The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The preview of Action Comics #1 (at Newsarama) looks fantastic. Gorgeous art, and a brash, reckless, idealistic Superman! It looks like exactly what I was hoping for.
Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:
I'll help...stick to the Vic pages.

Also on the Vic pages, look closely at the chalk board.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

I read it.  First single issue comic I have read in many a moon. 

I agree with the pacing issue.  It began and ended too quickly.  And it really did not tell us anything.  What it is is very pretty. 

I also do not like the Green Lantern.  He is more like the movie version.  And I did not like the movie version. 

Also, Green Lantern says that Batman is not a super human.  But Batman is super intelligent.  He is able to discern things based on their appearance.  But how he is presented he is nothing more than that Mentalist guy on television. 

I will keep reading to see where it is going, but man I wish they would tell the story in three issues instead of six.

It occurs to me -- in the 6 months it'll take to tell this story, we're bound to see a lot of the present-day JLA in third-person (via other people's books) before we get a chance to see them in 1st person in their own. I wonder how well that approach will play out. It might give them an air of grandeur that we might not feel if we were directly inside their heads, but it might also make them seem a lot less central to the DCU than they should be.
Yeah, the decompressed story here really works against the supposed accessibility the reboot was intended to facilitate. 

Mike Parnell said:

I read it.  First single issue comic I have read in many a moon. 

I agree with the pacing issue.  It began and ended too quickly.  And it really did not tell us anything.  What it is is very pretty. 

I also do not like the Green Lantern.  He is more like the movie version.  And I did not like the movie version. 

Also, Green Lantern says that Batman is not a super human.  But Batman is super intelligent.  He is able to discern things based on their appearance.  But how he is presented he is nothing more than that Mentalist guy on television. 

I will keep reading to see where it is going, but man I wish they would tell the story in three issues instead of six.

The "note to self" comment irked me extensively.  Either Johns sounds like an idiot for not knowing how the phrase is used or he intended to make Hal sound like an idiot.

Either way, someone sounds idiotic.

Rob Staeger said:

The third person thing was pretty annoying. Also, when he tells Batman "Note to self," he actually means "Note to Batman." It's possible that Hal doesn't even know who he is!
The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

My opinion is almost exactly the same as yours, except you give it a higher grade. I give it three stars tops, and on a letter scale, it earns a good, solid C. C means "average," and Justice League #1 is a very average book. Not that there's anything wrong with that; on a true scale, most comics would, by definition, be average.

Why? 

This isn't a "watch them squirm question."  I really want to know why.  Cyborg is one of the blandest of the bland heroes to me.  He's not terrible visually impressive, and he's got a backstory that was phoned in (daddy issues with the guy who saved his life.  Feels like he's an outsider). He's a cipher.

I'm not saying they can't do good things with him.  To the contrary, being a cipher works in his favor in that regard.  But why the love before that happens?

The Baron said:

If nothing else, I'm glad to see Vic get bumped up to the big leagues.  I hope he gets a solo series of his own at some point. I'd at least give that one a try.

For the record (and so I don't come off completely as a jerk), "I remember Teen Titans affectionately from my childhood and love all the characters in it" is a perfectly acceptable response.

Rich Lane said:

Why? 

This isn't a "watch them squirm question."  I really want to know why.  Cyborg is one of the blandest of the bland heroes to me.  He's not terrible visually impressive, and he's got a backstory that was phoned in (daddy issues with the guy who saved his life.  Feels like he's an outsider). He's a cipher.

I'm not saying they can't do good things with him.  To the contrary, being a cipher works in his favor in that regard.  But why the love before that happens?

The Baron said:

If nothing else, I'm glad to see Vic get bumped up to the big leagues.  I hope he gets a solo series of his own at some point. I'd at least give that one a try.

Well, "Daddy issues with the man who saved his life" isn't entirely it -- it's "Daddy issues with the man who unleashed the thing that early killed him, and then saved his life."

But the thing I like about Vic is that he grew beyond that. His father eventually passed on, Vic made his peace with him, and with himself and his new body. He moved on from the Angry! Vic! Stone! that we met, and yet he still had that angry period in his history. There are a lot of characters in a similar situation to his who don't make the adjustment so smoothly, or tend to backslide at the whims of a new writer. But  -- if you'll pardon the pun -- Victor matured. Which I like. 

Vic matured..... :-)
I've always liked Vic as a character - I never found him "bland".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service