The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Figserello said:
Vic matured..... :-)

Heh, heh...
I gotta admit - even though I didn't approve of yet another revamp of DC's continuity, and am still  pessimistic about how it's all going to come out, I'm still more eager to see the new books tomorrow than I have been in a long time.

It looks to me like they've already made a misstep with the portrayal of Victor.  We learn in the 1st issue that Batman, Hal Jordan and Supes, at least, are all established as superheroes, of varying levels of competancy, when the Justice League is formed, but Victor is just a whining kid, still a civilian, when it kicks off.

If DC were serious about addressing the representation issue, they should have thought that through a bit more.  So the only black member is a johnny-come-lately that will need the guidance and help of the benevolent white members who are already 'in the club' to establish himself?  Ouch!

I don't see him overcoming his 'junior' status for several storylines, at least.  Let's hope no-one refers to him as 'Boy' in the meantime. 

Consider that Victor is essentially replacing Martian Manhunter as 'member without his own book' and recall how powerful, central and respected J'onn was to the team, despite not having his own book.  He was actually indispensible in the  JLA as the glue that allowed the team to communicate with each other psychically and work well together without tedious arguments.  Maybe Victor is heading for a place like that, but they've started from a pretty dumb place as the team 'junior' and it will look bad for a considerable time.

It'll certainly look bad for the duration of the current media spotlight on the DCnU.

Y'know, I've read the issue twice (so far) and I don't remember Vic whining at all. He was, if anything, stoic.
I was just going by that one panel I saw on a review.  Him on the phone trying to make his Dad understand that he was hurting deeply, not that Dad cared, or ever had.  Poor Vic.

Wow, Figs, that's a lot of conclusion and extrapolation to draw out of one panel. :P

I've now read the first Justice League issue about a half-dozen times; I keep trying to make sense of it — why pretty much everyone else on the internet seems to, if not LOVE it, then at least really like it, while I....very much don't.

If anything, my re-reads keep having me find more things that just don't read well. My latest, and current favorite:

So Batman waits until they've gotten to Metropolis to express credulity that Green Lantern used a glowing green jet as their decidedly un-subtle means of transit from Gotham. It makes me REALLY want to see the scenes of GL getting Batman into the jet (did Bats not notice? did GL reshape it once he had Bats inside?), as well as of their probably stilted, awkward conversation as they flew — at apparently normal jet speeds, given that their flight behavior over Vic's high school seemed standard.

As far as JL #1 goes, I stand by my initial "Meh".
I'm not going to have my copies of today's releases until this evening. Things from Another World in Beaverton is having a release party with Justice League International artist Aaron Lopresti. I went to his first signing there many years ago when his only big credit was a done-in-one Spider-Man story in Marvel Comics Presents.

Cool. I hope to get mine over my lunch hour. That, and I got to put some gas in the TAURUS*.

*Stands for "This Auto Usually Requires Unscheduled Service"

Alan M. said:

If anything, my re-reads keep having me find more things that just don't read well. My latest, and current favorite:

So Batman waits until they've gotten to Metropolis to express credulity that Green Lantern used a glowing green jet as their decidedly un-subtle means of transit from Gotham. It makes me REALLY want to see the scenes of GL getting Batman into the jet (did Bats not notice? did GL reshape it once he had Bats inside?), as well as of their probably stilted, awkward conversation as they flew — at apparently normal jet speeds, given that their flight behavior over Vic's high school seemed standard.

And after that, do we get the scene where Green Lantern kicks Batman's ass just for being such an smurfhole? I'd pay good, cash money to see THAT.

Consider that Victor is essentially replacing Martian Manhunter as 'member without his own book' and recall how powerful, central and respected J'onn was to the team, despite not having his own book. He was actually indispensible in the JLA as the glue that allowed the team to communicate with each other psychically and work well together without tedious arguments.

That’s my objection to using Cyborg instead of Martian Manhunter. The Manhunter had been a founding member and integral to the team early on, but he became even more important later on.

As far as JL #1 goes, I stand by my initial "Meh".

And I stand by my initial “average” rating.
As opposed to the far more subtle Bat-Plane!

Alan M. said:

Wow, Figs, that's a lot of conclusion and extrapolation to draw out of one panel. :P

I've now read the first Justice League issue about a half-dozen times; I keep trying to make sense of it — why pretty much everyone else on the internet seems to, if not LOVE it, then at least really like it, while I....very much don't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service