The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As opposed to the far more subtle Bat-Plane!

"You took my advice about theatricality a bit … literally." --  Ra's al Ghul, Batman Begins

SPOILER for Stormwatch #1.

Apparently the reboot doesn't remove him from the JLA history.  According to J'onn here, he works with the JLA when he needs to be a hero, and with Stormwatch when he needs to be "a warrior."

Does the  rebooted Stormwatch seem a bit like Marvel's The Shield now?

It sounds like the Post-Crisis Superman #1 where a whole lot had happened that we knew nothing about!

Quick reactions:

Action Comics: My favorite so far. Just amazing.

Batgirl: Very well done superhero book -- I'm actually more intrigued by Mirror than I'm curious about how Barbara is walking again.

Static: A good superhero book. Seems a bit generic to me, so it won't likely make the cut. But I'll keep an eye out for good reviews.

Batwing: Very interesting first issue -- liked the ID of one of the murder victims, and really liked the character of Batwing himself. The art's really good looking, but it's not a style I care for on the whole -- I like black lines on paper. But this is definitely a contender.

Men of War: Very interesting lead story, and I liked the backup even more. I want to see where this goes.

Haven't yet read OMAC or Swamp Thing, but I have high hopes for both.

Action is indeed just about as good as I'd hoped it would be.  This is most interested I've been in Superman in a long, long time.

Rob Staeger said:

Quick reactions:

Action Comics: My favorite so far. Just amazing.

Batgirl: Very well done superhero book -- I'm actually more intrigued by Mirror than I'm curious about how Barbara is walking again.

Static: A good superhero book. Seems a bit generic to me, so it won't likely make the cut. But I'll keep an eye out for good reviews.

Batwing: Very interesting first issue -- liked the ID of one of the murder victims, and really liked the character of Batwing himself. The art's really good looking, but it's not a style I care for on the whole -- I like black lines on paper. But this is definitely a contender.

Men of War: Very interesting lead story, and I liked the backup even more. I want to see where this goes.

Haven't yet read OMAC or Swamp Thing, but I have high hopes for both.

Is Barbara Gordon walking again, or is it that she was never crippled in the New 52?

Rob, I bought both OMAC and Swamp Thing, too, but haven't read them yet, either.

The Killing Joke happened and she was in a wheelchair for a time...but she's walking now.
Jeff of Earth-J said:

Is Barbara Gordon walking again, or is it that she was never crippled in the New 52?

Never mind. (I posted that that before I read Bob's review of Batgirl #1).

I haven't finished reading this week's releases but here's my grades for what I have read thus far. (I'll comment later.)

Justice League International - A

Action Comics - D

Green Arrow - C+/B-

Batwing - B

Hawk & Dove - C

Animal Man - A

Detective Comics - C

Batgirl - A-

My thoughts on this week's crop:

Action Comics: Loved it.  This is a Superman I want to read about.  I like the idea of Clark and Lois working on competing papers.  The art was solid, although there were a couple of times Supes looked to have a very slim waste, but that's just nitpicking.  I was expecting this to be good and it didn't disappoint.

Stormwatch: I haven't really had much exposure to Stormwatch or The Authority before, so this is one I can really put myself into the new reader's shoes.  Sadly, I found it a little disappointing.  It jumped around a little bit much for my taste and I didn't feel the character introductions were done very well; they were all named, but I didn't really get a feel for them.  I thought J'onn was portrayed well and Apollo and Midnighter were intriguing.  It was good enough that I'll try another issue but it didn't blow me away.

Detective Comics: The art was really impressive and the characterization was done well, however, it had too much of a slasher flick vibe for me.  Probably a good market for DC to target, but not my cup of tea.

Batgirl: Decent storytelling and art and spot on Simone characterization, as always, but it just seemed to be missing something.  Thought the part with the motorcycle was kind of stupid.  I liked the part with the wheelchair lift and the implication that we're going to see an adjustment process instead of just a hand wave.  Kind of tentative on this one but I'll probably pick up the next one.

OMAC: I wasn't planning on going near this one with a ten foot pole but I enjoyed the heck out of it.  Biggest positive surprise so far.

