In a past thread, Lumberjack asked me what exactly the New Pulp movement is.

For those who came in late...

Believe it or not, the pulp genre is alive and well today, and basically divided into three categories.

There are companies such as Nostalgia Ventures and Radio Archives that keep issuing new copies of the original material such as the Shadow and Doc Savage.

There are companies such Moonstone and Airship 27 that obtain the licenses to produce new adventures of the classic heroes.

And then there are companies such as Pro Se Press and White Rocket Books that produce strictly new creations within the pulp genre.

Of course there is some overlap between the three categories, but in the end we are all just one big happy family of fans and creative talent keeping the genre alive and kicking.

Below is an ad featuring some of the current New Pulp releases for your potential reading enjoyment.

Views: 1396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll ask around and see if I can get an answer to your question.  Stand by.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Sorry to interject a "Classic Pulp" question in the New Pulp thread, but I'm willing to bet this is a good place to get an answer:

Anyone know where I can find a checklist of Whisperer stories?  (I'm primarily interested in the long-form stories from The Whisperer, rather than the back-ups in The Shadow.)  I've Googled my fingers off without no success. 

Thank you, sir.

Maybe this can help:

http://www.altuspress.com/the-ultimate-pulp-superhero-index/w/

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Thank you, sir.

Perfect.  Thanks, Derrick!

King of Jungle only here to help.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Perfect.  Thanks, Derrick!

It's been a while, but in the time since I last added to this thread, I've researched New Pulp quite a bit.

Over that time I've seen some good and bad stuff, and recently, I stumbled on something that I think is going to turn out to be the game-changer for the genre.

It's New Pulp done EXACTLY right.

Read on, and I would appreciate your comments: My post.

Looks like it's already starting to fade away again. Several companies listed as publishing pulp fiction have annoounced they've closed up.

Wow, so some companies listed in a post from 2-3 years ago aren't all still opened? I'm shocked....

Companies used to last a lot longer than two or three years.

Okay, been a while since I visited this thread, so a quickie update.

The Pro Se Presents magazine was canceled with issue 20 earlier this year, otherwise ALL the companies I mentioned in the starting post (Airship 27, Pro Se Press, Moonstone, Nostalgia Ventures, Radio Archives, and White Rocket Books) are alive and well.

There is now also New Babel Books...

...which will be publishing a project I contributed to this winter entitled Singularity: Rise of the Post-Humans, including a story by DAVID MICHELINIE! Along with Jennie Wood, Nancy Hansen, John F. Allen, Brant Folwer, series concept creator Jamie Ramos, and myself.

...and Mechanoid Press, which has published two volumes (to date) in their wonderful, kaiju inspired Monster Earth series.

Meanwhile, since my last post on this thread, I have written (and seen published) two books in the Hugh Monn, Private Detective series, (the first an anthology featuring the title character and the second his first full length novel entitled Catch A Rising Star). The first book for Alpha the superhero was officially entitled Project Alpha, to avoid confusion with another book that was being released about the same time as mine, and numerous short stories.

I have a lot more short stories either in progress or awaiting publication, and am also at work on Alpha, Book 2: Wayward Son; as the fledgling superhero searches for his place in the universe after the conclusion of Book 1. I am working diligently on this manuscript because I want it to be as perfect as humanly possible considering where Alpha winds up calling "home" and the fact this novel will be the foundation for the future of the series, which is currently plotted through the sixth volume.

Everything by everyone can be found on Amazon, so happy reading!

How do you download Pro Se Press' submission guidelines? I tried and couldn't read it.

In all honesty Ron, I'm not sure that page of the website is downloadable.

You can always copy and paste the information from http://prose-press.com/submission-guidelines/ into a separate word document for reference.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service