The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The signifiers of Vampiryism should never appear in a Bat-comic... :-)

Grifter (the biggest disappointment)

Agreed.  So far, both of the former Wildstorm books have been awful.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks if Voodoo makes it 3 for 3.

Grifter will be an early death, but I'm kind of liking what I've seen in StormWatch.

Chris Fluit said:

Grifter (the biggest disappointment)

Agreed.  So far, both of the former Wildstorm books have been awful.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks if Voodoo makes it 3 for 3.

Once I finish Deathstroke I'll post my thoughts on the DCnU issues I picked up this week.

What I've noticed is that the art in all the issues I've read has been really good. The only series I didn't love the art, was Frankenstein. Even there it just didn't fit my personal taste, but it's not bad art by any means.

While there's a few series I won't be getting past issue one, nothing I read was outright horrendous, imo. Somethings didn't work for me and I didn't feel the need to follow further. But nothing I read made me angry or think that it was outright garbage.

So far I'd say the new 52 has been a success as far as quality goes. At least for me.

Ok here's my DCnU week two thoughts:

Batman & Robin- This one is a keeper for now. I liked the story. I'm eager to see who this mystery villain is. I like Bruce & Damian's dynamic, for now. I'd like to see it evolve as the series goes on, though. As of right now, it makes the cut.

Deathstroke- Picked up on a whim. Great art and fun story. Slade is a major SOB but that's ok. It appears he was set up and I want to see where this goes. I had a feeling this "team" was temporary. They were far to eager and annoying to be long term characters. I knew right away that they were going to be cannon fodder. This makes the cut.

Demon Knights- A lot of fun. Great art and cool story. I like the main character of Jason Blood/Etrigan. I also like this love triangle that Cornell dropped on us. It makes the cut.

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.- Interesting concept and lead character. The art while not bad didn't exactly work for me. I don't think I'm going to add it to the file just yet, but I will probably pick up issue 2 next month if I feel like it and if it hasn't sold out. 

Green Lantern- I figured with Geoff Johns still on writing duty for this it'd be good. However, I think this is as good as the solo GL book has been in a long time. It's usually solid but I like where it's going. It makes the cut.

Red Lanterns- I was excited about this but it disapointed. Atroticus came across as a capable lead untill he became a debbie downer. It stays in the file because I see it has some potential.

Since I finally picked up my books and since we're grading:

• Action: A--a great story with Superman being both noble, rebellious with some swagger! Jimmy looked a little too much like Shaggy/Bob Denver. Looking forward to #2 and hoping Superman is the same.
  • Batgirl--C+--needs work and intensity. Barbara is just there and I want a reason why she even wants to fight crime again.
  • Batman & Robin: B--is Morrison the only one who can write for Damian? Will Batman go back to his usual way of driving his sidekicks away?
  • Batwoman: A--would be even better if it was meant to be part of the new 52! Amazing artwork!
  • Demon Knights: B-  --a demon, witch and crossdresser go into a bar... Looks like solid fun. But do these characters have staying power, especially Etrigan who was never a top tier book?
  • Detective C+ --far too violent and gruesome but have to know what's really going on!
  • Frankenstein: C+ --too many cliches but I love the Creature Commandos and the Universal Monsters! Fingers cossed!
  • Green Arrow: B-  a far younger Oliver Queen with Smallville influences Very apparent! Should have just made Naomi a blonde and get it over with! But what's Arsenal's deal NOW?
  • Green Lantern: A because Sinestro fighting his own Corps is intriguing and loser Hal finally has to grow the frak up! Hopefully.....
  • Hawk & Dove: D this will be the first one I drop after three issues! Not getting into it and Hank is still a jerk!
  • Justice League: B+ I don't like long origin stories but I do like the bickering between Bats and GL. That should continue to the present day! But is Cyborg necessary? Can't answer that now! Is the mystery woman Raven? Or Wonder Woman?
  • Justice League International: B-  A bit too much like the original series with this Briggs guy for Max Lord. Booster as leader? .I liked the intensity of Generation Lost better. But this is a more serious Guy Gardner???
  • Legion Lost: B the Legion trapped in our present? How 90s! Timber Wolf, Wildfire, Tyroc, Dawnstar and Tellus are a real powerful team so it depends how much interaction there is with the DCnU!
  • Mister Terrific: C Wouldn't have gave it much chance before they erased the JSA. "Karen Starr" is just a slap to Power Girl fans.
  • OMAC: C+ a lot of potential but do we need Kirby imitations? We'll see.
  • Resurrection Man: A very interesting and seperate from the rest of the 52 for now. Possibly the sleeper hit!
  • Suicide Squad: D+ I needed a bath afterwards. There is a kernel of potential here but it's too depressing. First story arc. If not better--dropped!
  • Superboy: C not feeling it. Too weird and too pessimistic.
  • Swamp Thing: B+ very solid with both creepy and poignant moments. But I expect Swamp Thing to be great and shocking and innovative and deep. Solid is a disappointment.

