In a past thread, Lumberjack asked me what exactly the New Pulp movement is.

For those who came in late...

Believe it or not, the pulp genre is alive and well today, and basically divided into three categories.

There are companies such as Nostalgia Ventures and Radio Archives that keep issuing new copies of the original material such as the Shadow and Doc Savage.

There are companies such Moonstone and Airship 27 that obtain the licenses to produce new adventures of the classic heroes.

And then there are companies such as Pro Se Press and White Rocket Books that produce strictly new creations within the pulp genre.

Of course there is some overlap between the three categories, but in the end we are all just one big happy family of fans and creative talent keeping the genre alive and kicking.

Below is an ad featuring some of the current New Pulp releases for your potential reading enjoyment.

Views: 1452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't just get a virus did I?

I dunno you better run an anti-virus program.

Didn't pick up anything. Something wrong with the site?

I can't speak for the site, since I'm not very tech savvy beyond my own PC, but like I said before: I've never known the submission guidelines page to be downloadable to begin with.

The link from New Pulp to Pro Se Press is broken.

Derrick Ferguson said:

Derrick Ferguson here chiming in with my $1.50.  At the Pulp Ark convention both Lee and I attended a few months back, a definition of what New Pulp is was put forth and I present it here for your contemplation and conversation:

PULP IS...fast paced, plot oriented storytelling of a linear nature with clearly defined, larger than life protagonists and antagonists, creative descriptions, clever use of turns of phrase, words, as well as other aspects of writing that add to the intensity and pacing of the story.

NEW PULP is a movement of writers, artists and other imaginative souls to create new Pulp Fiction for the modern age.

For more information as well as keeping up to date with what's going in the movement I invite you to check out New Pulp

That's because the link was for the OLD Pro Se Press website Ron.

The NEW e-address is: http://prose-press.com/

Are they thinking of changing their name?

The Hollywood Mystery book sounds like the novels Western used to publish. Deanna Durbin runs into a mystery, gathers all the clues by herself, then, the writer ruins the ending by having her sent to get help. By the time she returns the crooks are caught and someone has to tell Deanna (and the reader) how they caught them. Gregory Peck shows up at a family meeting with his face covered with bandages, pretending to be a horribly burned member of the family so they won't know he's an imposter, knowing the danger he'd be in if they figure out he's a fake.  

Change the name? Not as far as I know.

Revamp and expand the offerings? Yes, as some of the recent releases proves.

Just wondering why the website change.

Hopefully they won't make the mistakes CBGXtra made. Really liked that site until it locked me out and told me I'd have to accept third party mailings and make a new account if I wanted back in. The opt out feature was too complicated for me to try it.

Subscribed to pro se press' newsletter December 4th. They said I'd receive it every two weeks. Haven't gotten it yet.

As I've said before Ron, I'm strictly on the creative side, not the business end.

I can tell you from my copy that the last PDF newsletter (#7) was dated December 2 and filled with holiday offerings and suggestions.

I suspect the next one will be after the first of the year, but again, I'm just a writer whose work is published by Pro Se, amongst others.

Hope you and everyone else on this blog had a Merry Christmas.—lh,jr.

Just wondering if a new issue had come out since I joined and I somehow didn't get it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Jack Knight and his father Ted Knight, the original Starman (and of course The Shade)"
10 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Busy day on the medical front (don't worry, I'm all right. Just a couple of different…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
8 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Like Father, Like Daughter. Crush & Lobo #3."
9 hours ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Asuka and her mother, Kyoko, in one of their happier "elseworlds""
10 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When you're a parent, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, but to take your son's…"
10 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
""I'm pretty sure Robots was your Pick of the Week!" Found it. (It was just waiting…"
11 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Planet of the Nerds was the first time I'd seen Robinson's art, I think -- his name…"
11 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"How strange... Kryptonian women wear bridal gowns that look exactly like the ones worn in Western…"
11 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I would say it's up to the poster of the image(s). "
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Peter Wrexham said: Sep 2022 Classrooms?? I share Jeff's concern that there might not be…"
11 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I saw Clytaemnestra, a 2021 South Korean movie directed by Ougie Pak about a theater troupe…"
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service