Green Arrow:  DC might have a problem with this one.  I've never liked Green Arrow and I enjoyed this comic, so people that like the character are probably pissed.  Oh well, sorry 'bout their luck.  I enjoyed this globetrotting, spy-like take on Green Arrow.  (Although I did find it kind of funny how they made a big deal out of him multi-tasking and then he doesn't multi-task.)  I'll be back for the next issue.

Hawk and Dove: A comic I didn't expect to like and it lived down to and even exceeded my expectations.  I've never been a big Liefeld art fan but I did expect better from Sterling Gates.  The Deadman/Dove conversation instead of being intriguing, made me want to groan.  Yeah... I won't be picking up any more of this series.  BTW, I thought Liefeld's thing was that he didn't draw feet, what's with all the open mouths?

Men of War: I was expecting this one to be forgettable at best but I really enjoyed it.  I liked the way they did the super hero "interaction".  Not sure how people that "don't want super heroes" will feel about it but I'll be back for the next issue.  I thought the backup was quite a bit weaker than the lead and I kind of hope they rotate it with other features, but I am glad they had it.

Justice League International: The new 52's nostalgia series.  I liked how it started out, nothing new there but still enjoyable, funny thing is, I thought it slowed down when they got to the part where they were fighting stuff.  Overall, I'm a little disappointed.  I'll still pick up the next issue but it's not automatically going on my pull like I thought it would be.  I wonder if the kids planting the bomb will be tied into Firestorm somehow?

Batwing: Another one I wasn't expecting much out of but wound up being pleasantly surprised.  I liked the art, the setting, and the situation setup.  I was dubious about just sticking a Batman in Africa but I like the undertones of adapting a franchise, (more in the real world business sense), to a new and different market.  Throw in some villains and conflicts you wouldn't see in North America and it has me intrigued.  I'm sticking around for this one.

Static Shock: I'd have to say this one was my biggest disappointment.  This is another case where I'm not as familiar with the character, so I'm approaching it more like a new reader, and I had trouble following it.  I don't know if McDaniel wasn't able to convey what Rozum wrote or if they were just trying to stick too much in, but this one was a mess.  It's hard to follow what's going on with the art, to the point where it seems like the dialogue is trying to make up for it.  I get the impression I missed something in the family dynamics that I was supposed to pick up on.  There's a panel referencing some funny looks he received on a previous page that I didn't even realize had anything to do with him until the dialogue brought it up.  It seemed very concerned with past continuity, not on a fresh start.  I'd been planning on following this series, but not after this issue.

Animal Man: A lot of people are going to like this series.  The art is different and the family is well portrayed.  Not really something for me though.

Swamp Thing: I've never really been a big Swamp Thing fan, so this one had an uphill climb with me; it succeeded in spades.  The art is gorgeous.  Alec Holland is simply put, a fully fleshed out human.  The foreshadowing and suspensive build is every bit as good as Snyder's other work.  One little nit to pick, a good flower shop wouldn't use a machine to cut the stems like that as the flowers would die quicker.  (It's funny what compromises someone's suspension of disbelief. :))  Also, I find it kind of interesting that this issue is bringing up the death of Superman almost immediately.  Regardless, I'll definitely be following this series.

Overall, I think this relaunch is starting really strong.  The average quality seems quite a bit higher than what DCs been putting out recently and lots of things were much better than I was expecting.  Obviously, not all the comics were to my taste and some things could have been done better but there were only two comics that I thought were written badly.  Definitely a good start.

Wow, BM! "In for a penny, in for a pound," eh? Good for you! Initially I'm trying relatively few, but I'm keeping a close eye on whay everyone here has to say about the others as well. Are you going to be trying all 52?
Wow, BM! "In for a penny, in for a pound," eh? Good for you! Initially I'm trying relatively few, but I'm keeping a close eye on whay everyone here has to say about the others as well. Are you going to be trying all 52?
Yup, I'm going to try the first issue of each one.  Planning on getting back to the 15-16 range come October but if the quality holds up, I'm expecting some hard cuts.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service