The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been saying that for years! I liked it when Raven would call him Richard.

Chris Fluit said:

Nightwing -- Good, but not great. I like the tie-in to what was happening over in Batman. Nice new threads. And can't we call him Richard or Rick?  Just sayin'.

You're right.  This would have been the perfect time for people to start calling him Rick. 

There are people in reality named Richard who go by the name Dick.  Though I prefer "Rich" or "Ricardo," I really don't see anything wrong with it when it's not being used as an insult.

And this is coming from a guy whose father was also named Richard, and we were called "Big Dick" and "Little Dick" by my grandparents for nearly two decades.

Chris Fluit said:

Nightwing -- Good, but not great. I like the tie-in to what was happening over in Batman. Nice new threads. And can't we call him Richard or Rick?  Just sayin'.

You're right.  This would have been the perfect time for people to start calling him Rick. 

Which one was which?

:P

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

The only Dick I know is Cheney. Are there others?

There's Dick van Dyke, Dick Wolf, Dick Butkus, Dick Sargent and Dick York, for starters ...
Dick Vermeil.

Dick Clarke

Dick van Patten

Dick Smothers

Dick Durock (the actor who played Swamp Thing)

Dick Gregory

and a bunch of others.

Are there any under 70?

-- MSA

What about Dick Tracy? (okay, fiction, and possibly short for detective...but still...)

Dick Williams

Dick Cavett

Well, Dick Grayson isn't under 70 either.

Thankfully, they didn't change Bruce's first name back in the 70s when it was considered "unmanly" (David Banner).

Names go in and out of style, and there's no telling if the name you pick today will become a joke in ten years.   The book Freakonomics  has a chapter dealing with the rise and fall of popular names that puts it all in perspective.

Yeah, he could have been called Sh'Thead Grayson.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service