I will do this for the next batch and for the #2s, if able.

I like your approach, Don.

Here's my own list, from the first two weeks:

DEFINITELY:

Justice League: I would have preferred a quick start over the slow burn but I'm willing to give the flagship title of the new 52 a couple of issues to find it's legs

Justice League International: I understand the complaints that this one isn't as new-reader friendly as it's supposed to be but I'm not a new reader and I loved it; it hit all of the right beats for me; it was reminiscent of the Giffen/Maguire League without being a straight copycat; my favorite issue from week one

Green Lantern: the best book from the second week; I like the contrast between Sinestro and Hal as one would give anything to be a Green Lantern and the other would give anything to quit

Red Lantern: I really enjoyed this; admittedly it was more back-story and set-up but I really like the set-up; Atrocitus is poised as a cross between the Spectre and the Godfather- an avatar of vengeance who's simultaneously trying to keep his own people in line

MAYBE, MAYBE NOT:

Action Comics: I enjoyed the interaction between Lois and Jimmy more than Superman himself; I don't mind the back to basics approach but I thought it was a fairly average comic despite all of the hullaballoo

Batgirl: I'm leaning towards a second issue on this one since others won't make the cut but I agree that we need to see a little more motivation for why she's back in costume

Hawk & Dove: I apparently liked this one more than most; I felt like some of the pages were wasted but I liked that they each had someone outside of the partnership to talk to, Hank with his dad and Dawn with Deadman

Static Shock: I'm a huge fan of the character but this issue was only okay; I do like the way that he's this big superhero on the street but he's still teased by his sister at home

NO, JUST...NO:

Stormwatch: I already said that I thought it was awful; even as a former Wildstorm reader, I'd appreciate it if characters were introduced by name and their powers were explained in some way; plus, the story lurched from the mundane (the refused recruitment pitch) to the inexplicable (the moon is turning into a giant hand)  

Swamp Thing: probably the most potential of my "no" titles as it opened with a decent mystery (the sudden death of hundreds of animals) but it was very talk-y in the middle and the ending was more confusing than creepy; I thought the reanimated dinosaur had a shot at being cool but it was misfire for me

Grifter: ugh!  that was awful; not even worth a description

Resurrection Man: I'm not sure I could my finger on the reason why I disliked this one; I think the rough art was part of it; I think Abnett and Lanning also forgot to make us feel sympathetic for Mitch; should have been more like The Fugitive and less like The X-Files

I really liked Superboy, and I think I will really like it if the redhead is supposed to be Caitlin Fairchild. I'm pretty sure that's where this is headed, because someone started to call her "Cait-" but got cut off.

I didn't think Grifter was all that bad. It could have been better for sure, and my favorite version of the character will always be the Joe Casey written one. But this one does seem like it could go somewhere interesting in the next issue.

I also thought Stormwatch could have been good, but the "we are the jerk heroes" thing doesn't do anything for me. Especially not with Midnighter's stupid-looking chin spike.

Huh.  I didn't notice the chin spike until you mentioned it.  That is pretty damn stupid.

JeffCarter said:

I really liked Superboy, and I think I will really like it if the redhead is supposed to be Caitlin Fairchild. I'm pretty sure that's where this is headed, because someone started to call her "Cait-" but got cut off.

I didn't think Grifter was all that bad. It could have been better for sure, and my favorite version of the character will always be the Joe Casey written one. But this one does seem like it could go somewhere interesting in the next issue.

I also thought Stormwatch could have been good, but the "we are the jerk heroes" thing doesn't do anything for me. Especially not with Midnighter's stupid-looking chin spike.

This week's batch.

Picks of the Week:

Wonder Woman: I really enjoyed this issue.  The gods are heavily involved but in a much more interesting way than they've been portrayed in the old DCU recently.  This is how you stick WW in a mystery/problem focusing on myths; JMS should take notes.  Based on the cover, I wasn't expecting to like the art but it was perfect for the tone of the book.  A very good start.

DC Universe Presents: Deadman: I've gotta say, I'm impressed.  I've never been much of a fan of Deadman but this issue worked for me.  Solid art and a story that kept me interested.  I like the idea that he can possess some people willy nilly but with others it's fate.  I'll be back for the rest of the arc.

Surprise of the Week:

Red Hood and the Outlaws: Going into this week's crop, I figured there were two titles I could pretty much guarantee I wouldn't like, this and Captain Atom.  In fact, I suspected I'd hate this comic most of all as it stars not one but three characters I've never cared for, however, RATO surprised the crap out of me.  Ok, I still don't care for the art, the "interesting" panel placements just mess with the story flow, but the writing impressed me.  (Just a warning, if you're attached to Starfire, this issue will probably drive you nuts... but I don't have that problem.)  I'll be back for the next issue.

