The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, that's disappointing. Much of the reason I tried it was his association with it. (Though I loved the early Milestone issues way back when!)
And the creators begin to drop already!
David Finch isn't listed as a writer with the Dark Knight series as of issue 4 either.

Philip Portelli said:
So far this week's releases have been right on the money for me. I've only read two of the new 52- Demon Knights and Green Lantern. Both are excellent!
I like the fact that it appears that Hal Jordan's exile won't be interminably long.  We've been down that road before, and I always find it a yawn.  I am interested in Sinestro as a GL, and I don't mind that being explored for a while though.

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:
He had said that, beyond some dialogue tweaks, he didn't really do much with the book.  He was hoping to be more involved with the writing by the fourth issue.  That didn't work out, I guess.

Eh? Was he the writer or wasn't he?

Cav - People with red hair tend to have very pale skin. And I think it's been established that Kate Kane hasn't exactly been a sun-worshipping beach bunny for the last few years...

I love her white skin. It's very distinctive, setting her apart from her by-the-numbers sisters, and accentuates the nocturnal aspects of her chosen animal-totem.

Cav said:

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.... The best part was when it ended

Ouch!

To elaborate a bit, if I may, DC wants quick, profitable results on a lot of characters that haven't been too successful. There does not appear to be any longterm plans, no crossover event on the horizon (which may be a good thing!) but it puts an awful lot of stress on creative people who tend to want to build up a story (trained in this HC/TPB era*) to move fast and perhaps recklessly.

Combined that with the fact that we know there's a second wave of new titles to replace the stillborn ones, it may be too much pressure for some to handle!

*As an afterthought, how about calling this era The Collected Age?

Travis Herrick said:

David Finch isn't listed as a writer with the Dark Knight series as of issue 4 either.

Philip Portelli said:

There does not appear to be any longterm plans, no crossover event on the horizon (which may be a good thing!) but it puts an awful lot of stress on creative people who tend to want to build up a story (trained in this HC/TPB era*) to move fast and perhaps recklessly.

I dunno.  What you are describing is the old pulp/comicbook requirement to hook your readers early with engaging characters, plotting and concepts, and keep them on board for as long as possible.  That's entertainment!

The fanboy rump, guaranteed to (and conditioned to) stick with certain dull stories, awaiting some payoff down the line, such as a crossover or a big character beat, have decreased the need for those Gee Whiz Wow! rock-em sock-em ideas and concepts and story moments in THIS COMIC THAT I'M READING NOW!!!

If DC are serious about reaching out to new readers, who aren't so conditioned, and who expect to be entertained by the comic in their hand, not some payoff down the line, then a bit of pressure on the creators to produce the goods early on and keep producing it in each issue is no bad thing.

It's too late and I'm too tired to do even capsule reviews, so I'll just group this week's #1s by the likelihood I'll buy them again next month:

DEFINITELY:

Batwoman

Demon Knights

Green Lantern

Mister Terrific

Resurrection Man

MAYBE, MAYBE NOT:

Batman and Robin

Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE

Legion Lost

NO, JUST...NO:

Deathstroke

Grifter (the biggest disappointment)

Red Lanterns

Suicide Squad (15 minutes I'll never get back)

Fair play to everyone who gave Suicide Squad a chance to prove itself, but it kinda advertised on the cover months in advance that it would be rubbish...

I read Red Lanterns last night then read some of my Marvel books. Red Lanterns, sigh, was not what I was hoping for. I'm a person who likes the Red Lanterns and their leader and his cat. The book started out promising enough with Atroticus and Dexstar killing some mean aliens. The two-page spread of Dextar was awesome. Then Atroticus throwing out the line "what are you doing to my cat?" was great. After that is goes down hill. We get backstory on Atroticus and all of his woes. The rest of the Red Lanterns are mindless balls of rage without much room for independent thought.

I don't want to drop it outright because it could become something I like. But this first issue didn't work for me. I guess it's interesting that Atroticus is questioning his motives now that Krona, his sole purpose in life, is now dead and not by his hands. However, the way it is presented, it's just boring. There's an interesting side story that I'm sure will be the focus later one about two brothers on earth.

Atrocitus and Sinestro are definitely the most interesting members of their respective corps. The rest of the Red and Yellow Lanterns really are little more than monsters. What's interesting is watching them try to rein in the subordinates. Of course, it's that much harder for Sinestro now since he's wearing the "wrong" color.

"Cav - People with red hair tend to have very pale skin."

I used to have red hair. (I used to have hair.) So, I know all about the pale skin. This is beyond pale, though. It's bloodless.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service