The New Pulp Movement

In a past thread, Lumberjack asked me what exactly the New Pulp movement is.

For those who came in late...

Believe it or not, the pulp genre is alive and well today, and basically divided into three categories.

There are companies such as Nostalgia Ventures and Radio Archives that keep issuing new copies of the original material such as the Shadow and Doc Savage.

There are companies such Moonstone and Airship 27 that obtain the licenses to produce new adventures of the classic heroes.

And then there are companies such as Pro Se Press and White Rocket Books that produce strictly new creations within the pulp genre.

Of course there is some overlap between the three categories, but in the end we are all just one big happy family of fans and creative talent keeping the genre alive and kicking.

Below is an ad featuring some of the current New Pulp releases for your potential reading enjoyment.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the info, Lee! As I mentioned before, I love pulp magazines, so I'll give you a looksee at some of things I do.

I was just in the used bookstore on Friday, rooting through the stacks looking for some collected editions of old pulp stories -- and yep, I found one: "Worlds of Maybe" edited by Robert Silverberg.

Over on Facebook, I run a Domino Lady fan page which is a lot of fun.

On my Website, I have a long-running feature that studies pulp cover art and occasionally tackles the stories inside.

Also at my site, I offer up pulp adventure ideas for role-playing games.

So what can you tell us about your contributions to this genre? Aside from your own work, what's some of your favorite new authors?

(And finally, check your on-site e-mail. I just sent you a message!)

• Oh boy. There are certainly a host of talented creators out there, and I would hate to omit anyone. Yet you cannot go wrong with the works of Bobby Nash, Derrick Ferguson, Ian Watson, Ken Janssens, Nancy A. Hansen, and Van Allen Plexico. I'm sure those that I forgot to mention will let me know  about it ere long

1936051880?profile=original

As to my own humble contributions to the genre, everything I have done thus far has been via Pro Se Press.

I contributed the short story "Y-239" to the first issue of Peculiar Adventures and my homage to the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs: Wylde World started with that magazine's second issue.

I wrote "The Way of the World" for the first issue of Fantasy and Fear before serving as story editor for the next two issues of that title.

Hugh Monn, Private Detective appeared within the first two issues of Masked Gun Mystery but will soon be out in his first book before the end of 2011; and I am working on Alpha, an original superhero novel that will be published towards the latter half of 2012. When I submit that novel (am inbetween the first and second drafts right now), I will then start work on Hugh's second book, and will probably alternate between the two series from that point on, depending upon future developments.

The monthly Pro Se Presents replaced the three original magazines. I am editor of the Fantasy and Fear stories, with the former editors of the other two magazines overseeing their respective stories in the new title.

• Jack:

Hope my response to both your inquiries helped.

Lee.

• Derrick Ferguson here chiming in with my $1.50.  At the Pulp Ark convention both Lee and I attended a few months back, a definition of what New Pulp is was put forth and I present it here for your contemplation and conversation:

PULP IS...fast paced, plot oriented storytelling of a linear nature with clearly defined, larger than life protagonists and antagonists, creative descriptions, clever use of turns of phrase, words, as well as other aspects of writing that add to the intensity and pacing of the story.

NEW PULP is a movement of writers, artists and other imaginative souls to create new Pulp Fiction for the modern age.

For more information as well as keeping up to date with what's going in the movement I invite you to check out New Pulp

• One of my favorites of the new pulp heroes ... and I know he's existed since the 1990s  ... is BlackJack.

Here's an interview with his creator: http://booksadventures.blogspot.com/2011/02/alex-simmons-interview-...

• Very many well-known SF authors got their start in the pulps, and mass market paperback reprints of their pulp work were common into the 80s. An example is the Panther reprints of E.E. 'Doc' Smith's Skylark and Lensmen series from the 70s; most of the stories first appeared in pulps.

Sometimes the pulp origins of the material is made clear in the books' indicias, but not always. For example, I have a copy of Adam Link, Robot by Eando Binder (actually Earl and Otto Binder). This is a fix-up of some of the Adam Link stories, but the copy just has the date of the edition. The Ace edition of Twin Worlds by Neal R. Jones has a 1967 copyright date, but it reprints stories that originally appeared in the 1930s.
  • Yup-yup!

As Luke mentions, it happens all the time -- even in more modern pulps. Case in point, during my trip to the local used book store the other day, I also found "The Adventures of Terra Tarkington," which is the story of a member of the Interstellar Nurse Corps and her misadventures aboard the Bull Run in "the neck of Cygnus the Swan."

The story originally appeared in the pages of Asimov's in the late 1970s. Asimov's, of course, is one of the descendants of the original pulp magazines.  Author Sharon Webb tweaked the stories to make them a long-form novel and by 1985 it was published.

I just started reading it last night, and a page into it and I was already laughing.

• I have several paperbacks from the 1960s/70s reprinting pulp novels of the past, especially a lot of The Shadow! 1936051903?profile=original

Pulp is definitely alive and well.

• The 70's is when I discovered Pulp.  There was a major Pulp boom going on what with the reprinting of Classic Pulp characters such as Doc Savage with those outasight James Bama covers and The Shadow with the Jim Steranko covers.  And then you had the paperback men's adventure series that were nothing more than modern day pulps.  Guys like The Executioner, The Destroyer, The Inquistor, K'ing Kung Fu (with Barry Smith covers!) and even more.
  • ...Yeah , so...How does " New Pulp " adventure fiction differ from any twelve brand-name/random modern-day thick paperback thriller/crime/whatevers that a trip to Walgreens' or Rite Aid with a $125 gift card could get you right now ?

1930s settings and vintage swing/show/cabaret records namedropped as playing in the background ? Oooh , that's original .

This reply was deleted.