Dregs of the Week:

Captain Atom: Hands down the worst art of the relaunch with one of my least favourite characters.  Safe to say, I won't be getting another issue.  In all fairness, Captain Atom does try to be Firestorm, that could be an improvement, right?

Catwoman: In the spirit of diversity, DC offers a T&A comic. Don't worry, the plot doesn't get in the way.

Mountains of Meh:

Batman:  Does a good job introducing all the main concepts and how they've been modernized but doesn't really pull me in.  The dressing scene on page 14 makes clear the order of the Robins but takes a lot of liberty with their heights.  (If a "new reader" were also to pick up Nightwing, I could see this confusing more so than making things clear.)  I'll give Snyder a couple more issues to win me over but this is based more on his fantastic Detective run rather than this issue.

Green Lantern Corps:  If you want the GLC to take a threat seriously, you need to have either gruesomely murdered Lanterns or a planet completely killed off.  You know this is going to be serious because they do both!  I like the Guy and John character moments but this is a by the numbers, violent book simply for the sake of being violent.  I'll probably pick up the next issue but if it's more of the same, this will probably be one I drop.

Blue Beetle: I loved the last Blue Beetle series, so my expectations for this book were quite high.  It wasn't bad, per se... but I was hoping for better.  I wonder if DC said, "Do a series like the last one but really play up the Green Lantern and Spanish connections"?  I don't know, it just seemed kind of unsatisfying, and I have to say, I don't like the subtle changes they've made to Paco.  I'll be back for the next issue to see if they can get the magic back but it's not going directly on my pull.

Legion of Super Heroes: I guess DC decided not to even try to get new readers for a Legion series until their origin mini comes out.  Once again, I suspect new readers would have trouble following what's going on and determining why they should care.  Unlike last week's Green Lantern however, this doesn't seem like the next issue of the previous Legion series, it seems like we missed an issue.  It's Legion, I'll be back, but I hope it ramps up soon.

Nightwing: Decent enough.  Nice cliffhanger.  I might check out the next issue, haven't really decided.

Supergirl: The whole issue is about her learning to use her powers.  Not exactly a rip roaring start.  The comic only really stands out for having the most inappropriate costume change.  Woohoo?

Birds of Prey: Not badddd.  I'm kind of tired of the shifting time frame shtick.  Black Canary sports another hideous costume alteration.  (I'm beginning to wonder if my tastes now diverge drastically from the newer generation or if they simply designed these new costumes to be as ugly as possible.)   All in all, there's just not really anything to bring me back for the next issue.

Overall, I thought this was a weak week.  I had some pretty high expectations for Batman, Blue Beetle, and GLC and they didn't quite live up to their promise.  Still, Wonder Woman and DCU Presents were solid books and RATO came out of nowhere.  Could be worse... I hope next week is better though.

This is how Week Three shook out for me:

DEFINTELY:

Batman -- great issue, and I'm usually neutral when it comes to the Bat-verse.  Snyder made me want to read more, and -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- Capullo turned in some good artwork.

DC Universe Presents --  Good enough to bring me back for number 2, at least, even if not much happened.

Legion of Super-Heroes --  Paul Levitz hasn't let me down yet.

Wonder Woman -- Heck yeah!  Brian Azzarello delivers on his promises.  There are elements of mystery and horror, the gods are truly unearthly, and Diana is a wonderful sight. The only thing I don't like, and it's very minor, is that I think the new outfit looks better with the long pants, tradition or no.  Otherwise, I'm loving this.

MAYBE, MAYBE NOT:

Birds of Prey -- the story didn't seem to flow that well.

Blue Beetle -- Unlike Cap, I was a big fan of the old Jamie Reyes series.  This was good, but not as good as the old series, IMO.

Captain Atom -- I really wanted to like this, but I agree with Cap; this read like just half an issue.

Green Lantern Corps -- I liked the "real world" troubles of Guy and John, but that's about all that interested me in this issue.

Nightwing -- Good, but not great. I like the tie-in to what was happening over in Batman. Nice new threads. And can't we call him Richard or Rick?  Just sayin'.

Supergirl -- What characterization we got here was just enough to keep me hanging on for next month -- unless something better grabs my eye.

NO, JUST...NO:

Catwoman:  I've never been interested in Selena as a solo character.  This doesn't change my mind.  Did we really need those final four pages?

Red Hood and the Outlaws:  Approximately five minutes of my life I'll never get back.  That's not my Starfire, either.

This week's score:  Three make the cut easy, eight hang by a thread and two get booted to the curb.

Nightwing -- Good, but not great. I like the tie-in to what was happening over in Batman. Nice new threads. And can't we call him Richard or Rick?  Just sayin'.

You're right.  This would have been the perfect time for people to start calling him Rick. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service