem was the art. I run hot and cold on Derenick's art, and I didn't care for it to much here. If you are doing non-super hero comic you really need to try and make each character distinct, and he didn't always do that. Plus, that coloring was doing anyone any favors. Gray on brown? Finally, my last complaint on this, is that Rock as a character wasn't very compelling either. It was only the first issue, and since I already filled out my Previews I am committed to at least 2 more issue.

Now the art on the back-up was great, and the story i thought just as good as the main one.

Bleeding Cool tried to do something similar with a Marvel reader but CBR's attempt works a lot better. 

Jason Marconnet said:
CBR had an interesting survey over the 13 issues released last week. Unless I missed it, I think they should have included Justice League #1 in the survey, since it was the first release of the new DC.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service